• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AKG K371 Warranty Question

MixLKV97

Hi, everyone!

Recently, I noticed that the audio in my headphones has started cracking in both channels when moving my head around.

I figured out that it was my cable that was causing this issue, as moving it in some ways caused the audio to crack.

Before this, I've noticed that the cable had a few cracks in it which I immediately covered with an insulating tape to prevent any damage to the wirings, and so far there were never any issues after I did that.

Now all of a sudden, my audio started cracking depending on how I moved the cable, even with the insulating tape on it.

I quickly switched out the straight cable (the one which had the problem) with a coiled one, to confirm if the problem was really in the cable or if it had to do with my headphones.

As expected, as soon as I plugged in the coiled cable, the problem was gone.

Now, however, I am stuck using the coiled cable which is kind of pulling my headphones, as its length is not long enough, so I'd prefer to get a new straight one.

Another problem that I have is that the earpads have started to degrade and fall off, so I would like to replace them as well.

Seeing how my headphones are still covered by warranty, I wanted to see if I can send them to have the straight cable, and earpads replaced.

I still have the original packaging and receipt, so I was wondering if anyone here knows if the warranty covers this type of problem?

Currently, this is how the cable looks now without the insulating tape on it:
And, this is how the pads look:
Since these are my first headphones, I wanted to ask if anyone here knows how does the warranty procedure work, since I've never done this before, so I wanted to ask if AKG's K371 warranty covers issues like these?

Joe Smith

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Best bet is to contact them and see. Fortunately, with the K371, you can replace the cable easily even if the warranty for some reason does not work out.

Not sure about the pad replacement options with these. I have had my K361s for about three years, and the pads still look brand new. Have only used inside and gently...

Yuhasz01

The headphone looks really beaten up. Have you been throwing it around? XD
I have had mine for over a year and wear every night for few hours. How the hell do you use these things? They looked really beat-up.

OP
M

MixLKV97

Best bet is to contact them and see. Fortunately, with the K371, you can replace the cable easily even if the warranty for some reason does not work out.

Not sure about the pad replacement options with these. I have had my K361s for about three years, and the pads still look brand new. Have only used inside and gently...
I'll try to contact them and see what their response will be.
The headphone looks really beaten up. Have you been throwing it around? XD
Of course not. I honestly don't know why they even degraded so fast. It's been about a year and a half since I bought them, so I don't know what caused this degradation.

I do tend to keep them in a cold room, but I'm not sure if ambient temperature alone would do this to them.

Another thing is, I always use them over my hoodie, like this, so I'm not sure if that would affect it in anyway.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
It looks like you've totally got your money's worth out of them, several times over.

Buy some new headphones with detachable mini xlr plug/leads and replace them when you next break/pull the cable.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Buy some new headphones with detachable mini xlr plug/leads and replace them when you next break/pull the cable.
The cable is detachable with a kind of mini xlr plug. The headphone comes with 2 or 3 different cables. Mine (K371bt) came with one short and one long straight cable and a coiled one.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The cable is detachable with a kind of mini xlr plug. The headphone comes with 2 or 3 different cables. Mine (K371bt) came with one short and one long straight cable and a coiled one.

Like my AKG-702s.

First thing I did was make up my own decent cable using professional cable and a proper metal 1/4" plug. The cable supplied with the Harman/Chinese AKGs is utter garbage.

IMG_1338.jpg

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeo, they are higly microphonic. I use it mostly with tablet or smart phone hence fallback to wireless BT.

OP
M

MixLKV97

It looks like you've totally got your money's worth out of them, several times over.

Not really, because as @LTig said, AKG K371 (whether the BlueTooth version or not) comes with 3 detachable cables, 1 (long) straight cable, 1 coiled cable (the one which I'm using, and as LTig said highly microphonic, and 1 (short) straight cable.

I'll give AKG a call and see if they cover cables and earpads.

By any chance that they don't cover either of them, did anyone try replacing the earpads on these headphones?

Is it hard to do?

The cable is something I can live without since I have the coiled cable, but the earpads are what worries me if I have to replace them myself.

Top Bottom