• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Albums not available on digital media anywhere

gags11

Forum Donor
I’m wondering if any of you guys ran into issues where your favorite album cannot be found anywhere on digital media.
Case in point is Ray Charles’ “Brother Ray is at it again,” which is one of my favorite albums of his. Every songlr song is just a masterpiece for me. But hey, you can’t find it anywhere. If you have not heard this album, you are missing out Ray Charles big time.

I was lucky to find a vinyl version. To be honest, only reason I have a turntable is to listen to this album.

PS: BTW, subjectively the vinyl sounds as good or better than digital (i.e Bob Marley or Adele) with Stanton st150 turntable and Audio-Technica AT150MLX Dual MMCartridge, nothing fancy.

Attachments

• F51D82C1-EC63-4056-81C7-9E7FB3C2CD4A.jpeg
    F51D82C1-EC63-4056-81C7-9E7FB3C2CD4A.jpeg
    306.8 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I digitized my albums that weren't available digitally. It's easy (with Audacity) if you have a desktop computer with a regular soundcard with line-in.

If you don't have line-in on your soundcard the Behringer UCA202 is an inexpensive USB audio interface with line in. It doesn't have a a recording level control which can be an issue if the signal is too hot and it clips. (If the signal is low you can boost it after recording.)

I have the ART USB Phono Plus which has a switchable phono/line input and a recording level control.

Or there are lots of higher end USB audio interfaces with switchable mic/line inputs.

Then there is software for cleaning-up the clicks & pops. There are a couple of tools built-into Audacity. Wave Corrector is a FREE automatic de-clicker. Wave Repair ($30 USD) is manual which means it's time-consuming but it only "touches" the audio where you identify a defect and then you can choose from a few different repair methods to find the one that works best. Usually (but not always) you can make an audibly perfect repair.

OP
G

gags11

Forum Donor
It would be easy for me to do that, you’re right. Stanton has a digital output that I’m actually using . I can simply record/ convert those to digital media.

I will do that. Even though it feels special listening with vinyl at home, I do want to add it to my Apple Music library and be able to listen on my phone and car.

Last edited:

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wouldn’t say not available “digitally,” but I was looking not too long ago for the Jimmy Page & Robert Plant “No Quarter” album from the mid 1990s and could not find it on Apple Music or Tidal.

Kegemusha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Luis Alberto Spinetta, MTV Unplugged, 1997. ( I think it was) I never found it digital, so I got the CD.
I think is the longest of all MTV unplugged.

Kegemusha

Doh, thought was about stream, my bad. Lol

FrankW

One of the few reasons to have a decent turntable ;-)
And of course digital capture capability

sejarzo

Forum Donor
Unsure how this got there, but it sounds reasonably clean to me for capture from an LP.

Top Bottom