• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Album Covers with Audio Equipment

Shorty

1CB1E1E7-96C7-45D6-8009-8EB251CD5EC5.jpeg

OP
Berwhale

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
It is a radio -- in fact, it is a stereo radio that had a matching 'satellite' speaker.
I actually had one, briefly, a long time ago -- a find from the "Yankee Swap" pile at the much beloved Harvard, MA town dump transfer station.
Do you all know about the traditions and cultural importance of small-town New England "dumps"? :)

swappile1 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

I do miss the dump (since we moved to NH six years ago). My understanding is that the Harvard swap pile is no more, though :( Our little town here doesn't have one -- although our daughter's & son-in-law's town (Grantham) does. Swap pile and all (well, not this year, due to the, you know, virus thing).
I grieve for it.

Much of my hifi has come from the dump -- yes, even some of the good stuff.
:cool:

but I digress...

It is a radio -- in fact, it is a stereo radio that had a matching 'satellite' speaker.
I actually had one, briefly, a long time ago -- a find from the "Yankee Swap" pile at the much beloved Harvard, MA town dump transfer station.
Do you all know about the traditions and cultural importance of small-town New England "dumps"? :)

swappile1 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

I do miss the dump (since we moved to NH six years ago). My understanding is that the Harvard swap pile is no more, though :( Our little town here doesn't have one -- although our daughter's & son-in-law's town (Grantham) does. Swap pile and all (well, not this year, due to the, you know, virus thing).
I grieve for it.

Much of my hifi has come from the dump -- yes, even some of the good stuff.
:cool:

but I digress...

Though I’ve never lived in a town with a “dump” like that, it does remind me of an activity that was popular during my youth.

When I first moved to Lawrence, KS for college, back in the late 90’s, I knew a lot of people who would hit up the dumpsters outside of fraternities at the end of the school year to hunt for all the loot left behind by college kids that couldn’t be bothered to move stuff back home.

That was before the days of smartphones, Bluetooth, sound bars and prior to the general decline of standard hifi equipment being common in people’s homes, so you could find some real treasures that had been abandoned. Receivers and speakers were pretty common. Once, a buddy of mine wound up with a pair of Martin Logans from one trip to the dumpsters. Of course it probably helped that Lawrence is the hq of Martin Logan, so they seem to be slightly more common.

I never did the dumpster hunt myself. I imagine the prevalence of hifi equipment is greatly reduced nowadays.

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
R-395278-1325937875.jpeg.jpg
R-395278-1325937896.jpeg.jpg

Top Bottom