• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Akai GX-620 Reel to Reel Tape Deck Measurements

Jim Shaw

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The distortion measurement shown below is exactly what I expected:
1666657849935.png

Notice the predominance of odd harmonic distortion that is typical of analog tape. Odd harmonics are not beloved music artifacts when audible. We fought them throughout the life of analog magnetic tape. These harmonics were a key reason that, even in the good old days, tape was unable to be dubbed (copied) more than one or two generations before the music became annoyingly changed.

Another generic graph here shows one big reason why the analog tape studio industry started but never stuck to using 30 ips. Notice that signals below 50 Hz mostly vanish at 30 ips, but not so badly at 15 ips. Rock music notwithstanding, there's a lot of music below 50 Hz.
1666803863847.png

Last edited:

AndreaT

Forum Donor
Nice machine. Problem w RTR was the source tape for recorded bands: ultra-expensive, rare, very sensitive to heat and age, recorded on a different RTR with very variable electromechanical parameters. I believe it was a problem never appropriately solved because of the small market for recorded material compared to LPs and in the 1970’s and 80’s the compact cassette.

dfuller

Major Contributor
I think that Revox was the consumer audio branch of Studer, which where making Pro Recorders.
Yes indeed, Revox was the consumer branch of Studer - Studer machines are considered among the finest pro tape recorders ever made (along with later era Ampexes - I'd be hard pressed to choose between an ATR-102 and a 2-track A820).

tomchris

Ah, the tacile design cues of old audio equipment.

Did they ever make a reel to reel tape machine without solenoids, that is, with a 'silent' mechanism?

tamagaba

Forum Donor
It is a 30-40 years old mechanical unit with electronics
A complete renovation is required (proper competence)
Then let them listen and measure

Attachments

• gx620.jpg
    gx620.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 92

Biagiod

from 1983It is a 30-40 years old mechanical unit with electronics
A complete renovation is required (proper competence)
Then let them listen and measure
I totally agree. Frequency response is not adequate nor macthes Akai specifications. I expect a bit more from a reel to reel recorder, even if 40 years old. A Nak cassette recorder performed much better than today results, which can't simply be.

from 1983

I am afraid mechanical vintage hi-fi is just vintage after 4 decades.... hi-fi is gone, which is a real pitty
cheers

JaccoW

I totally agree. Frequency response is not adequate nor macthes Akai specifications. I expect a bit more from a reel to reel recorder, even if 40 years old. A Nak cassette recorder performed much better than today results, which can't simply be.

from 1983

I am afraid mechanical vintage hi-fi is just vintage after 4 decades.... hi-fi is gone, which is a real pitty
cheers
If you want, I do have some old radio recordings from around 1985 that still sound pretty amazing, even at 3¾ ips. I'll just record them using my ADC.
I believe some of the older recordings can be excellent but getting everything up to spec today is hard work.

Jim Shaw

Forum Donor
Bias is almost always user adjustable. On professional recorders like Revox it was standard operating procedure to set bias.
Indeed. It's why, in the days when analog tape was the best we had, we bought tape stock in large lots from the same manufacturer. For critical live recordings, our techs would reset the bias just before the event, and make certain that all the tape stock came from the same batch. And we'd check head alignment, clean the heads, and demagnetize them, too.

A magnetized head can wipe off some high frequencies and raise the noise level in just one pass of playback. And more with each pass...

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I think that Revox was the consumer audio branch of Studer, which where making Pro Recorders.
In essence, yes. Both were tied to Willi Studer. ReVox was more like "prosumer" though, not just used by hobbyists.
The Studer studio machines are pretty incredible.

I have a pretty nice ReVox (an A77 rehabbed for me as a half-track, high speed deck by Charles "Stellavox" King) -- A Studer 80-series deck will always be beyond my means, though.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In essence, yes. Both were tied to Willi Studer. ReVox was more like "prosumer" though, not just used by hobbyists.
The Studer studio machines are pretty incredible.

I have a pretty nice ReVox (an A77 rehabbed for me as a half-track, high speed deck by Charles "Stellavox" King) -- A Studer 80-series deck will always be beyond my means, though.
I'm surprised how cheap this one is:

Maybe has problems?

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
"needs a little TLC" :)
The one person I know with a (quarter-inch) A80 family member has a whole parts/organ donor deck to help keep it going.
It is a wonderful piece of hardware, though.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
"needs a little TLC" :)
The one person I know with a (quarter-inch) A80 family member has a whole parts/organ donor deck to help keep it going.
It is a wonderful piece of hardware, though.
I don't want to know what 2" reels of tape cost.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Believe it or not, used ones of no particular provenance (i.e., that don't contain, say, lost Prince tracks) might actually not be so bad, since they're of somewhat limited usefulness to most folks.

dfuller

Major Contributor
new ones from ATR Magnetics (which as I understand it are basically Ampex/Quantegy GP9) are about $365.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
new ones from ATR Magnetics (which as I understand it are basically Ampex/Quantegy GP9) are about $365.
Not as bad as I thought.

SMJ

You could minimise adjustments by using the same tape type for each recording, the sensitivity and record parameters varied significantly and it's best to stick with formulations that were around when the machine was made. Yes, standard operating procedure was to check bias on each recording for important stuff (in the BBC anyway).

A playback calibration tape is essential to set the correct replay frequency response and level. A tape with 1kHz and 10kHz tones can be used with a stereo meter (with an S +20 facility) to check the phase at both frequencies allowing you to align the playback azimuth.

Once that is done, record a 1kHz tone and monitoring off the playback, increase the bias until the output reaches a peak and then starts to fall. When it has fallen by 1dB, that's your optimum.

Then you can check the record level and frequency response and adjust for minimum phase difference by adjusting the azimuth on the record head at 1kHz and 10kHz.

Steve J

Top Bottom