• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AKG replacement cable recommendations please

DLS79

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I recently picked up a pair of AKG k702s for mixing, and a pair of K553 mkiis for casual use. After using them for a while, I have to say I'm not in love with the stock cables on either of them. The 702's 10ft cable in unwieldy but otherwise perfect fine. The 553's cable on the other hand, is just plain annoying to me and needs replaced asap. It's short and the coil gets in way far to often for my taste.

I found these that have the thread on adapter that I prefer, but I also found several negative reviews about shorts, and audible differences to the stock cables.
https://www.amazon.com/NewFantasia-Replacement-Compatible-Headphones-1-2meters/dp/B07J28FXXS

At the other end of the spectrum is stuff like this from moon audio, that is ridiculous (imo) at $295.
https://www.moon-audio.com/silver-dragon-cable-akg-headphones-v3.html

Can anyone recommend cables in the 6ft range, that don't have issues and aren't off the deep-end when it comes to price? I could learn to make cables myself if I absolutely need to, but I'd prefer to just buy them.

Zvezda

I ended up replacing the cable on my K702s with stock cables several times as the insulation hardened. I picked up the version of the NewFantasia cable you linked with a braided covering in February 2018 and it has worked admirably since then. The connectors in particular are very solidly built and I don't feel like it's going to need replacing any time soon.

Worst case, if there's QC issues, I've never had trouble getting amazon to refund or replace defective products.

Last edited:
OP
D

DLS79

Forum Donor
I ended up replacing the cable on my K702s with stock cables several times as the insulation hardened. I picked up the version of the NewFantasia cable you linked with a braided covering in February 2018 and it has worked admirably since then. The connectors in particular are very solidly built and I don't feel like it's going to need replacing any time soon.

Worst case, if there's QC issues, I've never had trouble getting amazon to refund or replace defective products.

I might have to just bite the bullet, and see how they are, everything else I saw today in the sub $100 bracket was just ugly as sin.

OP
D

DLS79

Forum Donor
The cables arrived today, So I thought I would throw together a quick and dirty review for anyone who finds this thread in the future.

I purchased 2 of the plain cables (no braided sleeving). The cable is thicker than the stock cables that came with my 702's & 553's, but it's softer, lighter, more flexible, and seems to have almost no memory. The mini XLR fits snugly, but not overly so. The 1/8" to 1/4" adapter screws together well, and doesn't feel gritty like the one that came with my 553's.

I did about an hours worth of A/B testing, and the cable seemed to have no audible effect on sound quality compared to the stock cables. If I remember I'll report back with any durability issue I might encounter.

index.php

index.php

index.php

View attachment PGH55390.jpg

View attachment PGH55396.jpg

View attachment PGH55388.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom