• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

All Aboard the FiiO K9 Pro Hype Train

Hxx

My biggest complaint about the original Fiio K9(AKM) is the weird plastic casing inside the enclosure. I'd not trust that..
looks like they identified the hot spots and left those open and then covered everything else with that plastic. in theory it s/b okay i mean certain components on a board require passive cooling others don’t , just like a typical computer motherboard but it is weird that they would choose plastic (out of all materials) for rigidity... like that piece doesnt make sense to me.

Last edited:

arrow0309

looks like they identified the hot spots and left those open and then covered everything else with that plastic. in theory it s/b okay i mean certain components on a board require passive cooling others don’t , just like a typical computer motherboard but it is weird that they would choose plastic (out of all materials) for rigidity... like that piece doesnt make sense to me.
Because it's lighter than metal?
The whole weight would have been different with all that cover in anything other than metal imho (already heavy enough).
BTW I just bought a perfect condition slightly used, £459 one, K9 Pro (AKM).
I suppose will even be cooler than my previous (short period) Asgard 3 (with or without the inner plastic casing). :)

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The whole weight would have been different with all that cover in anything other than metal imho (already heavy enough).
BTW I just bought a perfect condition slightly used, £459 one, K9 Pro (AKM).
I suppose will even be cooler than my previous (short period) Asgard 3 (with or without the inner plastic casing). :)
At this price point... Why not design a chassis that doesn't need these shenanigans being it plastic or metal to begin with??

Hxx

whatever their reasons are, it is an odd choice. i dont think its weight its likely a cost savings issue and using something that wont cause any grounding issues given that it sits on the pcb. either way they could have done something more elegant for $850 US price but it is what it is. Ive had mine for over 6months without any issues and really like the unit so hopefully it remains functional for a long while lol

arrow0309

whatever their reasons are, it is an odd choice. i dont think its weight its likely a cost savings issue and using something that wont cause any grounding issues given that it sits on the pcb. either way they could have done something more elegant for $850 US price but it is what it is. Ive had mine for over 6months without any issues and really like the unit so hopefully it remains functional for a long while lol
Well will see how they'll perform long term wise and if the internal temperature is not an issue no worries then.
But if that is / improves somehow lowering it / out of warranty (or not) we'll modify it by simply adding more holes to the plastic case and to the external sides like the ESS is having:

Or even a top clear window mod:

I honestly hope not as I don't like either one of them.

arrow0309

Arrived, can't wait to install it.
Do you mates want to tell me what usb driver should I download and install?
A link would be better.
Because I have checked yesterday evening and found 2 different vers.
The last one (v. 5.30 I think) was a Google drive link and wasn't even functional.
Topping is way clearer to their drivers and the compatible devices. 20221219_132226.jpg

Veri

Master Contributor
Arrived, can't wait to install it.
Do you mates want to tell me what usb driver should I download and install?
Note that installing the driver should be optional, up-to-date Windows, Mac or Linux OS will all have a general purpose driver to interface with it.
And if you're still on Windows 7... well, upgrade. It's freaking old and way past its end of life.

arrow0309

Note that installing the driver should be optional, up-to-date Windows, Mac or Linux OS will all have a general purpose driver to interface with it.
And if you're still on Windows 7... well, upgrade. It's freaking old and way past its end of life.
I've a gaming rig with 12900KS and a RTX 4080 gpu, obviously on the latest update of Windows 11 :)

Well will see how they'll perform long term wise and if the internal temperature is not an issue no worries then.
But if that is / improves somehow lowering it / out of warranty (or not) we'll modify it by simply adding more holes to the plastic case and to the external sides like the ESS is having:

Or even a top clear window mod:

I honestly hope not as I don't like either one of them.
I've had my K9 (AKM) for over a year now, no issues so far. The device gets warm, but it hasn't gotten so hot that i'd be worried about internal damage.

arrow0309

The Sundara sound fine with Pink Floyd.
Gonna try something else, nice pice of a headphone amp, love it.

20221219_174016.jpg

Edit: also Giorgio by Moroder (by Daft Punk) sounds sooo nice and there is bass with the Sundaras :)

Last edited:

Johnny Fire

hello! may i bring a problem i have with the K9 PRO ESS?

K9 PRO ESS distorted my Speakers (AirPulse A300) but Topping D90SE not.

at topping i can select 4v and 5v, at 4v all works clean, at 5v i have distortion at my speakers

with K9 PRO ESS i have the same distortion i had with 5v at topping d90se, cant select 4v or something to fix it at K9 PRO ESS

im using bitperfect excluvise mode asio and wasapi.... the only way to hear normal audio is to put 50% volume at windows from and to player when i use bitperfect
or use eq and change the gain to -4.0db that i dont like and trust

the only workaround is to low the volume but this is not a fix...

topping gives us options and works out of the box as it should!

cant even enjoy the producy i buy to the fullest with this issue

The K9 PRO ESS uses for sure 5V for output xlr and rca, fiio didnt ever consider that 5V is not compatible to all devices?

hope they release a firmware to fix this issue and use topping aproach!

FiiO K9 PRO ESS

Single-ended line output performance parameters

Line Level 2.5Vrms

Balanced line output performance parameters

Line Level 5Vrms

Τopping D90SE

RCA LINE OUT

2.1Vrms (Mode 4V)
2.6Vrms (Mode 5V)

XLR LINE OUT

4.2VRMS (MODE 4V)
5.2VRMS (MODE 5V)

Johnny Fire

I fear they haven't, no.

sounds awful with 100% volume or bitperfect and the worst part is all 2 K9s has this problem....
from K7 and down the Volts on RCAs are normal!
i send em mail messages posts...i done it all i hope they listen! dont know if other have this problem or even notice it... but its a vital issue needs to be fixed
still waiting....fiio support sucks

Last edited:

arrow0309

I just won myself an ebay auction of a £500 +15 brand new (yet no invoice, tbd warranty) K9 Pro ESS :)
I will keep only one of course but atm I'm not convinced about it.
Also wanted to ask about their temperature, I thought the AKM / first versions were worse yet my unit measured only 36C max (numerous readings after hours).
And I can see here the newer K9 ESS is getting way warmer even with all it's side vents:

Hxx

I just won myself an ebay auction of a £500 +15 brand new (yet no invoice, tbd warranty) K9 Pro ESS :)
I will keep only one of course but atm I'm not convinced about it.
Also wanted to ask about their temperature, I thought the AKM / first versions were worse yet my unit measured only 36C max (numerous readings after hours).
And I can see here the newer K9 ESS is getting way warmer even with all it's side vents:

there is no way my ESS model hits more than 30C its basically lukewarm to the touch. this is after a couple hours of gaming and using the balanced output with a hifiman edition XS. I realize the ambient temp is colder now but I would imagine another few degree max in the summer

Attachments

• 4BB45DB3-3E74-47F9-8835-76C473B8FD2D.jpeg
    4BB45DB3-3E74-47F9-8835-76C473B8FD2D.jpeg
    178.7 KB · Views: 98

arrow0309

there is no way my ESS model hits more than 30C its basically lukewarm to the touch. this is after a couple hours of gaming and using the balanced output with a hifiman edition XS. I realize the ambient temp is colder now but I would imagine another few degree max in the summer
Great, I'm a happy man now since I've just received the parcel today (with the new K9 ESS) and can't wait to get back from Italy the 12th.
It was kinda obvious for me as well since both it's internal plastic shield and the aluminium casing are improved with airflow vents (especially on the external casing), I might have read somewhere that a regular horizontal mount would work out even better than the new vertical style (I don't like either, will just sit under my monitor, central and horizontal like the others dacs I've had).
And soon there will be a nice AKM one on the ebay.co.uk :p
Can I just ask you how are you enjoying the Edition XS's? Gaming and music wise?
I'm keeping an eye on them (currently at Scan.co.uk) also I've just watched Zeos Z_Reviews (didn't know there was a newer "II" model).

Hxx

Can I just ask you how are you enjoying the Edition XS's? Gaming and music wise?
I'm keeping an eye on them (currently at Scan.co.uk) also I've just watched Zeos Z_Reviews (didn't know there was a newer "II" model).
I bought them a few months ago in October and i love them. I play a decent amount of competitive fps games and these do a very good job with positional sound in games. They have a tall soundstage and very focused imaging.
In terms of music, i listen to alot of Dance / EDM and man they are..... FANTASTIC lmao, no regrets. Just make sure you're alone in the room when you crank these bad boys up because they leak a ton of sound.

At one point i owned a DT 1990 pro, a DT 900 pro x, and the Sennheiser HD560s. These Hifimans replaced basically all of them and i plan to keep them until i have the cash for a pair of Focal Clears or something in that range.

I also bought them from Aliexpress for about $320 USD and the low price pushed me into upgrading. I highly recommend them even at their $500 USD retail price. If you want some good reviews on them , maybe start with this guy. Zeos is abit too unconventional lol

Last edited:

arrow0309

I bought them a few months ago in October and i love them. I play a decent amount of competitive fps games and these do a very good job with positional sound in games. They have a tall soundstage and very focused imaging.
In terms of music, i listen to alot of Dance / EDM and man they are..... FANTASTIC lmao, no regrets. Just make sure you're alone in the room when you crank these bad boys up because they leak a ton of sound.

At one point i owned a DT 1990 pro, a DT 900 pro x, and the Sennheiser HD560s. These Hifimans replaced basically all of them and i plan to keep them until i have the cash for a pair of Focal Clears or something in that range.

I also bought them from Aliexpress for about $320 USD and the low price pushed me into upgrading. I highly recommend them even at their $500 USD retail price. If you want some good reviews on them , maybe start with this guy. Zeos is abit too unconventional lol
That's nice to hear about positional and soundstage, they really look even more appealing now.
I currently have and use these 3, DT900 Pro X (mainly used in some competitive fps), the Sundara and the AKG K712 Pro (great soundstage for some sp games and night-time TV). Sundaras ain't good for gaming but with proper eq i found them even better than the DT 900 for some edm (let alone classic rock / Pink Floyd stuff).
The one thing I don't enjoy so much about the Hifiman Sundara (and like you said also these XS's) is the huge amount of leakage.
It's the only thing I have to evaluate properly before I buy the new Edition XS.

Btw, I like Zeos's reviews mainly for the unconventional part lol.
And this one above (A taste of Hifi) doesn't quite place the XS on a winning place, the Sundaras are somehow better for him.
I know for sure they're not great for competitive gaming so yeah, maybe I should give the Edition XS a try.

ACE76

But that is the problem. You didn't level test it so the K9 is at a higher level. There really can't be any difference between the 2 devices went set up correctly for a test. There is a very long thread here for you.
It's painful reading how utterly pathetic the reading comprehension skills some have here...at this point a grade schooler would understand what he's saying to you yet you still don't get it. He said he played the Topping at a higher volume and it still wasn't as clear as the K9 Pro ESS...said it multiple times no less. Audio clarity and volume level are exclusive of one another. The sound doesn't magically become more clear because it's playing at a higher level. Your simply listening to the same level of clarity/distortion at a higher level...and he's absolutely right. The K9 Pro ESS is far more detailed and clearer than the Topping. I have the Focal Celestee, HD800s and Focal Clear. I tested all three on both the K9 Pro ESS and Topping DX5. Both units set to exactly 50% volume, it's a night and day difference between these two. I can't speak for other headphones but on my units I can clearly hear more detail. Less on the HD800s but there's no question on the Focal (especially Celestee). The DX5 isn't a bad DAC/AMP but I think the K9 Pro ESS is far more suited to a wider range of headphones.

ACE76

Fair enough....i feel you put too little into what people actually hear when such an obvious example is provided. I like frequency graphs and thats why i created an account here. Most well measuring items match and sound expectedly good to my ears. The same goes for bad measuring stuff. I also find deciding on good kit is more reliable when looking at graphs and measurements. But there are differences the science doesn't articulate and this topping/fiio example is beyond question for me, unless my ears suddenly and drastically change in that one song segment when i swap them over. Of course i challenge you to A>B youself....you can't i realise, but i feel you wouldn't either way as you seem exceedingly entrenched in your thinking.

Enough said.
I have both of these DAC/AMPS and three high end headphones...I don't know how people can say there's no difference. There absolutely is. People can argue on why there's differences and what may be causing it but I have listened to literally 200+ hours on both with Focal Celestee, Clear and the HD800s and there's a night and day difference in audio signature between these units. I have made my wife listen to both with all my headphones and we both agree that the K9 Pro ESS sounds considerably more detailed. The volume level doesn't even matter, it's that obvious. Now it could be the headphones are playing a part and different hardware matches different with a variety of headphones...but that's part of the point. If all DACS were doing the same thing, we wouldn't have 10 thousand of them competing. The K9 Pro ESS, IMO matches very well to a more wider range of headphones. I've heard this exact sentiment across a ton of different audiophile forums...yeah but some just think they possess some science backed drivel and everyone else is just wrong.

Top Bottom