• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

All Aboard the FiiO K9 Pro Hype Train

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Why? When was it launched?
Launched in Asia a couple weeks ago.
FiiO knew for a long time that there was going to be a shortage of AK4499 chips and still pushed forward with the release/launch. This created much more demand than supply, smart marketing one could say. Due the expected shortages the "loyal" FiiO customers were able to pre-register and receive a coupon that enables them to purchase a K9 Pro for the regular price.

So yes FiiO released the K9 Pro but hardly anyone is able to actually purchase one unless you were lucky enough to get a coupon.

From what I've read two more versions, both ESS based, of the K9 Pro are to be released. So somewhere next year there will be three versions of the K9 Pro floating around.
From a marketing point of view FiiO did great as they created much higher demand than supply but for the regular consumer the whole K9 Pro release becomes very messy and confusing.

Yann

I ordered mine right before China holiday. Shipped next week via dhl should be here à few days after. One Guy told me that it's sound like a flagship products . At 700 it's a bargain.

According to specs it is a good value.
Already own a rme with 4493. I will compare

Lupin

There is three version planned:
K9 pro AKM
K9 pro ESS
K9 ESS
K9 Pro LTD based on AK 4499 (only 2000 units available worldwide)
K9 Pro based on 2x ESS 9038 (available december 2021/januari 2022)
K9 based on 2x ESS 9068AS (available spring 2022)

I can already see the subjective reviews where one model is clearly smoother and more natural than the other...:rolleyes:

Lupin

Honestly at this point, I rather wait for the ESS version reviews and measurement than rushing for the AKM version because there shouldn't be much of a difference between two.
My guess is that the measurements results will so close to each other for all three models that there isn't going to be an audible difference. (when similar filters are used)

However the Pro LTD is going to be to most expensive and by far the most "illusive" model so I'm quite sure the subjectivists are going to claim that this model sounds the best. Not just the best, the difference is going to be "night and day" as usual.

Last edited:

aravaioli

I got mine today. Believe the hype, this gives a run for the money to my Flux Audio FA-10. The latter may remain the best headamp I have ever had the pleasure to own but the Fiio does everything right.
It is a 3 Kilos brick that drives my Arya like a breeze. I will post later the results with other headphones but the impression with hard to drive planar is exceptionally good.
Do note that you cannot regulate the volume with the mobile app: however you can access a wealth of other settings including EQ.
I wish I had an RME ADI-2 DAC to compare, but price and lack of BT always keptnme away from that.

Last edited:

aravaioli

I ordered mine right before China holiday. Shipped next week via dhl should be here à few days after. One Guy told me that it's sound like a flagship products . At 700 it's a bargain.

It does sound as a flagship product.

RHO

Major Contributor
I got mine today. Believe the hype, this gives a run for the money to my Flux Audio FA-10. The latter may remain the best headamp I have ever had the pleasure to own but the Fiio does everything right.
It is a 3 Kilos brick that drives my Arya like a breeze. I will post later the results with other headphones but the impression with hard to drive planar is exceptionally good.
Do note that you cannot regulate the volume with the mobile app: however you can access a wealth of other settings including EQ.
I wish I had an RME ADI-2 DAC to compare, but price and lack of BT always keptnme away from that.
There's an app with PEQ that comes with this DAC/amp?
Can you store multiple EQ profiles? Is it easy to switch between profiles?
Can you post screenshots of the app?

aravaioli

It does sound as a flagship product
There's an app with PEQ that comes with this DAC/amp?
Can you store multiple EQ profiles? Is it easy to switch between profiles?
Can you post screenshots of the app?
It is not a parametric EQ and can store only one "Custom" setting. It is not useful to me, i prefer Wavelet or Usbaudiopro player. For iOS users it may be more useful as they have less EQ options.

Last edited:
one of the articles that they talk about THX AAA 788+ they said that 788+ increased the "continuous output power" from 0.8 per side in "balance output" from 788 to 2w combined in 788+

The article that I saw:

Giangi71

uno degli articoli di cui parlano THX AAA 788+ hanno detto che il 788+ ha aumentato la "potenza di uscita continua" da 0,8 per lato in "uscita bilanciata" da 788 a 2w combinati in 788+

L'articolo che ho visto:
sure, but 2W at 32ohm and 1.1W at 300ohm, imho, is impossible

Top Bottom