• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

All Aboard the FiiO K9 Pro Hype Train

dmac6419

Major Contributor
one of the articles that they talk about THX AAA 788+ they said that 788+ increased the "continuous output power" from 0.8 per side in "balance output" from 788 to 2w combined in 788+

The article that I saw:
Ain't no THX 788+ not even on the the THX site only a 688,788 and 888 for high power use (desktop use) Fiio made up 788+maybe because they use 2 of em. 789 was made for drop and 887 for monolith I think.

Last edited:
Ain't no THX 788+ not even on the the THX site only a 688,788 and 888 for high power use (desktop use) Fiio made up 788+maybe because they use 2 of em. 789 was made for drop and 887 for monolith I think.
Yes there isn’t 788+ in THX’s website, fiio claimed in the articles that Fiio have problems using 788 and they have to adjust 788 with THX and THX give the module name as 788+
Article:

Giangi71

Non c'è THX 788+ anche sul sito THX solo un 688.788 e 888 per uso ad alta potenza (uso desktop) Fiio composto da 788+ forse perché ne usato 2 di em. Il 789 è stato creato per il drop e l'887 per il monolith, credo.
788+ è espressamente realizzato solo per FiiO e solo per K9 Pro, because with 788 it has been some issues of overheating. After about 10 mins, at high volume (seems in balanced), the amp stops working

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Yes there isn’t 788+ in THX’s website, fiio claimed in the articles that Fiio have problems using 788 and they have to adjust 788 with THX and THX give the module name as 788+
Article:
I read that ,That's Fiio marketing BS because people are asking questions,2 years in productions $700 everybody else dropping schitt every 4 to 6 month,should have started slow like topping ,smsl,etc,uh uh this their flagship with high prices.Oh almost forgot all they talk about is the AKM fire,this a limited edition, etc everybody else than moved on to different chip with great results.P.S that was part 1& 2 can't wait for part 3.

Last edited:
It came out on head fi just now.
I don't know why it takes two years for them to launch their "high-end DAC Amp", but they could be resetting their development with K7 series and K9 Series, in additional to the pandemic, and AKM factory issue, this could have cause a massive delay to their production.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
It came out on head fi just now.
I don't know why it takes two years for them to launch their "high-end DAC Amp", but they could be resetting their development with K7 series and K9 Series, in additional to the pandemic, and AKM factory issue, this could have cause a massive delay to their production.
Nope

anyways the presales in Hong Kong is done and I am planning to buy something else anyways. Also, there is a volume issue?

Noodles

Also Head Fi deleting post if you say something negative about it,Jude should be ashamed.
Yeah shameful ... several people have complained that their comments got deleted on the k9 pro thread. We can't even judge if they were being extra salty or just going against the marketing hype ...

Giangi71

Arrived on Friday. At the moment the K9 Pro has some mqa rendering issues but overall it is a good device

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Yeah shameful ... several people have complained that their comments got deleted on the k9 pro thread. We can't even judge if they were being extra salty or just going against the marketing hype ...
After I thought about it, FiiO deleted the comments,as they are running that thread, they're on part five now,never seen a manufacturer trying to sell something so hard.

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
FiiO is posting message after message why it took so long for the K9Pro to release with one delay after another.
According to FiiO it's all because of the QC and testing and then more testing to make sure it meet their "high standards"..

Finally it gets released and from day one there is a firmware bug that causes issues with MQA rendering... now we know what QC and testing really means for FiiO, exactly nothing as they never caught the rendering bug that has been there since designing the unit..

I have been following the thread on Head-Fi and it is sad to see how much power a manufacturer has on that forum. It's not just FiiO, same goes for iFi.
iFi is going on and on about how their €200 optical s/pdif purifier is making the background darker, greater smoothness, more air and less dryness. But wait you're not getting all that before at least 50 hours of burn in of course.. :facepalm:
Best part is that iFi also talked about how galvanic isolation will improve the sound of an optical S/PDIF signal :facepalm::facepalm:

But hey don't dare to go against iFi on that forum as your account will not last long in that case o_O:mad:

Giangi71

FiiO is posting message after message why it took so long for the K9Pro to release with one delay after another.
According to FiiO it's all because of the QC and testing and then more testing to make sure it meet their "high standards"..

Finally it gets released and from day one there is a firmware bug that causes issues with MQA rendering... now we know what QC and testing really means for FiiO, exactly nothing as they never caught the rendering bug that has been there since designing the unit..

I have been following the thread on Head-Fi and it is sad to see how much power a manufacturer has on that forum. It's not just FiiO, same goes for iFi.
iFi is going on and on about how their €200 optical s/pdif purifier is making the background darker, greater smoothness, more air and less dryness. But wait you're not getting all that before at least 50 hours of burn in of course.. :facepalm:
Best part is that iFi also talked about how galvanic isolation will improve the sound of an optical S/PDIF signal :facepalm::facepalm:

But hey don't dare to go against iFi on that forum as your account will not last long in that case o_O:mad:
I have the device in question, I have detected the bug but regardless of everything, for me it is a good dac, amp, preamp

Lupin

I have the device in question, I have detected the bug but regardless of everything, for me it is a good dac, amp, preamp
I'm sure the K9pro is a good device as long as you take MQA out of the equation... MQA should be avoided anyway so no biggie :D

I find it "entertaining" to read how FiiO is going on and on about their rigorous QC and testing and that alone justifies one delay after another but yet this firmware bug slips though all this QC and testing and is pushed into the final release model.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
I'm sure the K9pro is a good device as long as you take MQA out of the equation... MQA should be avoided anyway so no biggie :D

I find it "entertaining" to read how FiiO is going on and on about their rigorous QC and testing and that alone justifies one delay after another but yet this firmware bug slips though all this QC and testing and is pushed into the final release model.
I would have been 3 years old in about 4 week's, nothing wrong with the THX 788 but that's old tech should have been THX 888

Giangi71

Needless to say, other devices I had, on day one, also had Mqa rendering and decoding problems as well as other distortion problems. The seriousness of FiiO will be evaluated for how they will be able to solve problems as they arise because no device is free from problems. FiiO puts much of its future credibility on the K9 Pro and I hope they put a lot of effort into that...as I said on headfi

Last edited:

Lupin

I would have been 3 years old in about 4 week's, nothing wrong with the THX 788 but that's old tech should have been THX 888
Tell that to FiiO and they will tell you that the THX 888 module is not used because it's positioned differently.. whatever that means, you can't use it in a device <1000 dollar or something like that.. :rolleyes:

RHO

Major Contributor
Let me guess: Both of you (@Lupin and @dmac6419 ) do not have a job in an R&D department.

Top Bottom