• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

All Aboard the FiiO K9 Pro Hype Train

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well the K9 pro retreived more detail in my listening tests than my DX5 so probably...yes.
It’s pretty common knowledge on the forum that DAC’s and amps are transparent. Unless they’re flawed or broken.

LittleEgg

It’s pretty common knowledge on the forum that DAC’s and amps are transparent. Unless they’re flawed or broken.

There are OBVIOUS and CLEAR differences between the K9 pro and Topping DX5. I even named the track and the detail...if anyone has these two dac/amps feel free to do the comparison. I fully stand by my comment.

I literally A>B them over and over and the song is so familiar to me having listened to it thousands of times.

Elitzur–Vaidman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There are OBVIOUS and CLEAR differences between the K9 pro and Topping DX5. I even named the track and the detail...if anyone has these two dac/amps feel free to do the comparison. I fully stand by my comment.

I literally A>B them over and over and the song is so familiar to me having listened to it thousands of times.
Double blind and volume matched? If not, then you've introduced enough bias that your anecdotal report is fairly pointless.

LittleEgg

Double blind and volume matched? If not, then you've introduced enough bias that your anecdotal report is fairly pointless.
I listen loud but not technically volume matched. But its not required because the musical passage i'm talking about is barely audiable on the topping and is so obviously clear and detailed on the K9. Its clear as day...i invite anyone with the means to test the same track on the same two devices and come to a different conclusion. It was also consistent across headphones(hd650, hd600, k702, sundara, etc). Put it this way i could listen at a lower volume on the K9 and hear the effect clearer than on the topping at a louder volume...it's that obvious.

I could point out other much smaller differences(voices in the crowd on the same track etc) but this one was so major and clear it's enough by itself.

Last edited:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I listen loud but not technically volume matched. But its not required because the musical passage i'm talking about is barely audiable on the topping and is so obviously clear and detailed on the K9. Its clear as day...i invite anyone with the means to test the same track on the same two devices and come to a different conclusion. It was also consistent across headphones(hd650, hd600, k702, sundara, etc).

I could point out other smaller differences(voices in the crowd on the same track etc) but this one was so major and clear it's enough alone imo.
So the level is higher K9. It explains what you heard.

Lupin

I listen loud but not technically volume matched. But its not required because the musical passage i'm talking about is barely audiable on the topping and is so obviously clear and detailed on the K9. Its clear as day...i invite anyone with the means to test the same track on the same two devices and come to a different conclusion. It was also consistent across headphones(hd650, hd600, k702, sundara, etc). Put it this way i could listen at a lower volume on the K9 and hear the effect clearer than on the topping at a louder volume...it's that obvious.

I could point out other much smaller differences(voices in the crowd on the same track etc) but this one was so major and clear it's enough by itself.
And with that reasoning all your observations are pointless and worthless.
This is ASR, we're not interested what you think and/or believe to hear with obvious sighted bias and purchase confirmation.
You might want to gospel your believes in places like Head-Fi, I'm certain you'll be carried on hands there.

Lupin

The objectively best performing devices all use single DAC chip design, use a "simple" switching power supply and don't have THX amp topology.

Dual DAC and linear power supply are nice buzz words to put on a product page.. marketing.
There are many devices that don't have these things and still perform objectively better than the FiiO... for much less money.

So yes as I said in my other post FiiO is banking hard on audiophile myths and snake oil to justify the overpriced K9 pro.

In a vacuum the K9 pro is not bad.
But the reality is that there are (many) devices that perform better and cost way less.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nope. I didn't say that. What i said was the difference in the musical passage was clear even if the DX5 was set clearly louder than the K9.
But you are saying the level is higher. Unless the devices are level matched and you do a double blind test your opinion is flawed and discounted as subjective.

LittleEgg

But you are saying the level is higher. Unless the devices are level matched and you do a double blind test your opinion is flawed and discounted as subjective.
Again, I literally didn't say that. I said its very noticeable at what i consider similar volume, BUT even if i run the K9 at a much lower volume than the topping, the difference in the segment stands out like a sore thumb. Its so obvious you'd have to have either seriously bad ears, or be utterly brainwashed not to hear the difference. Anyway unless someone can match the kit like i did and listen to the track in question then you can't say i thing. I've A>B and even clearly hear the difference when the topping has the advantage of a louder volume.

As said previously, if anyone wishes to actually A>B as i've done then feel free! The funny thing is i came only to warn people about the overheating issue, and got jumped on for pointing out a sonic difference which exists without question. LOL.

LittleEgg

Ahh yes "without question". I guess we better stop questioning you, then!
I have owned both units at the same time...pointed out the exact difference at the exact moment it happens. Happy to have someone else A>B and come up with a different conclusion...highly doubt it will happen mind.

I even pointed out multiple times that the topping is less detailed in that moment even when its set at a CLEARLY high volume than the K9...but alas that seems to "fall on deaf ears" with the responses so far. Excuse the pun!

I made my point but nothing beats confirmation bias it would seem. It does work both ways.

aSDASDASDASDASD

Hey my K9 Pro ESS arrived in Thailand today but it doesn't turn on. I'm using correct voltage.

Simply no lights. Is this a common problem? Anything I can do to troubleshoot besides waste hundreds more on import costs by returning it?

Already tried holding "input" for 10 secconds.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
at what i consider similar volume
But that is the problem. You didn't level test it so the K9 is at a higher level. There really can't be any difference between the 2 devices went set up correctly for a test. There is a very long thread here for you.

LittleEgg

But that is the problem. You didn't level test it so the K9 is at a higher level. There really can't be any difference between the 2 devices went set up correctly for a test. There is a very long thread here for you.
You are willfully ignoring the part where i have said multiple times the difference was crystal clear even when the topping was VERY much louder. You just dont want to hear it.

LittleEgg

Hey my K9 Pro ESS arrived in Thailand today but it doesn't turn on. I'm using correct voltage.

Simply no lights. Is this a common problem? Anything I can do to troubleshoot besides waste hundreds more on import costs by returning it?

Already tried holding "input" for 10 secconds.
The fault indicator on the K9 is either a solid or flashing red ring around the voume wheel. Try a different kettle plug perhaps if the fuse is DOA?

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You are willfully ignoring the part where i have said multiple times the difference was crystal clear even when the topping was VERY much louder. You just dont want to hear it.
I've heard you, but science is not on your side so I discount your claim.

LittleEgg

I've heard you, but science is not on your side so I discount your claim.
If one device is clearly and obviously set louder and still cannot deliver the detail in a segment that the quieter device is delivering...then what do you call that?

I call your own argument willful ignorance so far based off you ignoring my repeated statements that don't suit your own confirmation bias.

Elitzur–Vaidman

If one device is clearly and obviously set louder and still cannot deliver the detail in a segment that the quieter device is delivering...then what do you call that?

I call your own argument willful ignorance so far based off you ignoring my repeated statements that don't suit your own confirmation bias.
Scientific rigor isn't confirmation bias.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

You can stamp your feet and yell from the top of the tallest building "I CAN HEAR A DIFFERENCE". I simply don't believe you can.

Top Bottom