• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AKG K371 Review (closed back headphone)

FTB

How good the autoEQ parameters from Crinacle sounds good with the AKG K371 :)
To me better than ones from Oratory... I feel bass cleaner and deeper with Crinacle's.
And the 3k-5k dip correction still provides much more presence and voice clarity :)

I can't go without EQ now.

Feelas

But, this is what I paid for: nothing to complain about. To me, that's what high fidelity is about, not amazing.
Amir strikes again with a good recommendation. I chase high value without annoying sound.
The question stays: is the music amazing?

Jim Shaw

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The question stays: is the music amazing?
Amazing as in the tween jargon? Everything is amazing there. "Your Insta selfie was amazing..."
In normal English parlance?

1660475857423.png

I've never heard a sound playback system that's amazing, except maybe the ancient Victrola in my collection.
It is amazing that it works at all, after ~110 years.

Whatever happened to tween-talk favorite word "awkward"?
:)

Feelas

Amazing as in the tween jargon? Everything is amazing there. "Your Insta selfie was amazing..."

View attachment 224130
I've never heard a sound playback system that's amazing, except maybe the ancient Victrola in my collection.

Whichever slang fits you.

OTOH, it's awkwardly non-amazing that most modern gear won't be working ~110 years from now on.

You need to stop me!

Jim Shaw

Forum Donor

Garlucky

View attachment 224130

What I would describe as pretty good, decent, or not bad, some people would describe as amazing.
If a magician pulls a rabbit out of his hat, l might say that was decent, not bad or maybe pretty good; but if a magician pulls a full grown donkey out of his hat, that's amazing.

Robert C

These arrived today. First impressions are good. Listening to today's Classical New Releases playlist on Spotify, the sound seems 'right'. Nothing seems boosted, lacking, or offensive. Left/right spread is good for a closed-back headphone.

I was expecting to be disappointed with the build quality, but these seem perfectly robust for the price. They certainly feel more solid than I was expecting based on the reviews. Likewise, the fit. I tend to have problems getting headphones to seal properly but these went on fine first try. Clamping force is apparent. Though not unpleasant or painful, I'm starting to get a bit of a headache after ~90mins, but I'm hoping they'll loosen up slightly.

Looking forward to seeing how these fare out and about.

Last edited:

Jim Shaw

Forum Donor
My experience, too. To me, these K371s only lack snob appeal. Everybody knows they cost less than $200, and to someone who just shelled out $1200, that's sacrilege. (I bought mine from Sweetwater, where they're currently on sale for $109!)

Sacrilege!

If I had gotten a second mortgage and bought a pair of Dan Clarks, I'd be pretty snooty, too. Or worse, if I had spent $thousands on 5 kinds of headphones and was still undecided and unsatisfied. Instead, I listen to my $109 K371s and smile, knowing I got an incredible value.

I trust Amir's tests. These AKGs represent a huge value, and no, they aren't perfect. Nothing ever is. But:
"Perfect is the enemy of good enough." -Voltaire

I also don't own a Steinway or even a Kawai. I don't drive an S Class, nor walk in Guccis. And, unless someone gives me one, I don't play music on a McIntosh.

asrUser

I'm starting to get a bit of a headache after ~90mins, but I'm hoping they'll loosen up slightly.
I never understand why people torture themselves. It's not like there are aren't lots of other headphones in that price range.

Jim Shaw

Forum Donor
I never understand why people torture themselves. It's not like there are aren't lots of other headphones in that price range.
"One man's feast is another's famine."
I have been wearing mine in lieu of using the desktop monitors, lately. I forget I have them on.
"I'd never buy these because the cord is too short, so when I walk away, they yank my head around."
[They come with a longer cord. :)]

how is the sound isolation on this hp? i play a edrum kit that make too sound when i hit the drumstick on the pad.. so i need a good sound isolation
compared to 770 or 700 pro x how is this akg?

fragzone

Just got these in. I started on studio headphones (shure srh 840/440) and have since moved onto the 6xx/Sundara. One thing I always missed was the isolation of closed backs, often giving the feeling of being in my own little world.

First Impressions
-No fit or seal issues on my relatively small head. The build of the HP is solid and belies the jankyness of their general appearance.
-Pads are very nice and deep.
-Isolation is very good, better than the 770 in my experience, which always felt too big and lose to inspire confidence in that regard @djsolidsnake86
-Onto the sound. Not using EQ yet and not sure I will. Sound is very pleasing and sounds 'right'. Currently listening to Norah Jones and tonality is spot on. An actual sense of staging is apparent with credible imaging, if not somewhat diffuse. They have not been on my head for more than 30 minutes so 'brain burn-in' has yet to take effect, however vocals right now appear in timbre accurate albeit a little 'gruff' and unforgiving, but even as I type this it sounds better and better. Sub-bass is a nice change to have without lifting a finger. Reminds me of the moondrop starfield in that regard, and less bloomy than the dt770 although to be fair I am so negatively biased against that headphone take that with a grain of salt.
-Price: $180 AUD from AKG on amazon Australia. Absolute steal.
-Guess I learned what a microphonic cable means today. Not a huge deal when music is playing, but oh boy I hope there is a cable that rectifies that.

Jim Shaw

Forum Donor
Just got these in. I started on studio headphones (shure srh 840/440) and have since moved onto the 6xx/Sundara. One thing I always missed was the isolation of closed backs, often giving the feeling of being in my own little world.

First Impressions
-No fit or seal issues on my relatively small head. The build of the HP is solid and belies the jankyness of their general appearance.
-Isolation is very good, better than the 770 in my experience, which always felt too big and lose to inspire confidence in that regard @djsolidsnake86
-Onto the sound. Not using EQ yet and not sure I will. Sound is very pleasing and sounds 'right'. Currently listening to Norah Jones and tonality is spot on. An actual sense of staging is apparent with credible imaging, if not somewhat diffuse. They have not been on my head for more than 30 minutes so 'brain burn-in' has yet to take effect, however vocals right now appear in timbre accurate albeit a little 'gruff' and unforgiving, but even as I type this it sounds better and better. Sub-bass is a nice change to have without lifting a finger. Reminds me of the moondrop starfield in that regard, and less bloomy than the dt770 although to be fair I am so negatively biased against that headphone take that with a grain of salt.
-Guess I learned what a microphonic cable means today. Not a huge deal when music is playing, but oh boy I hope there is a cable that rectifies that.
Microphonics? First, suspect the connectors. Also, mine came with 3 cables: a short, straight one, a coiled long one, and a long straight one. No microphonics that I can detect. US$109 from Sweetwater in the USA, shipped free. (They are on sale by AKG)

I've been using mine for several weeks now. I often forget they're on my head. The sound takes no getting used to. They're good out of the box for me.
What a treat to find what seems an authentic value.

First Impressions
bought on amazon, i will try soon :D

fragzone

Microphonics? First, suspect the connectors. Also, mine came with 3 cables: a short, straight one, a coiled long one, and a long straight one. No microphonics that I can detect. US$109 from Sweetwater in the USA, shipped free. (They are on sale by AKG)

I've been using mine for several weeks now. I often forget they're on my head. The sound takes no getting used to. They're good out of the box for me.
What a treat to find what seems an authentic value.
So if you rub the cable below the left earcup that doesn't translate every movement to a grating rubbing sound? I wonder if this is perhaps an isolated issue.

Jim Shaw

Forum Donor
So if you rub the cable below the left earcup that doesn't translate every movement to a grating rubbing sound? I wonder if this is perhaps an isolated issue.
The cable rubbing does come through to my left ear, but mine isn't electrically 'microphonic.' It just seems to transfer the mechanical noise to my ear (rather loudly). About the same as tapping or rubbing on the hard plastic shell on either side comes through. Frankly, I hadn't noticed it before, and I don't notice it unless I'm rubbing the cable. Wagging my head or nodding doesn't cause it.

I think it's entirely a mechanical transference on my set.

Joaquin Dinero

Forum Donor
how is the sound isolation on this hp? i play a edrum kit that make too sound when i hit the drumstick on the pad.. so i need a good sound isolation
compared to 770 or 700 pro x how is this akg?
I think you'll find the DT770 better in that regard.

I used to use my 371s at work a lot. The guy who sits next to me at work is on phone calls a lot. I could hear him clearly. I can tell whether he's speaking English for work; or arguing with his wife in Arabic. (I dont speak Arabic but there aint no way those are friendly calls :)

fragzone

The cable rubbing does come through to my left ear, but mine isn't electrically 'microphonic.' It just seems to transfer the mechanical noise to my ear (rather loudly). About the same as tapping or rubbing on the hard plastic shell on either side comes through. Frankly, I hadn't noticed it before, and I don't notice it unless I'm rubbing the cable. Wagging my head or nodding doesn't cause it.

I think it's entirely a mechanical transference on my set.
Thanks for answering. Yeah that is the experience I get. Microphonics probably is the wrong word to use. Regardless, doesn't bother me in normal use unless I am wearing a stiff collar.

In other news, I have been going back and forward between my headphones and the k371 and I am constantly blown away how good these are.

Top Bottom