• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AKG K371 Review (closed back headphone)

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

markanini

Major Contributor
Weird that K361 seems less neutral than K371 according to those measurements.

It's not what @solderdude found out here, and not my subjective experience.

Other reviews like Oluv and Metal571 are split on this issue too. But the K371 gets a higher score on the Harman model.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
Many thanks for providing that link.

So, I'm not a technical expert by any means. But I know Amir often warns that measurements on headphones are not an exact science (pardon the pun), and the differences on the K371 don't look outlandish, particularly in light of Amir's recent comments on reading frequency response, and the need to be careful at the top end.

Comments on those? More than happy to be corrected, I'm still learning. Cheers.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Many thanks for providing that link.

So, I'm not a technical expert by any means. But I know Amir often warns that measurements on headphones are not an exact science (pardon the pun), and the differences on the K371 don't look outlandish, particularly in light of Amir's recent comments on reading frequency response, and the need to be careful at the top end.

Comments on those? More than happy to be corrected, I'm still learning. Cheers.
You're right that the differences on that particular headphone with that particular aftermarket pad are not that great, and it's hard to say if the difference is due to unit to unit variation, assuming that it's not the same headphone being measured. However, if we assume the difference is according to the pads, then comparing the two Oratory graphs then I'd think you'd be able to hear a difference in the sub 1kHz area, as the differences there follow some broad trend differences - a larger scoop out between 80-900Hz with the aftermarket pads (less energy in that region). Another factor is that the treble of the aftermarket pads is a little more messed up with some added peakiness.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
You're right that the differences on that particular headphone with that particular aftermarket pad are not that great, and it's hard to say if the difference is due to unit to unit variation, assuming that it's not the same headphone being measured. However, if we assume the difference is according to the pads, then comparing the two Oratory graphs then I'd think you'd be able to hear a difference in the sub 1kHz area, as the differences there follow some broad trend differences - a larger scoop out between 80-900Hz with the aftermarket pads (less energy in that region). Another factor is that the treble of the aftermarket pads is a little more messed up with some added peakiness.

I’m quietly pleased with myself, as that’s VERY roughly what I thought.

Ultimately, it doesn’t sound like the new pads will ruin the sound.

Also, they’re quite cheap. I think I’ll order and do some comparative listening. If I find they spoil things, I can put the originals back on.

Coming at you from left field, given the potential issues, can you name any tracks I could listen to where the difference in these frequencies might be obvious, and what particularly I might want to listen out for?

I know, I know, I don’t ask much.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m quietly pleased with myself, as that’s VERY roughly what I thought.

Ultimately, it doesn’t sound like the new pads will ruin the sound.

Also, they’re quite cheap. I think I’ll order and do some comparative listening. If I find they spoil things, I can put the originals back on.

Coming at you from left field, given the potential issues, can you name any tracks I could listen to where the difference in these frequencies might be obvious, and what particularly I might want to listen out for?

I know, I know, I don’t ask much.
Your aftermarket pads aren't the same ones that are measured are they? Therefore you can't make assumptions that they'll change the frequency response in the same way. It will be hard for you to compare pad differences due to the long length of time between listening to your section of track, changing the pads, then listening to the same section of track with the aftermarket pads....you will have forgotten what it sounds like, generally you need to compare within a few seconds really, which is not possible when changing the pads. Another variable is that the placement of the headphone on your head will be a bit different each time you put the headphone on, so that confuses things too as that alters the frequency response somewhat. Granted, if the pads make a big difference to the sound then you probably would recognise the difference on your most well known tracks. I would just listen to your favourite high quality recorded tracks that you like to make a comparison.

Last edited:

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
Your aftermarket pads aren't the same ones that are measured are they? Therefore you can't make assumptions that they'll change the frequency response in the same way. It will be hard for you to compare pad differences due to the long length of time between listening to your section of track, changing the pads, then listening to the same section of track with the aftermarket pads....you will have forgotten what it sounds like, generally you need to compare within a few seconds really, which is not possible when changing the pads. Another variable is that the placement of the headphone on your head will be a bit different each time you put the headphone on, so that confuses things too as that alters the frequency response somewhat. Granted, if the pads make a big difference to the sound then you probably would recognise the difference on your most well known tracks. I would just listen to your favourite high quality recorded tracks that you like to make a comparison.

Actually, if you look at my link earlier, they’re exactly the same pads (Brainwavs Oval).

Point taken on the the difficulty with comparison. However, if you put the headphones on your head slight differently each time, that’s just as true for if you haven’t changed the pads, which opens up a whole new avenue of discussion, particularly as the fit between me wearing the phones twice as my head is likely to offer results more similar to my head vs the machines on which these things are measured.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually, if you look at my link earlier, they’re exactly the same pads (Brainwavs Oval).

Point taken on the the difficulty with comparison. However, if you put the headphones on your head slight differently each time, that’s just as true for if you haven’t changed the pads, which opens up a whole new avenue of discussion, particularly as the fit between me wearing the phones twice as my head is likely to offer results more similar to my head vs the machines on which these things are measured.
Ah, that's great then that they're the same pads that were measured by Oratory....zero problem, use his EQ he did for those Brainwavs pads, you have nothing to worry about, apart from a slightly more chewed up treble.

Bleib

Major Contributor
Just registered mainly to comment on this. I purchased these last year, hoping they would best my AKG 273 Pro, but sadly they don't. 273 Pros play quite a bit cleaner.
I decided to keep these anyhow as they are quite sensitive and work well to use with Quest 2 VR unit, saves some battery.

parnarules

On the fence about these ones. Now that the hype train is not in full gear anymore, and taking into account the usual-suspect issues: qc (are these 100% solved now?), questionable durability, uncomfortable stock pads?, unstable fit...are the k371 still recommendable and can they still be considered the new benchmark for under 200$ closed-backs? What is your experience after months of use?

Robin L

Master Contributor
On the fence about these ones. Now that the hype train is not in full gear anymore, and taking into account the usual-suspect issues: qc (are these 100% solved now?), questionable durability, uncomfortable stock pads?, unstable fit...are the k371 still recommendable and can they still be considered the new benchmark for under 200$ closed-backs? What is your experience after months of use?
I never had any problem with the hinges on the headband. Fit is as stable as can be on my head. The pads seem just right for me. That's the key phrase right there: "for me". No headphone will work on every head or for every pair of ears. That said, for $120 it's a slam dunk [for me.]

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Well. I bit a month or so ago on the hype.For $120.

The 'good news' is they sound enjoyable to me without EQ. The bad news is: I find them hot and uncomfortable after 2 hours. I have relegated them to car passenger duty.

I far, far prefer my new $150 HE400se with $110 Qudelix 5k for PEQ, and Balanced Cable. Only PEQ needed is a Low Shelf of 4db at 80hz, and a Peak Boost of 3db at 2k. Supremely comfortable.

See GRAS FR and Distortion graphs here (HE-x4 and HE400se):
https://forum.headphones.com/t/drop-x-hifiman-he-x4/12561

If you don't need closed back, go with the HE400se and Qudelix if you can afford it.

Last edited:

Robin L

Master Contributor
Well. I bit a month or so ago on the hype.For $120.

The 'good news' is they sound enjoyable to me without EQ. The bad news is: I find them hot and uncomfortable after 2 hours. I have relegated them to car passenger duty.

I far, far prefer my new $150 HE400se with $110 Qudelix 5k for PEQ, and Balanced Cable. Only PEQ needed is a Low Shelf of 4db at 80hz, and a Peak Boost of 3db at 2k. Supremely comfortable.

See GRAS FR and Distortion graphs here (HE-x4 and HE400se):
https://forum.headphones.com/t/drop-x-hifiman-he-x4/12561

If you don't need closed back, go with the HE400se and Qudelix if you can afford it.
I have strong reason to believe that you wouldn't want a closed back phone in the first place. All closed-back headphones are going to heat up more than open back headphones. And if one needs closed-back headphones for some isolation, open-back headphones are not an option.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
I never had any problem with the hinges on the headband. Fit is as stable as can be on my head. The pads seem just right for me. That's the key phrase right there: "for me". No headphone will work on every head or for every pair of ears. That said, for $120 it's a slam dunk [for me.]
I concur

parnarules

Thanks for your answers. The Hifiman look great but they are out of my budget. I've seen second hand k702s for a similar price as k371 though, would that be a good open-back alternative?. Apples and oranges I know but...talking about sonic capabilities, are k371 and k702 in the same league? Many people here at AS seem to be in love with them, to the point of preferring the AKGs over the almighty HD600s.

Last edited:

Robin L

Master Contributor
Thanks for your answers. The Hifiman look great but they are out of my budget. I've seen second hand k702s for a similar price as k371 though, would that be a good open-back alternative?. Apples and oranges I know but...talking about sonic capabilities, are k371 and k702 in the same league? Many people here at AD seem to be in love with them, to the point of preferring the AKGs over the almighty HD600s.
I've got the Drop 6XX headphone, essentially the H 650, a very close relative of the HD 600. Smoother on top than the K371s by a smidge. Weaker on the bottom without eq by a whole lot. Require a fair amount of power to reproduce that bass. Open-backed for better and worse. The K371's don't require much power at all, don't need eq or extra power to reproduce bass, cost $100 less. Can't say one is better than the other, but there are circumstances where one would be better than the other. I'm glad to have both, they are both excellent in their own way. The AKG K371 is clearly the cheapskate's choice. I've got one playback system consisting of a $69 DAP loaded with a $80 512gb Micro SD card with 1600 CDs worth of music, hooked up to the K371 'phones, total cost of about $270.

Top Bottom