• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

All Aboard the FiiO K9 Pro Hype Train

raps1514

Why do you say that measuring dacs are worthless? Of course measurements are needed so that one knows whether the DAC is functioning properly but after that listening comes into play. Not all DACs that have high SINAD sound good and not all DACs that have low SINAD sound bad. Case in point is the Fiio K5 Pro. Measurements are here. The results are 82 SINAD in the red band and it is recommended by Amir himself !!. Here is the SINAD graph from the link... I highlighted where K5 Pro is.

View attachment 221367

View attachment 221368

I own this DAC/AMP and I find no faults with the unit even though the SINAD is low and it is agreeable by Amir I guess after listening to it. We shouldn't give all credit to measurements but listening plays a part too.

I think allowances should be made on hearsay at least to owners of DACs when they hear differences between DACs they owned. They have more experience with the units and have lived with them. Anyway this is my 2 cents.
New member here. See the measurements for K5. Think we’ll get them for this K9 Pro as well?

Georgrig

yes there is standby 1 quick press on the front power button. there is also soft shut down/sleep mode - 4 sec press on the front power button.
you can switch inputs on the remote app but u cannot switch outputs

That's not standby; that's the mute

yavormoskov

I have a question about the K9 Pro ESS. I have the stack Topping D50s/A50s/P50. Do you think K9 Pro ESS would be an upgrade, sonically?

Hxx

I have a question about the K9 Pro ESS. I have the stack Topping D50s/A50s/P50. Do you think K9 Pro ESS would be an upgrade, sonically?
i dont own those units but im fairly certain it wont be an upgrade sonically. i really like my k9 pro but i bought it because of the features - 2 usb ports, RCA and balanced ouput in a AIO. I have 2 computers and using the fiio as the main "audio hub" if that makes sense and works excellent , but i would have settled for something much cheaper if i didnt care for the features.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here we go again. No

jd_cincy

I bought a D90SE / A90D stack planning to use the DAC as a source to an AVR, but didn't wind up doing that and I'm going to consolidate into a DAC / AMP. Considering this and a D7 Pro+. I don't see reviews for either of those units, but I'm happy with the sound of the current Topping stack. Should I consider this K9 instead of the D7?

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought a D90SE / A90D stack planning to use the DAC as a source to an AVR, but didn't wind up doing that and I'm going to consolidate into a DAC / AMP. Considering this and a D7 Pro+. I don't see reviews for either of those units, but I'm happy with the sound of the current Topping stack. Should I consider this K9 instead of the D7?
I wouldn't unless there is a feature you need. Both are transparent.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
K9 right in the name. Everybody likes dogs.

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Objectively there will be no difference, both will do just fine.

Besides that... personally I would not even consider the K9 (pro)
I just don't want to support a brand that pushes sales and tries to justify a way too high price tag with audiophile snake-oil mumbo jumbo.

Hxx

I just don't want to support a brand that pushes sales and tries to justify a way too high price tag with audiophile snake-oil mumbo
What brand doesn’t push sales and has some cringy marketing in this hobby ? They have to sell you on that never heard before divine superb escape from reality sound somehow. It’s high priced but depends on which unit(s) you are comparing it to. However since it came out months ago you may be able to snag one at lest in the US for less than its msrp. Audio46 I think had it for $750 at some point or cheaper on ebay

Lupin

What brand doesn’t push sales and has some cringy marketing in this hobby ? They have to sell you on that never heard before divine superb escape from reality sound somehow. It’s high priced but depends on which unit(s) you are comparing it to. However since it came out months ago you may be able to snag one at lest in the US for less than its msrp. Audio46 I think had it for $750 at some point or cheaper on ebay
Just check out the website/product page for Topping/D7 and then for FiiO/K9 (pro), better have them right next to each other.. don't tell me you can't see the difference.
Topping has some weird sentences on their product pages but I think that is because things got (partially) lost in translation. Speaking of which... Topping really should hire someone to proofread their Facebook posts.. The English in the facebook posts is usualy from a doubtful level that makes the whole post super cringy.

Other clear example is to go to Head-Fi and check out the K9 thread how the official FiiO representative is responding to questions/comments/doubts.

LittleEgg

Signed up to post this here.

I was the happy owner of the K9 Pro ESS and the only thing i didn't like was how hot it got. The unit sounded fantastic with a brilliant amount of detail and a warm beatiful enveloping sound(brilliant match for senn hd600 imo). My "go to" track of Dire Straits "romeo and juliet" live alchemy version showed up detail completely obscured by other DAC/AMP's i've tried, including by topping DAC's and even my current Topping DX5, but unfortunately it completely died on me suddenly with the flashing red ring of death after 4 months of light usage. I have zero doubt in my mind it was down to the constant heating up of the unit after an hour or so of use each time. To the point it became borderline HOT to the touch after maybe 2 hours of being on.

I have moved to the Topping DX5 which was £100 less than what i paid for my K9 pro and which is a nice amp but not in the same league sonically. The parts of the aformentioned romeo and juliet track where you can hear the electronic distortion from the guitar speakers is there but completely veiled on the topping, yet it was crystal clear on the K9 pro.

My point here is that its a great sounding unit and amazing value considering the two expensive ESS 9038 Pro's inside, high quality linear power supply, and powerful THX amp...but it truly falls on its arse with its complete lack of heat dissipation and as a result...reliability.

If FIIO pay more attention to dealing with heat they will have an absolute value winner on their hands.

Lupin

My point here is that its a great sounding unit and amazing value considering the two expensive ESS 9038 Pro's inside, high quality linear power supply, and powerful THX amp...
Sounds to me you fel hard for the FiiO marketing...

Hxx

Signed up to post this here.

I was the happy owner of the K9 Pro ESS and the only thing i didn't like was how hot it got. The unit sounded fantastic with a brilliant amount of detail and a warm beatiful enveloping sound(brilliant match for senn hd600 imo). My "go to" track of Dire Straits "romeo and juliet" live alchemy version showed up detail completely obscured by other DAC/AMP's i've tried, including by topping DAC's and even my current Topping DX5, but unfortunately it completely died on me suddenly with the flashing red ring of death after 4 months of light usage. I have zero doubt in my mind it was down to the constant heating up of the unit after an hour or so of use each time. To the point it became borderline HOT to the touch after maybe 2 hours of being on.

I have moved to the Topping DX5 which was £100 less than what i paid for my K9 pro and which is a nice amp but not in the same league sonically. The parts of the aformentioned romeo and juliet track where you can hear the electronic distortion from the guitar speakers is there but completely veiled on the topping, yet it was crystal clear on the K9 pro.

My point here is that its a great sounding unit and amazing value considering the two expensive ESS 9038 Pro's inside, high quality linear power supply, and powerful THX amp...but it truly falls on its arse with its complete lack of heat dissipation and as a result...reliability.

If FIIO pay more attention to dealing with heat they will have an absolute value winner on their hands.
Thanks for sharing . I’ve been turning mine off when not in use (via the front button) . I wish it would go to sleep/hibernate automatically when the usb device turns off . did u try contacting Fiio ?

LittleEgg

Thanks for sharing . I’ve been turning mine off when not in use (via the front button) . I wish it would go to sleep/hibernate automatically when the usb device turns off . did u try contacting Fiio ?
Yeah no worries, i turned mine off at the switch on the back every evening to be sure for the first three months...then no sooner i started utilizing the front button(as heat seemed to cool by using this method too) a couple of weeks later it was kaput.

I didn't contact FiiO because i couldn't be bothered with the hassle of contacing/shipping back and forth etc. I went topping DX5 as i deemed it plenty for my headphones...but its clearly no match for the K9 as mentioned in my above post. At least it doesn't bake and i'm not sat worrying about the longevity of its electrolytic caps!

I was considering the Topping DX7 Pro+ but looking at the asking price and comparing specs to the K9 it just doesn't seem like good value to me. Apparently the ESS9038 pro is about $100 for a single chip, yet the K9 has two(no matter if it makes a tangible difference) and cost less until very recently...not to mention much more power output. Surprised by topping with their latest prices tbh...went DX5 when i did ONLY because i got 15% off.

Sounds to me you fel hard for the FiiO marketing...

How so?

Last edited:
Top Bottom