• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AKG K371 Impressions

Lbstyling

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
One recording I'm very familiar with:

Played back via the the AKG K371, I'm hearing something that I should be hearing that I don't hear via the Drop 6XX headphones. This performance of Pachelbel's Canon is notable for being as Earlie Musique as all get out. That is to say, articulation is exaggerated, the usual notion of classical beauty of tone is deliberately thrown out the window, along with vibrato and A = 440. If the string tone isn't nasty, something's wrong. The Akg K371s get that acid string tone, the Drop 6XXs smooth it out entirely.
Certainly not the only possibility, but the Metal diaphragm drivers in the akg's may have some influence on this.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Certainly not the only possibility, but the Metal diaphragm drivers in the akg's may have some influence on this.
I recall a fellow employee at Tower Records refer to Musica Antiqua Köln as "Speed-Metal Baroque".

Feelas

K371 has a mini XLR 3 pin connector.
The K361 a proprietary locking 2.5mm TRS connector.
View attachment 112287
I am not sure one can order the cable separate or if aftermarket cables will also be available.
No idea why the connector has been made this long.
Wonder how "proprietary" this locking connector is, because this looks much alike the KNS-8400 locking cable, perhaps there's some uncommon standard of locking 2.5mm cables?

FWIW I had success using non-locking cables in KNS-8400, perhaps the same is possible for AKG - if the 2.5mm connector is very slim, you might be able to push it into the connector anyways, it just won't lock because it doesn't have any holes. Bose's 2.5mm cable from QC35-II worked that way, so maybe any slim 2.5mm is possible.

@solderdude did I read correctly that Sennheiser's HD59x line uses 2.5mm connectors? Maybe these would also work.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Wonder how "proprietary" this locking connector is, because this looks much alike the KNS-8400 locking cable, perhaps there's some uncommon standard of locking 2.5mm cables?

FWIW I had success using non-locking cables in KNS-8400, perhaps the same is possible for AKG - if the 2.5mm connector is very slim, you might be able to push it into the connector anyways, it just won't lock because it doesn't have any holes. Bose's 2.5mm cable from QC35-II worked that way, so maybe any slim 2.5mm is possible.

@solderdude did I read correctly that Sennheiser's HD59x line uses 2.5mm connectors? Maybe these would also work.

Can't check what will fit and what won't. Thin plugs may well fit.

Top Bottom