• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Alien (1979) returning to select theaters this October

Hugo9000

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The greatest horror movie and the greatest sci-fi movie of all time is returning to the big screen for all-too-few showings.

https://www.slashfilm.com/alien-returning-to-theaters/

Fathom Events, Turner Classic Movies, and Twentieth Century Fox are bringing the classic back to theaters on Sunday, October 13, 2019 – 1:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m.; Tuesday, October 15, 2019 – 7:00 p.m.; and Wednesday, October 16, 2019 – 7:00 p.m. Tickets can be picked up here. The screenings will be accompanied by special commentary before and after the film from TCM Primetime Host Ben Mankiewicz.

Alien-intro_3064438b.jpg

It's also the greatest suspense/thriller of all time, and I wouldn't really argue with anyone who said it was the greatest film period (even though they'd be wrong there, as Vertigo is the greatest overall haha!).

Last edited:

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd love to see a lot more classic movies in theatres. One of the things that annoys me is we have two large multiplex cinemas in my town and at times half of the screens are given over to the same blockbuster of the moment which will be forgotten as soon as people leave the theatre yet seeing something worth watching at these places is painfully difficult.

OP
Hugo9000

Hugo9000

I've only seen a few of the old classics in a theater. In 1989, I saw Gone with the Wind during its 50th anniversary re-release, then in 1995 I saw Doctor Zhivago on its 30th anniversary re-release. In 1996, I was lucky enough to see Vertigo at San Francisco's Castro Theater (site of its premiere back in 1958). My regret there is that I didn't pay extra to go on the previous night, when Kim Novak made a personal appearance to introduce the restored film.

Sadly, whenever I mention any of the classic movies or directors or stars from before 1980 or so, I just get blank stares from anyone much under 40. It's hard for me to believe that so few people know who Alfred Hitchcock was, as he was still legendary in my youth. I'm 50, by the way.

ripvw

Forum Donor
I remember seeing this at midnight in Atlanta with my friend Don the night before the big opening - we had great seats. Once the movie got going and it became obvious that the little creature that popped out of John Hurt's chest (way cool) was going to get a lot bigger and nastier, Don could no longer look at the screen. He spent the rest of the movie with his head down whispering to me "what's happening now?". The suspense was amazing but it my case I was torn between the tension of what I was seeing on screen and the ridiculousness of whispering back and forth to an adult male who was simply too terrified to watch the movie anymore.

most bizarre situation I've ever experienced at any movie...

digicidal

Major Contributor
I have such a problem actually going to a movie theater any more. I'm such a creature of comfort - I can give up quite a bit in image size and bass impact to be able to pause for bathroom breaks or food/beverage refills - and always have the best seats in the house. Would be cool to see though and I agree on the analysis. One of the first Bluray boxsets I purchased (along with Bond and StarTrek anthologies) - despite owning all the DVDs already. Had it come here I might have made an exception for this.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I too am reluctant to go to movie theater these days. Our nearests theater actually has exceptionally nice seating with recliner and such. Still, as you say, having to be there at certain time, no bathroom break, etc. it is all a pain.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Pretty good theater 15 minutes from me (was 5 minutes prior to moving). There just is little worth seeing too often. Combined with now having space for my own large projector screen, and I prefer watching at home.

Now I did see a movie at the local theater a few years back by myself. Last night it was showing, and only night I didn't have to work. Wanted to see it in 3d. Purchased a ticket, and found I was the only person there. I'm sure they hated showing it for one ticket. If only they'd given me a remote to pause it a couple times. I normally like going with a few friends if there is something we all are wanting to see.

Alien was quite the movie however.

Hitchcock on the other hand is boom or bust. Those I like I think are some of the best movies ever (Vertigo or North by Northwest or Rear Window), those I don't annoy the heck out of me (the Birds, Psycho).

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
The long versions of Apocalypse now are my nomination for the greatest movie of all time. I am a bit undecided if I like the new final cut version better than the 15 minute longer Redux version.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
The long versions of Apocalypse now are my nomination for the greatest movie of all time. I am a bit undecided if I like the new final cut version better than the 15 minute longer Redux version.
Every frame is a thing of beauty.

frogmeat69

Forum Donor
Toss up for me as to which is my favorite horror movie: Alien, The Shining, or John Carpenter's The Thing. All are fantastic, frightening, and endlessly re-watchable.
Only one I got to see in the theater was The Thing, by myself when I was 14. Somehow was let in, even with all of the reviews of it being one of the goriest movies ever made.

frogmeat69

Forum Donor
Haven't watched the Final cut yet, but not a fan of the Redux, but love the theatrical.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Let's be honest- Aliens is merely a remake of It! The Terror From Beyond Space, but with young Sigourney Weaver in tight underwear.

Fluffy

I'm sad I missed the 2001 re-release
I was lucky enough to see a 70 mm print when I was in London. It really works much better on a big screen.

Also, I recently saw Bladerunner on a big screen at a festival. It was also a pretty astounding experience. I would really like to see Lord of the Rings on the big screen again, those are movies that need the scale.

frogmeat69

Forum Donor
Shea's Performing Arts Center in Buffalo used to have Sunday morning classic movies for free, just had to stop at select places to get tickets, was able to see The Wizard of Oz on the big screen in a classic theater setting, that was pretty awesome.

1572121305290.png

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd love to see ' The Thing' in a cinema.
I saw it in large screen xinema in 1982, with my father. It was the horror - but we stayed to the end. Funny thing is - right at the begin where the Norwegians hunt the dog I somehow knew what would be coming. Not the efx for sure, they were something never seen before.

garbulky

Major Contributor
Shea's Performing Arts Center in Buffalo used to have Sunday morning classic movies for free, just had to stop at select places to get tickets, was able to see The Wizard of Oz on the big screen in a classic theater setting, that was pretty awesome.

View attachment 37037
I'm getting the 4k Wizard of Oz - coming from an 8k master

garbulky

Major Contributor
I was lucky enough to see a 70 mm print when I was in London. It really works much better on a big screen.

Also, I recently saw Bladerunner on a big screen at a festival. It was also a pretty astounding experience. I would really like to see Lord of the Rings on the big screen again, those are movies that need the scale.
I believe it. The bigger the screen, the more immersive of an experience for that kind of movie!

digicidal

Major Contributor
Let's be honest- Aliens is merely a remake of It! The Terror From Beyond Space, but with young Sigourney Weaver in tight underwear.
Exactly... so in other words - a significantly better version. :p

Top Bottom