• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AKG K271 MK II Chinese Review (Headphone)

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 159 89.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 17 9.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters

solderdude

Grand Contributor
@amirm, a typo? Sensitivity 160 or 168?

Sensitivity (at 400Hz) is 160. A more common sensitivity unit would be dB/V and this one is 110dB/V.
The left channel is 108dB/V by the way.
The mean value between all measured headphones is 168 so pretty average in sensitivity.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sensitivity (at 400Hz) is 160. A more common sensitivity unit would be dB/V and this one is 110dB/V.
The left channel is 108dB/V by the way.
The mean value between all measured headphones is 168 so pretty average in sensitivity.

Thanks. Average means all HPs and not L+R

oratory1990

Reviewer
Agree to some extent; however the original K271 did have a much better bass response than the current K271 Mk2. I evaluated that in comparison to 30 other headphones in 2002-2003, and the K271 was one of the better ones. Listening sessions were made without disclosing any measurements at the time and all subjective poor or exaggerated bass was confirmed by measurements. It was very consistent.
I can't personally confirm that - every K271 I ever listened to had undoubtedly bad bass performance - but seeing as how long this headphone has been production - even it not quite as long as the K240 - I would not be surprised if some of the changes to manufacturing during the years resulted in statistically significant changes to the performance.

In either case, I can assure you that no K271 has ever truly achieved a flat, linear bass performance as the flat-plate measurement implies on an actual human head.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't personally confirm that - every K271 I ever listened to had undoubtedly bad bass performance - but seeing as how long this headphone has been production - even it not quite as long as the K240 - I would not be surprised if some of the changes to manufacturing during the years resulted in statistically significant changes to the performance.

In either case, I can assure you that no K271 has ever truly achieved a flat, linear bass performance as the flat-plate measurement implies on an actual human head.

Well what I know is that the version tested in 2002 sound nothing like the one in this review. It was one of the top ones along with HD600 but where the Sennheiser was poor on the subbass compoared to K271. Listening tests were done both with music and single bass tones from 20 Hz and up. There were four perons in the test panel. Then the measurements were revealed. Separate measurements of the K271 posted earlier shows similar results.

After Harman Kardon brought AKG, I haven't seen any decent headphones from AKG. Now it's a Samsung company. It might be even worse.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Was this published anywhere?

Yes but in a Swedish magazine from the Swedish Audio-Technical Society. I was a member at the time and wrote a few articles and participated in evaluations.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
After Harman Kardon brought AKG, I haven't seen any decent headphones from AKG. Now it's a Samsung company. It might be even worse.

There are some newer decent ones frpm AKG/Harman. They have been listed on ASR in various threads.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
K371 though, that's a good one, a recent one. I have no idea what AKG have on the cards for the future, but if K371 was the latest headphone they released then maybe they're dancing to a different tune now (improving).

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
K371 though, that's a good one, a recent one. I have no idea what AKG have on the cards for the future, but if K371 was the latest headphone they released then maybe they're dancing to a different tune now (improving).
K361 is also quite good IMO.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
I feel theses measures are like treason. I bought the last 40 years plenty of AKG, for me and for the family. I was confident in AKG, and the last K361 and 371 ate used by the children and me.
I am really sad for the brand and I believe this is what happens when the question is only money.
Do we have to consider this as another proof attesting big companies are like psychopaths?

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is a direct comparison between the Austrian and Chinese-made K271 Mk2, average dBSPL L+R. Differences could be due to measurement variations, individual differences between units, or changed quality of drivers.

AKG.PNG

solderdude

Grand Contributor
In both cases a poor result though. :(

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In both cases a poor result though. :(
Yes. According to my experience the original K271 did have a better result overall, especially in the bass region.

oratory1990

Reviewer
Here is a direct comparison between the Austrian and Chinese-made K271 Mk2, average dBSPL L+R. Differences could be due to measurement variations, individual differences between units, or changed quality of drivers.

View attachment 185151
are these Amir's measurements? Or a different measurement rig?

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

oratory1990

Reviewer
Here's Amir's measurements compared to mine (I measured a unit made in China). Measured using the same pinna and ear canal simulator (albeit on a full dummy head, not on the 45CA), so they are directly comparable.

It shares similarities to both of Amir's measurements.
I would chalk this one up to unit variation.
AKG K271 mk.II.png

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I guess the thing Thomas_A would be most interested in is finding a mk1 and have that one measured.

There won't be much of them flaoting around though.
The mk-II is a poor headphone but guess they can fulfill their purpose (monitoring not mixing nor music enjoyment).

Top Bottom