• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AKM 4493 Dac

Bliman

Hi all,
I am looking for the best dac that can be coupled to the Atom amp.
Is it correct to say that the AKM 4493 is the best dac? Now I know that the Topping DX3 has this dac. But I don't want to buy it because I don't trust the build quality.
Now I am looking which companies use this dac also. And with a maximum cost of 200-250€.
Can someone recommend me some or are there no good dacs with the AKM 4493 at this price?

OP
B

Bliman

Was it a stupid question? Or doesn't anyone got a suggestion?

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah AKM 4493 is a DAC chip, not a DAC. It doesn't tell much about the quality of the DAC which would use it.

OP
B

Bliman

Ok thanks for the advice. I shall be honest the reason why I would go with that chip is because it doesn't have that ESS bump.
I know you shouldn't hear it but it is a little nagging. Maybe that's the negative of having so much information,lol.
I also thought that RME uses that chip. And maybe I was a bit naive in thinking that it would make a difference.
I also saw that Topping had a great report overall. Sadly I don't trust them.

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Modi 3 uses AK4490 (slightly different) and it is pretty good. Ppl r correct saying that chip will not define the quality of DAC. Look at AudioGd - they use good chips, but produce horrible end products.

Top Bottom