• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Akg k371 vs 371bt

buscon

hi all,

after reading different reviews on the internet, it seems like Akg k371 and k371bt should deliver similar results.

Today I checked the list of supported headphones of Sonarworks:
The k371bt is marked for "listening" purposes. I am wondering why.

Did anyone do a proper sound comparison between the two models and can tell me an opinion about it?

I am considering getting a k371. My main use for them would be sound design at home.
Bluetooth and microphone are not mandatory for me but they would be a nice addon to have for just 20€ more.
But if the sound quality is an issue on the k317bt, I would rather save some money and stay with the k371.

thanks

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The choice between the 2 should mostly depend on the usage of BT connection.

Not many prof gear will have BT on it. Most portable gear will. For that reason it is considered a 'device for listening to music' where the wired version can also be used for that.

When the wire is not an issue use the wired one. When you need or want a wireless (BT) connection choose the BT version.

There will be some small differences between them when used wired.

OP
B

buscon

Thanks for your answer. What you are writing is what I assumed too.

When I use them for sound design or mixing, I will for sure use them wired.
The BT connection and the microphone are practical for other situations and purposes.

If the sound does not change between them, I think I will get the BT version.

OP
B

buscon

I received today the two headphones (371 and 371bt). They do sound indeed different, though I have to spend more time with them to say more about it.
For now, I wanted to post the different correction measurements offered by Sonarworks SoundID Reference: based on their measurement there are differences in sound too. That would justify the label they gave to the bluetooth version (for listening).

Unfortunately, there are no AutoEQ measurements for the 371bt, so I cannot compare outside SoundID.

Maybe someone did also a comparison between the two 371?
371_SoundID.png

371bt_SoundID.png

OP
B

buscon

I could not find any frequency response graph of the K371BT anywhere on the internet, even in the AKG manual.
So I used the frequency response diagram offered by Sonarworks SoundID Reference and followed the online guide of AutoEQ to generate the results.

As a reference here is the frequency response of Sonarworks:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k1in8w8pndu5c73/371bt_SoundID_fr.png?dl=0
and here are my results:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/h9bgl6e3vq8rpn6/AAAfmSf1K4kC7t_6ut4a98G0a?dl=0

you are very welcome to try it out and let me know what you think.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I could not find any frequency response graph of the K371BT anywhere on the internet, even in the AKG manual.
So I used the frequency response diagram offered by Sonarworks SoundID Reference and followed the online guide of AutoEQ to generate the results.

As a reference here is the frequency response of Sonarworks:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k1in8w8pndu5c73/371bt_SoundID_fr.png?dl=0
and here are my results:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/h9bgl6e3vq8rpn6/AAAfmSf1K4kC7t_6ut4a98G0a?dl=0

you are very welcome to try it out and let me know what you think.h
You used the wrong target with the python script.
Sonarworks' graphs are already compensated with a flat graph representing neutral frequency response.
You can see that by looking at the frequency response and the corresponding, correcting EQ response. They're an exact mirror of each other. Alternatively just look at the target. It's a flat line.
Therefore, you have to use a flat line as target in AutoEQ, not Harman.

OP
B

buscon

You used the wrong target with the python script.
Sonarworks' graphs are already compensated with a flat graph representing neutral frequency response.
You can see that by looking at the frequency response and the corresponding, correcting EQ response. They're an exact mirror of each other. Alternatively just look at the target. It's a flat line.
Therefore, you have to use a flat line as target in AutoEQ, not Harman.
Thanks for telling me that!
These are the options I used:
python autoeq.py --input_dir=mydata/K371bt/ --output_dir=my_results/K371bt --compensation="compensation/harman_over-ear_2018_wo_bass.png" --equalize --parametric_eq --max_filters=5+5 --ten_band_eq --convolution_eq --bass_boost=6 --standardize_input --fs=48000

I guess I should use the zero.csv compensation file?

I re-run the process with these settings and I think now it makes more sense:
python autoeq.py --input_dir=mydata/K371bt/ --output_dir=my_results/K371bt --compensation=compensation/zero.csv --equalize --parametric_eq --max_filters=5+5 --ten_band_eq --convolution_eq --bass_boost=0 --standardize_input --fs=48000

One thing looks weird now: that big spike around 18Khz....

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Thanks for telling me that!
These are the options I used:
python autoeq.py --input_dir=mydata/K371bt/ --output_dir=my_results/K371bt --compensation="compensation/harman_over-ear_2018_wo_bass.png" --equalize --parametric_eq --max_filters=5+5 --ten_band_eq --convolution_eq --bass_boost=6 --standardize_input --fs=48000

I guess I should use the zero.csv compensation file?
Yes. Use zero.csv as target and remove the --bass_boost attribute. I would also set --max_filters=10.

OP
B

buscon

Yes. Use zero.csv as target and remove the --bass_boost attribute. I would also set --max_filters=10.
done:
python autoeq.py --input_dir=mydata/K371bt/ --output_dir=my_results/K371bt --compensation=compensation/zero.csv --equalize --parametric_eq --max_filters=10 --ten_band_eq --convolution_eq --standardize_input --fs=48000
you find the results here:
The weird spike around 18Khz was my mistake, now it is corrected.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I received today the two headphones (371 and 371bt). They do sound indeed different, though I have to spend more time with them to say more about it.
For now, I wanted to post the different correction measurements offered by Sonarworks SoundID Reference: based on their measurement there are differences in sound too. That would justify the label they gave to the bluetooth version (for listening).

Unfortunately, there are no AutoEQ measurements for the 371bt, so I cannot compare outside SoundID.

Maybe someone did also a comparison between the two 371?
View attachment 182785
View attachment 182786
So am I reading this right? The BT between 50 hz and nearly 2khz is actually more accurate. And above 4 khz is also more accurate?
I'm not bothered by that then.

OP
B

buscon

So am I reading this right? The BT between 50 hz and nearly 2khz is actually more accurate. And above 4 khz is also more accurate?
I'm not bothered by that then.
yes, it seems like, at least based on the diagrams of Sonarworks that I assume to be accurate.
If this is true, the BT version should be even better for mixing and sound production...

For sure they do sound different, if I use the SoundID Reference correction for the k371 or k371 it makes a difference.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
yes, it seems like, at least based on the diagrams of Sonarworks that I assume to be accurate.
If this is true, the BT version should be even better for mixing and sound production...

For sure they do sound different, if I use the SoundID Reference correction for the k371 or k371 it makes a difference.
Well that is good news. I've used Sonarworks in the past, need to break it out again. I do know I've been very satisfied with the BT version. My only complaint is the thinner space for the ear pads. I wonder if I switch to angled pads or thicker pads if I hurt the sound quality now.

OP
B

buscon

Well that is good news. I've used Sonarworks in the past, need to break it out again. I do know I've been very satisfied with the BT version. My only complaint is the thinner space for the ear pads. I wonder if I switch to angled pads or thicker pads if I hurt the sound quality now.
ok, good to hear that. In my case the ear pads are no problem.
I received both headphones yesterday and I am testing them now. My main concern is sound quality, if the BT version is as good as the non-BT version, I would like to keep it.

if you want, you can try out the AutoEQ setting I generated and tell me what you think, theoretically, it should fit better than the non-BT version, even though it was not an actual measurement:

brian_h_kim

doesn't look like Sonarworks uses the Harman target as its target - compare Amir's K371 compensated graph

if Sonarworks did not use a similar GRAS measurement system, then that further compounds the problem

try AutoEQ'ing with Sonarworks K371 measurements and see how that compares

OP
B

buscon

O
doesn't look like Sonarworks uses the Harman target as its target - compare Amir's K371 compensated graph

if Sonarworks did not use a similar GRAS measurement system, then that further compounds the problem

try AutoEQ'ing with Sonarworks K371 measurements and see how that compares
OK, thanks for pointing that out.
To me my results sound satisfying, though I need more time to get to know these headphones.

Any feedback is appreciated.

D

Deleted member 23424

20220208_113814.jpg

Just as an FYI for anyone considering these headphones, or anyone who owns them, I think I've identified the weak point.

Last edited by a moderator:

Roland68

Major Contributor
View attachment 185266

Just as an FYI for anyone considering these headphones, or anyone who owns them, I think I've identified the weak point.
This seems to be a fundamental problem with the K371, since defective K371s with this broken headband turn up on Ebay every week.
However, I have only seen the BT version so far.

Axel Endriss

View attachment 185266

considering the many reports from users where exactly the same thing happened, you are probably right. I considered buying these headphones, but didn't for that very reason. Maybe that's why the K371 currently is not available (hopefully).

SiW

O

OK, thanks for pointing that out.
To me my results sound satisfying, though I need more time to get to know these headphones.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Know it’s been a while, but any feedback on the difference in sound between the wired and BT versions? Did the BT when using the wire sound the same as the wired version?

Top Bottom