• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AKG K271 MK II Chinese Review (Headphone)

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 159 89.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 17 9.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thats interesting, it says somehow: You never know what piece of shiit you get, so even EQ makes not much sense. ;)
Definitely a plus point for getting a headphone with low unit to unit variation! However, just recently I have had some really great success at tuning a headphone using an Oratory EQ, and specifically altering the "customisation" filters he lists - changing the "bass" filter of course, and more complicated but yielding great results was changing the "shoutiness" filter and to lesser extent a small change to the "timbral" filter - I'm talking my HD560s here (the second one I have that I didn't send to Oratory for measurement so I didn't have a personalised measurement of that unit to rely on). HD560s doesn't have bad unit to unit variation, but it does have it, after my finetuning it sounds bloody excellent now, smooth/balanced & detailed throughout the frequency range. So, in conclusion, low unit to unit variation is a fantastic start, but I'm a recent convert to subtle broad changes (low Q) in the rest of the frequency range - specifically the "customisation" filters that @oratory1990 implements in his EQ's he publishes which would help combat unit to unit variation as well as perhaps moulding the target curve to more suit your own HRTF (preference), would be a combination of the two. Previously I had been a bit hesitant to mess with the Harman Curve beyond bass manipulation, but I think careful changing of those customisation filters along with listening to your test tracks or portions of those test tracks that highlight those targetted frequency areas to really blend the frequency range into one smooth strata, lol! (I've recently found watching a spectrum analyser as I listen to the tracks helps to identify sounds you hear vs the frequency at which they occur, so you can target & check your filter frequency changes.)

EDIT: these are the customisation filters I was talking about (red anotations in following pic) (this is the Oratory EQ for the HD560s):
customisation filters (HD560s).jpg

Last edited:

PuX

I am very surprised that there is any difference in measurements from regular AKG K271

always assumed the only difference is the inclusion of velvet pads and soiled cable.

Joe Smith

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I used to like the look of these, but compared to the K361/K371 headphones, they just sound terrible. I'm still a pusher of the K361 as a great under $100 set of cans.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Attached is the measurement made of K271 Studio in 2002. Flat plate without pinnae. I don’ t know how they managed to cut the bass of the recent versions.

Attachments

• E321D8C9-AB89-4C5E-8090-AEFB95325BD1.jpeg
    E321D8C9-AB89-4C5E-8090-AEFB95325BD1.jpeg
    229.5 KB · Views: 104

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting that a company is able to produce two headphones with very different SQ at almost the same price (K271 vs K371).

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am very surprised that there is any difference in measurements from regular AKG K271

always assumed the only difference is the inclusion of velvet pads and soiled cable.
That takes the biscuit, we knew it was sh*t, but matching it with a soiled cable.....that's just a step too far, even though it matches of course!

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting that a company is able to produce two headphones with very different SQ at almost the same price (K271 vs K371).
K371 is a lot newer model though right, or not? If it's newer then at least that one is a step in the right direction.

Bleib

Major Contributor
K371 is a lot newer model though right, or not? If it's newer then at least that one is a step in the right direction.
371 I'd like to have in a newer version without the exaggregated deep bas and less EQ needed in general

Attached is the measurement made of K271 Studio in 2002. Flat plate without pinnae. I don’ t know how they managed to cut the bass of the recent versions.
Yeah, that's why I hunted down the Austria version through Ebay. I've had some stellar experiences with it, for instance in this song it sounds like the drums are playing in the room

Last edited:

Aperiodic

Forum Donor
Sad... it really does seem as though the AKG from 20 years ago really isn't with us anymore.
Most definitely not. All AKG production in Austria was shut down a few years ago and moved to the cheap-labor paradise of China. The Massdrop K7xx was the stalking horse for this move while they tested out their QC I suspect. They are counting on name recognition to keep the brand alive until they have run it completely into the ground. Expect the same from Sennheiser, which sold off their consumer line not long ago to some entity which is probably planning on following suit.

Last edited:

respice finem

Major Contributor
The main problem is not where it's made, but how... If a manufacturer isn't "vigilant" with their QC, any country is capable of delivering a lemon. My semi-educated guess: half of the QC people have switched companies, the other half is in lockdown, and at the assembly line "the mice are dancing" :D

oratory1990

Reviewer
On a flat plate setup it's very easy to achieve perfect sealing. On actual heads / head-and-torso-simulators not so much. The latter are much more representative of how the headphone sounds on a human head though.

Flat-plate setups are great for quality control (verifying whether all units that you produce do indeed measure the same), but they are not useful in determining absolute performance of a headphone and aren't used for that consequentially.

They are made by different companies and have been designed by different engineers.
Other than the branding they really have nothing in common.

Remember that AKG closed down in 2015. The brand name is owned by Harman/Samsung, so they can slap it onto anything they like.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On a flat plate setup it's very easy to achieve perfect sealing. On actual heads / head-and-torso-simulators not so much. The latter are much more representative of how the headphone sounds on a human head though.

Flat-plate setups are great for quality control (verifying whether all units that you produce do indeed measure the same), but they are not useful in determining absolute performance of a headphone and aren't used for that consequentially.

Agree to some extent; however the original K271 did have a much better bass response than the current K271 Mk2. I evaluated that in comparison to 30 other headphones in 2002-2003, and the K271 was one of the better ones. Listening sessions were made without disclosing any measurements at the time and all subjective poor or exaggerated bass was confirmed by measurements. It was very consistent.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm, a typo? Sensitivity 160 or 168?

Top Bottom