• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Album of the Year

Is there interest in an ASR Album of the Year?

• Yes

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • No

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Yes - with reservations

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • I like strudel!

Votes: 18 27.7%

• Total voters

Marc v E

Major Contributor
Hmm, I was more thinking along the lines of highest quality recording of the year. Not most popular.

It's hard to have a good discussion about taste anyway. Much easier to provide the best measuring album per genre and assume with such care taken, it must have been a driven by being passionate about music.

Edit: it could also serve to make people aware about what a good recording sounds like. And how it can be measured.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Seems not very clear, that's there's no great desire for album of the year. Maybe strudel of the year?
Too many issues. For instance you could give me one of the most wonderfully perfectly done recordings in Rap, Country or Opera and I couldn't care less. I don't like any of those with rare exceptions. Even in genre's I do like, say Jazz, Blues, Classical, Folk etc. the performance matters and even that is a matter of preference. So all you are left with is most popular among those voting.

I remember when Stereophile had an annual Records to Die for list. Some good suggestions at first. Then it seemed everyone was trying to be trendy or different and finding arcane suggestions. After about three years I referred to them as Records to Die From if you had to listen to them all. It also was a variation on TAS recommended recordings. Those weren't for anything other than suggesting well done recordings their reviewers felt gave one a good reference to judge system performance. It made some more sense to me. As rather than having new additions to the list each year, they were a list that evolved over time sometimes removing something to replace with another. Even then listings of opera on that list I just couldn't care less, as I don't like opera.

If we are going to do popular, it will be Taylor Swift, or Adele or whomever such released in the most recent year. Well maybe not among regulars at ASR, but you get the drift I hope. Wasn't a bad idea on your part, I just think music is too varied to make it worthwhile.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Rock-n-Roll messenger here: I think it is tonight for the Class of 2022 Hall-of-Fame.
I've heard the following ...
"You can watch the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame ceremony later this month. It airs on HBO and streams on HBO Max on Nov. 19. at 5 p.m. PST." Link
But I haven't confirmed when it will be aired exactly -- I forage for our musical food and then assign my mate to serve it to us!;)

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Rock-n-Roll messenger here: I think it is tonight for the Class of 2022 Hall-of-Fame.
I've heard the following ...

But I haven't confirmed when it will be aired exactly -- I forage for our musical food and then assign my mate to serve it to us!;)
Good example of awards gone wrong. Way too many non Rock inductees and way too many worthy Rock musicians snubbed.

gsp1971

Forum Donor
Some time ago I suggested a similar concept - best recording of the year (one album for each year) from 1950 to present day, with the aim to create a music library of 50-60 albums of superior recording quality. So if the proposition is to do something similar here, I'll be happy to contribute in anyway I can. But it has to be best recording of the year based on recording quality, not popularity or sales, otherwise we'll end up recommending over-compressed pop.
gsp

Marc v E

Major Contributor
Some time ago I suggested a similar concept - best recording of the year (one album for each year) from 1950 to present day, with the aim to create a music library of 50-60 albums of superior recording quality. So if the proposition is to do something similar here, I'll be happy to contribute in anyway I can. But it has to be best recording of the year based on recording quality, not popularity or sales, otherwise we'll end up recommending over-compressed pop.
gsp
Cx

OP
Presently42

Presently42

Some time ago I suggested a similar concept - best recording of the year (one album for each year) from 1950 to present day, with the aim to create a music library of 50-60 albums of superior recording quality.
Not what I'd had in mind - but not a bad idea! Indeed, I didn't have much in mind - other than celebrating a new album from the current year, and awarding it the completely arbitrary title of Best. I thought of including best album of various genres, but wanted to not influence discussion with my own thoughts.

In any event, perhaps something more along the lines of ASR's Notable Albums is more appropriate. This might include an album of high quality, or of high beauty, or perhaps one of exceptionality in a certain domain.

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the "asr album of the year" idea is great but who will do all the necessary work?!

My idea would be to have a year-long thread where members post recommendations and then the most upvoted ones can be in a end-of-year poll for the final decision. That requires quite a bit of curating work though. And the initiative also needs support from the admins: e.g. promote those threads/polls to first page, remind people periodically to check them etc...

P.S.
many members are not much into contemporary music, things like "500 best albums of all time" might be more interesting. Or best per genre or best recording quality or... even more editorial work :)

Marc v E

Major Contributor
@Presently42 @gsp1971 how about just agreeing on a method and then starting a thread? For instance, I would propose to test albums by testing for Dynamic range with Audacity (a free tool). There we can also test for clipping.

Any other suggestions we can evaluate an album on? I would assume we need different methods of testing cds/digital files vs vinyl.

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It would be interesting (to me, at least) if ASR had a thread which provides "The Best Recordings" and why that recording is worth a spin... or three!

polmuaddib

Forum Donor
Why complicate? Just pick an album released this year which you think is recorded well, performed well and you enjoy the music.
So, 99% of mainstream pop doesn’t qualify.
Sorry, Taylor Swift…

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
[1]Why complicate?
[2]Just pick an album released this year which you think is recorded well, performed well and you enjoy the music.
[3]So, 99% of mainstream pop doesn’t qualify.
[4]Sorry, Taylor Swift…
[1]Who?
[2]Your 3 stated requirements sound complicated (in light of the fact that the poll will have to contend w/limited lot of votes)
[3]How many voting-capable ASR members are in this 'censored' group?
[4]What if recording of TaylorSwift is extremely audiophile worthy?

polmuaddib

Forum Donor
[1]Who?
[2]Your 3 stated requirements sound complicated (in light of the fact that the poll will have to contend w/limited lot of votes)
[3]How many voting-capable ASR members are in this 'censored' group?
[4]What if recording of TaylorSwift is extremely audiophile worthy?
1 - rhetorical question.
2 - people that visit ASR care about music and the quality of music reproduction. Those 3 requirements are the most basic for any audiophile.
3 - I meant the latest pop music. It's the same old basic chord progressions over and over with dynamic range of 1. Just listen to some of the top 10 charts and find me 3 songs that you genuinely enjoy and I will admit my mistake. And don't come back to me with: but that's not 99% or something...
4 - a joke. And I did say sorry.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just listen to some of the top 10 charts and find me 3 songs
LOL - No [expletive deleted] way!
I'd rather perform hair-Kari...:oops: thru my ears!

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anyone listened the last Harry Styles album, Harry’s House?
Should you put a "IMHO", so that we are warned in advance?
Is he disco ;) pop or worth it?

EDIT: I wagered on your link: Spotify requires sign-in!

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom