• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

All Aboard the FiiO K9 Pro Hype Train

Kosta

Same here. starting to get into rme dac territory. Will be a tough sale trying to convince the market to spend that kind of money on a fiio

D

Deleted member 22141

My guess is that it will land top of green measurements, possibly bottom of blue.

The feature-set though is all blue and will be cheaper than anything comparable - especially note that it has analog inputs, which nothing else at this price and performance will do.

The RME Pro with the analog inputs will be 2x the price of the Fiio.

Most importantly though is that in the UK I will be able to buy it on Amazon Prime, so get next-day delivery and easy returns if it breaks or I don't like it. That is worth a lot to me compared to the 3-4 week delays, hassles with import duties, difficulty returning, etc. when ordering direct from China.

Taken all together I think that's likely to make it attractive enough to sell reasonably well.

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It will sell pretty well I think.
From what I've read FiiO using a sort of "loyalty program" to distribute the limit amount of units they have with the AK4499. One can say it's a smart marketing move to launch something new which you now you can't fulfill the demand of due AKM shortages and therefore create extra demand as people don't like to feel left out in general.

FiiO will come with an ESS version but everyone seem to consider the AKM version the "superior" version. Would be interesting if Amir can measure them both. My guess is that the AKM and ESS versions will measure slightly different but in the end the differences will be utterly inaudible.
But of course there always will be people who say the AKM version will sound more "organic" and the ESS version more "harsh" :rolleyes:

RHO

Major Contributor
I expect the AKM version to have a lower noise floor compared to the ESS version. When they have the ESS IMD hump fixed, the ESS version could even have lower distortion numbers than the AKM. But both version will be very close in performance.

Lupin

I expect the AKM version to have a lower noise floor compared to the ESS version. When they have the ESS IMD hump fixed, the ESS version could even have lower distortion numbers than the AKM. But both version will be very close in performance.
As i said, measurable differences.

RHO

Major Contributor
As i said, measurable differences.
The noisefloor may be detectable with high sensitive IEMs.
But otherwise ... yeah, just measurable differences.

Lupin

Price and some specs seems to be out and it's going to cost about 800 dollar as expected.
The pre production model WolfX tested didn't measure super bad but at this price point people expect more in 2021.
I can't see how FiiO is going to pull this off unless the final production model measures a lot better. If not.. then FiiO priced itself out of the market considering the offerings from Topping etc.

dtaylo1066

WolfX measurements of the early production/pre production unit do not bode well. For 800 clams it has to do better.

Fenix84

You can buy them from Aliexpress but you have to have a special code or you are paying this absurd amount. I read somewhere else the price is $700 USD

1630602367590.png

FireLion

It's too much, all we are asking for is a more refined 789 with 4.4. and a DAC.

$500, thank you...maybe another $100 for good build quality.

To be honest, I am not seeing any review of this DAC. It's very annoying. Only Wolf have a prototype measurement. Other than that, K9 Pro is a myth.

FireLion

2000mw @ 32 ohm as they tried 6w and couldn't manage the heat. I'll take a zen stack over it.

Giangi71

Someone has further details about K9 Pro? It seems to be a good preamp in balanced mode, but an unknown headset amp also in balanced. Very strange it doesn't have mqa full decoder and only xmos 208. At that price, seems to be better choice EX5 at 1/3

Last edited:

dmac6419

Major Contributor
To be honest, I am not seeing any review of this DAC. It's very annoying. Only Wolf have a prototype measurement. Other than that, K9 Pro is a myth.
You have to buy one and send it in for Amir to maybe test it.

Lupin

Top Bottom