• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Alexa, I don’t want you, but I have you

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have no need for any voice enable device or “smart” device at home. I work in the tech industry but I am also a bit paranoid. Yes, my phone has a mic, but this Echo Spot I received as a gift has a camera! First thing I did was cover it with some gaffers tape. I don’t even trust the button that turns off the mic and camera.

Anyway, it’s sitting on top of my DX7s Dac as a glorified clock. I figured maybe I will connect it to play some audio with voice control, but the DX7s has no aux analog input. The echo does not have digital output. Grrr.

I like the chrome cast audio I have which is connected to the optical input on the DAC but Amazon and Google don’t talk to each other.

Roon doesn’t have Alexa integration yet.

Any ideas on how I can make this work? My set up is in the living room with a small fan less PC running Roon core, Google CCA, Echo Spot, DX7s DAC, JBL 305P, B&W sub.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I have no need for any voice enable device or “smart” device at home. I work in the tech industry but I am also a bit paranoid. Yes, my phone has a mic, but this Echo Spot I received as a gift has a camera!
Same here. I gave it away.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

cjfrbw

"Alexa, how do I keep you from giving away all my secrets and private live videos to the NSA-FACEBOOK Industrial Complex Database? You can't remote sample DNA, can you?"

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I plan to just use the analog out to my LSR305 speakers in the woodshop. There, I definitely could use voice control. It is great to just shout at it to change tracks and such.

I forget if LSR305 has both balanced and unbalanced. If so, you can bypass the DAC and use the other input for it.

Wombat

Master Contributor
"Alexa, how do I keep you from giving away all my secrets and private live videos to the NSA-FACEBOOK Industrial Complex Database? You can't remote sample DNA, can you?"

Since the 'phone, etc, are covered in natural body oils(spittle too?) DNA analysis could be a possibility. o_O

OP
stunta

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I plan to just use the analog out to my LSR305 speakers in the woodshop. There, I definitely could use voice control. It is great to just shout at it to change tracks and such.

I forget if LSR305 has both balanced and unbalanced. If so, you can bypass the DAC and use the other input for it.

That seems like a use case unless you are doing something very private in your woodshop ;) In my case, this device is in my living room which is currently my primary music system. I doubt the Echo's DAC will be as good as that of the Topping (measurements would help) but for casual listening, voice control would be nice. The Google CCA measures well but doesn't sound as a good as the Topping to my ears (no DBT, it was quite obvious to me, but still subjective, so add salt to your taste). I don't think Amazon cares about sound quality, so I wouldn't be surprised if it sounds worse than the CCA.

Top Bottom