• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

All Aboard the FiiO K9 Pro Hype Train

Veri

Master Contributor
The volume level doesn't even matter, it's that obvious. Now it could be the headphones are playing a part and different hardware matches different with a variety of headphones...but that's part of the point. If all DACS were doing the same thing, we wouldn't have 10 thousand of them competing. The K9 Pro ESS, IMO matches very well to a more wider range of headphones. I've heard this exact sentiment across a ton of different audiophile forums...yeah but some just think they possess some science backed drivel and everyone else is just wrong.
Soo how did you come to that conclusion, because "well it's really obvious" doesn't mean you can't put some effort in a more rigid comparison than say, I bought the new device and seem to like it a lot more :p that just invites so much (confirmation) bias, loudness difference, new toy syndrome, etc etc. I mean it's fine to like it it's another thing to claim it's "so obvious" you don't even need to try and match the before and after lol. Many of us did some volume matched comparison between seemingly inferior set-ups and the differences seem to disappear... our subjective mind is a powerful thing.

I'm not invalidating your experience btw, just trying to illustrate a careful comparison usually invites some very different conclusions.

Hxx

That's nice to hear about positional and soundstage, they really look even more appealing now.
I currently have and use these 3, DT900 Pro X (mainly used in some competitive fps), the Sundara and the AKG K712 Pro (great soundstage for some sp games and night-time TV). Sundaras ain't good for gaming but with proper eq i found them even better than the DT 900 for some edm (let alone classic rock / Pink Floyd stuff).
The one thing I don't enjoy so much about the Hifiman Sundara (and like you said also these XS's) is the huge amount of leakage.
It's the only thing I have to evaluate properly before I buy the new Edition XS.

Btw, I like Zeos's reviews mainly for the unconventional part lol.
And this one above (A taste of Hifi) doesn't quite place the XS on a winning place, the Sundaras are somehow better for him.
I know for sure they're not great for competitive gaming so yeah, maybe I should give the Edition XS a try.
Yeah the Edition XS leak a ton of sound like you can see the driver through the grills and the cup is tall but very thin.
Also on the 900 pro x, i found them to be Excellent for competitive gaming and just generally a really good headphone for the price . The Edition XS is an upgrade and may replace both the sundara and the DT 900 pro x provided u are okay with the sound leakage but also knowing that for competitive gaming i really doubt it will be an upgrade from the 900 pro x but it will be on a whole new level for everything else.

Last edited:

arrow0309

Yeah the Edition XS leak a ton of sound like you can see the driver through the grills and the cup is tall but very thin.
Also on the 900 pro x, i found them to be Excellent for competitive gaming and just generally a really good headphone for the price . The Edition XS is an upgrade and may replace both the sundara and the DT 900 pro x provided u are okay with the sound leakage but also knowing that for competitive gaming i really doubt it will be an upgrade from the 900 pro x but it will be on a whole new level for everything else.
Is this a good price and safe to buy?

arrow0309

Btw. I measured the temp of the ESS K9 and it was 39C on the side vents and front right on top.
So clearly more than the AKM K9 even not by much (36 vs 39).
Now I'm really not sure which one to keep.
Because the AKM wasn't bad and this one it ain't as well.

Hxx

I bought mine for this seller.

TBH as long as you buy it from a store that has a number of orders already , positive feedback, and the store has been opened for some time, then it should be good.

If youre looking for some nicer than stock cables I would also recommend these cables. I got the 4.4 balanced to 3.5 and they are good quality and relative cheap

Last edited:

arrow0309

Btw. I measured the temp of the ESS K9 and it was 39C on the side vents and front right on top.
So clearly more than the AKM K9 even not by much (36 vs 39).
Now I'm really not sure which one to keep.
Because the AKM wasn't bad and this one it ain't as well.
The AKM is back with all its Japanese hype as I love its sound (and btw watching Alice in Borderland right now :D)
The ESS is already on sale (ebay.co.uk)

I bought mine for this seller.

TBH as long as you buy it from a store that has a number of orders already , positive feedback, and the store has been opened for some time, then it should be good.

If youre looking for some nicer than stock cables I would also recommend these cables. I got the 4.4 balanced to 3.5 and they are good quality and relative cheap

OK thanks, I'll think about it when I get the money from the ESS sale.
I already have a custom 4.4mm cable but this one looks great for the price.

arrow0309

Attachments

• 20230201_222020.jpg
    20230201_222020.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 110

Hxx

Top audio mate (although a little big lol)
Yeah bro theyre pretty big thats for sure. They sound amazing and they were a tad too big for me too so i got this geekria headband for about $15 and which made the whole fitment great. Someone on headfi recommended this fix for us with not huge heads. Hifiman must think we all have large sized heads or something lol . Anyway highly recommend this headband or even something cheaper if you manage to find something similar.

Attachments

• BD313970-C928-4929-A900-F83033F5DE8C.jpeg
    BD313970-C928-4929-A900-F83033F5DE8C.jpeg
    279.1 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

arrow0309

Yeah bro theyre pretty big thats for sure. They sound amazing and they were a tad too big for me too so i got this geekria headband for about $15 and which made the whole fitment great. Someone on headfi recommended this fix for us with not huge heads. Hifiman must think we all have large sized heads or something lol . Anyway highly recommend this headband or even something cheaper if you manage to find something similar.
Thanks for the reply, yes they do sound amazing, Daft Punk's Random Access Memories never sounded better but yeah, they're big and it's not only the size but a little headache I'm getting after a nice couple of hours. Yesterday evening I was getting late playing Dead Space Remake and I had to swap them with the DT 900 pro x. It seems the headache is starting on the two sides of the EdXS's headband, close to the metal part.
So now I'll finally sort this one out as well thanks to you!
I'm going to have a nice look and get this extra headband. Cheers mate

Edit:
I assume it was this one below so I bought it, arriving before 10pm, nice!

Last edited:

Hxx

Thanks for the reply, yes they do sound amazing, Daft Punk's Random Access Memories never sounded better but yeah, they're big and it's not only the size but a little headache I'm getting after a nice couple of hours. Yesterday evening I was getting late playing Dead Space Remake and I had to swap them with the DT 900 pro x. It seems the headache is starting on the two sides of the EdXS's headband, close to the metal part.
So now I'll finally sort this one out as well thanks to you!
I'm going to have a nice look and get this extra headband. Cheers mate

Edit:
I assume it was this one below so I bought it, arriving before 10pm, nice!

yeap thats the one. Ive been using mine almost since i bought the headphones and no regrets.
Funny i was playing through the dead space remake as well with these headphones and the k9 pro with 3d sound enabled in game and ofc lights off. Oh man i jumped a few times lmao.

arrow0309

yeap thats the one. Ive been using mine almost since i bought the headphones and no regrets.
Funny i was playing through the dead space remake as well with these headphones and the k9 pro with 3d sound enabled in game and ofc lights off. Oh man i jumped a few times lmao.
Lol, finished it late after midnight but yeah, it was often freaking :D
Also the EDXS + K9 Pro, maybe the best setup ever!

adi518

This is how my K9 arrived (doesn't sit flush on the desktop, without any feet) and it's basically impossible to get help from Fiio. I can't believe they are selling this crap for $800. Let alone the switches on the thing, what were they thinking and what was I thinking when I bought this thing?

Hxx

This is how my K9 arrived (doesn't sit flush on the desktop, without any feet) and it's basically impossible to get help from Fiio. I can't believe they are selling this crap for $800. Let alone the switches on the thing, what were they thinking and what was I thinking when I bought this thing?

the buttons are a bit of a pain i agree but after so many uses you will memorize them or at least the buttons u use the most. Cant comment on it being flush as i use mine with the provided rubber feet

adi518

It's not about memorizing them, it's that they are flimsy plastic switches that won't hold through the test of time. I noticed the issue before placing the rubber feet and then even with the rubber feet it does that, which means the chassis is bent just enough that it won't sit flush. Fiio support sucks.

panther

Just wondering if the FIIO contol app lets you EQ,apply filters and change the volume when running on the USB input? Also does it stay hot while in standby?
I am considering it or the RME ADI-2 DAC FS for DAC and Pre amp functions basically. But I want the option for headphone use sometimes.

Last edited:
Just wondering if the FIIO contol app lets you EQ,apply filters and change the volume when running on the USB input? Also does it stay hot while in standby?
I am considering it or the RME ADI-2 DAC FS for DAC and Pre amp functions basically. But I want the option for headphone use sometimes.

Volume can be controlled, EQ and filters are bluetooth only AFAIK.
If you need EQ go with the RME.

Easa

I am sort of undecided between DX7 Pro+ and K9 Pro ESS for DT880 Pro (currently) & future LCD-X or TH-900/909. I like the design of FiiO more, also I prefer not to have display, dont care for remote, only sound. What is the local opinion?

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Neither.. get a DAC in fixed volume mode and a headphone amp with R2R volume control.

Top Bottom