• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AKG K371 Review (closed back headphone)

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm so stupid that I bought the non BT version as a replacement. Didn't really think that through, did I.

The issues with the 371 variants along with today's 702 test results have seen me scrubbing various AKG models off of my list. Shame.
(K701 test results, not K702....but similar).

oratory1990

Reviewer
AKG K371BT USERS

My unit arrived, snapped. It's going in the bin pending refund completion.

Given the very apparent fragile nature of this model... if anyone wants a free set of cables (not compatible with the non BT version) and a broken pair for spares send me a message.

I contacted HK regarding repairing them and was told that they no longer carry spares for this model, so this might be useful to someone.

If not, bin.

UK based
Can you elaborate on what part is broken? It might still be useful to me if I can do measurements with it.

D

Deleted member 23424

Can you elaborate on what part is broken? It might still be useful to me if I can do measurements with it.
20220208_113814.jpg

20220208_123433.jpg

If you do any of that new fangled stereo measuring you're out of luck. They arrived snapped like that, so one channel only. Only suitable for spares really I guess.

The box they were in was entirely undamaged, as was the outer wrapping, so the guy clearly tried to punt me his broken headphones, there's no way metal snaps like that without applied force. Perhaps Uri Geller delivered them.

yossarian

After a long search I have finally found a nice connector that can be used to build a relatively comfortable cable for these headphones. Producer's website.

I got the version with standard cable opening, which turned out to be somewhat limiting in the cable choice. In the end I used an old cable from Bose QC25 that I had lying around. This is a great improvement, especially given the socket location on these headphones.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As reported before, mine have had a failure of one of the drivers, apparently. I have attempted to process a warranty action, but after getting a couple of emails about how my issue is going to be addressed (by the “pro division”), i never received the promised follow up email. Now, I have to call them on the phone and chase it down, I suppose.

Rick “not used very much to already have a failure” Denney

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As reported before, mine have had a failure of one of the drivers, apparently. I have attempted to process a warranty action, but after getting a couple of emails about how my issue is going to be addressed (by the “pro division”), i never received the promised follow up email. Now, I have to call them on the phone and chase it down, I suppose.

AKG not doing very well with their QC, same problems with K702 (K701, etc) with solder failing and therefore drivers failing, not to mention some poor channel matching in the K702 & K701 line. Their phones have potential, but they're letting themselves down with sloppy manufacturing tolerances in the factory, they're just throwing them together.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
AKG K371BT USERS

My unit arrived, snapped. It's going in the bin pending refund completion.
Oops, sorry to hear this.
Given the very apparent fragile nature of this model... if anyone wants a free set of cables (not compatible with the non BT version) and a broken pair for spares send me a message.
If no one applies in need of parts I'd take it in case my K371bt breaks down in the future. Thanks for the offer.

Based in Germany.

oratory1990

Reviewer
View attachment 186921

View attachment 186922
If you do any of that new fangled stereo measuring you're out of luck. They arrived snapped like that, so one channel only. Only suitable for spares really I guess.

The box they were in was entirely undamaged, as was the outer wrapping, so the guy clearly tried to punt me his broken headphones, there's no way metal snaps like that without applied force. Perhaps Uri Geller delivered them.
That looks messed up.

But if it's functioning electronically, I can use a different caliper to put it on the dummy head (I measure using a Kemar, similar to Amir's setup but the full head).
I do have the normal K371, so I can set it up to produce the same caliper force.
Meaning it'll be a bit of effort but I think I could get decent measurements out of that.

When I'm done with the measurement I could then send it to @LTig for spares. How does that sound?
I'm based in Austria btw.

D

Deleted member 23424

That looks messed up.

But if it's functioning electronically, I can use a different caliper to put it on the dummy head (I measure using a Kemar, similar to Amir's setup but the full head).
I do have the normal K371, so I can set it up to produce the same caliper force.
Meaning it'll be a bit of effort but I think I could get decent measurements out of that.

When I'm done with the measurement I could then send it to @LTig for spares. How does that sound?
If a one channel headphone is any use to you then it's all yours. I'd rather that than unnecessarily adding to the pile of disused plastic.

DM me to arrange collection etc

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That looks messed up.

Sounds good to me. However if you have storage for it you could as well keep it until someone really is in need of spares. If that's a hassle send it to me (PM for details) and I keep it, either for me or the first one in need of spare parts. (I just hate it to throw stuff in the bin which might still be usable).

Oscarilbo

Hi guys. I'm debating myself between these K371 and the K553Pro from AKG. I want a closed back for night listenings in my bedroom. Stack is a modi 3+ and a Heresy amp. Looking for detail retrieval above all, naturality (within a closed back limitations, of course) and imaging. Any other closed back you could recommend in the $200-ish range? (I listen orchestral/instrumental music almos exclusively)

thank you so much in advance.

Last edited:

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi guys. I'm debating myself between these K371 and the K553Pro from AKG. I want a closed back for night listenings in my bedroom. Stack is a modi 3+ and a Heresy amp. Looking for detail retrieval above all, naturality (within a closed back limitations, of course) and imaging. Any other closed back you could recommend in the $200-ish range? (I listen orchestral/instrumental music almos exclusively)

thank you so much in advance.
I have owned the K553pro and heard the K371. Between the 2, comfort is better on the K371, but it does not seal well for me (spectacles/glasses bearer) and is plagued with QC issues. That said, the pads on the K553pro are guaranteed to start flaking in approximately 2-2.5 years, and are costly to replace (if they still have it in 2.5 years lol). As for sound, the K553pro reminds me of a lesser, closed back HD800 (original) and the K371 didn't sound good to me because of its trouble sealing for glasses bearers.

Right now I'm still on the hunt for an ideal closed back headphone that does not cost $XXXX. Have been impressed and using budget single dd IEMs recently as in terms of sound to me, they are on par with headphones costing at least 3x as much after only light tweaking

PS: *Wasn't clear on how the K553pro suffers in comfort. First, its size, weight and design makes you uncomfortable wearing them out XD Secondly, the padding on the top of the inner headband is quite thin and people with narrower faces/heads might find it to be a hotspot after mere minutes. Finally, the huge pads seal well but trap tonnes of heat, making it a steamy and uncomfortable, disgusting affair to use without air conditioning on in hotter countries/months

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have owned the K553pro and heard the K371. Between the 2, comfort is better on the K371, but it does not seal well for me (spectacles/glasses bearer) and is plagued with QC issues. That said, the pads on the K553pro are guaranteed to start flaking in approximately 2-2.5 years, and are costly to replace (if they still have it in 2.5 years lol). As for sound, the K553pro reminds me of a lesser, closed back HD800 (original) and the K371 didn't sound good to me because of its trouble sealing for glasses bearers.

Right now I'm still on the hunt for an ideal closed back headphone that does not cost $XXXX. Have been impressed and using budget single dd IEMs recently as in terms of sound to me, they are on par with headphones costing at least 3x as much after only light tweaking

PS: *Wasn't clear on how the K553pro suffers in comfort. First, its size, weight and design makes you uncomfortable wearing them out XD Secondly, the padding on the top of the inner headband is quite thin and people with narrower faces/heads might find it to be a hotspot after mere minutes. Finally, the huge pads seal well but trap tonnes of heat, making it a steamy and uncomfortable, disgusting affair to use without air conditioning on in hotter countries/months
How about the Drop Dan Clarke Aeon Closed X? People seem to like it here on ASR, here's an owners thread on this headphone and there's EQ's in there and various discussions:

Oratory has also measured it in his latest update:

The frequency response looks favourable and open to EQ. $479 for this headphone.

(Regarding using EQ on this Aeon Closed X headphone, the general consensus so far seems to be to use Sample#2 EQ or Oratory EQ).

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
For clarity, did we ever come to a unanimous and definitive conclusion as to whether the Bluetooth version sounded the same as these?
I dont believe the same measurabator (sp?) has yet had both to determine how close they sit within standard measurement error and unit to unit variation allowances

phoenixsong

How about the Drop Dan Clarke Aeon Closed X? People seem to like it here on ASR, here's an owners thread on this headphone and there's EQ's in there and various discussions:

Oratory has also measured it in his latest update:

The frequency response looks favourable and open to EQ. $479 for this headphone.

(Regarding using EQ on this Aeon Closed X headphone, the general consensus so far seems to be to use Sample#2 EQ or Oratory EQ).
Only problem is, for something that costs nearly $500USD I'd prefer to hear it first before committing :p My experience with the K371 has made me wary of making blind headphone purchases based off measurements alone. Furthermore, I'm somewhat hard to please, having been dissatisfied (cost/performance ratio-wise) with nearly all headphones I've tried, including the Clear, HD560S, Sundara and many others. I suspect my hearing differs slightly from the mainstream reference standards

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Followup: Just talked with Harman Pro on the telephone, to whom my repair request had been routed. I emailed him my receipt and he approved a warranty replacement on the spot and provided an RMA. They are sending me a shipping label. There was apparently an email sent to me back when I wrote the above--their systems showed it but I never received it.

Rick "pleased to talk to a real person who had the authority to be responsive" Denney

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Only problem is, for something that costs nearly $500USD I'd prefer to hear it first before committing :p My experience with the K371 has made me wary of making blind headphone purchases based off measurements alone. Furthermore, I'm somewhat hard to please, having been dissatisfied (cost/performance ratio-wise) with nearly all headphones I've tried, including the Clear, HD560S, Sundara and many others. I suspect my hearing differs slightly from the mainstream reference standards
Ah, do you know for sure that you're a Harman Curve hater then, even after changing the bass level with a 105Hz Low Shelf?

Or is it also that you can't find a headphone to seal on your head properly, which would affect bass performance for sure (and maybe other aspects) - in which case you wanna try to prioritise some large soft pad headphones that mould well around your glasses/face, a bit like the HE4XX I mentioned for example.

phoenixsong

Ah, do you know for sure that you're a Harman Curve hater then, even after changing the bass level with a 105Hz Low Shelf?

Or is it also that you can't find a headphone to seal on your head properly, which would affect bass performance for sure (and maybe other aspects) - in which case you wanna try to prioritise some large soft pad headphones that mould well around your glasses/face, a bit like the HE4XX I mentioned for example.
I'm not sure yet, but it seems I'm sensitive to the exact frequency of treble peaks as well as their amplitude. As I've mentioned, I am already an owner of the HE4XX along with many others (K712pro, HE400i older version, THX00 Ebony, HD58X and a few other over ears and lots of on ears and IEMs), just that I do not have *most of them with me currently. I have owned and sold off many others of all form factors too, including the R70X and K553pro, not counting the supposed TOTL sets I have tried

PS: My listening preferences should have changed during this time though. My current reference is a customised Moondrop Aria

Top Bottom