• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AK unveils new 'AK4498' DAC with dedicated D-S chip

Veri

Master Contributor
"AK4191EQ and AK4498EQ split the traditional DAC's digital filtering & delta sigma modulation and analog parts to reduce the interference between the digital and analog parts. The general idea is similar to removing the current-voltage conversion with the AK4499EQ. The more scattered the better, moderately reduce the degree of integration to reduce signal interference. As for the indicator, it is inconvenient to directly compare with the AK4499EQ because it is split into two parts.
While conventional DACs use a single chip to convert signals from digital to analog, new products split the conversion process between the AK4191 delta-sigma modulator and the AK4498 DAC. This innovative approach has resulted in an improvement in sound quality that is easily perceptible while listening to music."

Not much of a fan of the marketing blurb :facepalm:

Some official AKM info here:
https://www.akm.com/global/en/products/audio/audio-dac/ak4498eq/
https://www.akm.com/global/en/products/audio/audio-dac/ak4191eq/

I read about it at this diyaudio thread:
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/350733-ak4191eq.html

These new chips supposedly are not targeted for manufacturing until Q2 2021

mansr

Major Contributor
Looking at the few numbers given, I don't see the interest compared to the AK4497. Better filter maybe?
It appears that they're now doing proper interpolation up to 256x rather than 8x followed by zero-order hold.

And Akm continues with the bad habit (since AK4493) of not publishing their specs...
AKM have gone full audiophool.

OP
Veri

Veri

Master Contributor
Looking at the few numbers given, I don't see the interest compared to the AK4497. Better filter maybe?

I suppose so. After all their rather slow attenuating filters I suppose this time they'll do it "right" :rolleyes:

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It appears that they're now doing proper interpolation up to 256x rather than 8x followed by zero-order hold.

I smell some burning Chord in this! 256x is similar to 256Fs from that Chord stuff

mansr

Major Contributor
These two sentences look like fitting well together. I had in mind that "proper interpolation" has no interest for audio above ~400 kHz.
256x interpolation ought to be easy enough with modern IC processes, and it is technically preferable to zero-order hold. Unless targeting very low power or low cost, I see no reason to not do it in a new design. Most audio DAC chips on the market seem to be based on fairly old designs even if they've received the occasional tweak.

Yviena

So they are basically doing what people with AKM dacs, and HQplayer + DSDD modulator bypass mode has been doing for years by upsampling to 256Fs using interpolation?

mansr

Major Contributor
So they are basically doing what people with AKM dacs, and HQplayer + DSDD modulator bypass mode has been doing for years by upsampling to 256Fs using interpolation?
Similar but better: the output is multi-level. Two-level (1-bit) DSD has a raft of issues that go away when the number of levels is increased.

Yviena

Similar but better: the output is multi-level. Two-level (1-bit) DSD has a raft of issues that go away when the number of levels is increased.
Interesting I wonder if the more complex/resource intensive modulators in HQp would offset the issues with 1-bit DSM something like quality instead of quantity?

Looking at the HQP manual it seems that it has some kind of pseudo multi-bit modulator:

AMSDM7 512+fs Special adaptive seventh order “pseudo-multi-bit” modulator optimized for rates above >= 20.48 MHz.

mansr

Major Contributor
Interesting I wonder if the more complex/resource intensive modulators in HQp would offset the issues with 1-bit DSM something like quality instead of quantity?

Looking at the HQP manual it seems that it has some kind of pseudo multi-bit modulator:

AMSDM7 512+fs Special adaptive seventh order “pseudo-multi-bit” modulator optimized for rates above >= 20.48 MHz.
He can call it whatever he wants, the output is still 1-bit.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Will we be able to hear the differences?
We seem to be(are?) at a point where on the audible, the plateau has been reached. It is a market economy, manufacturers have to come up with new blurbs to sell their ware.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't believe on specs too much. Over the decades I saw a lot manufactures lies on numbers published there.

Including DAC chip manufacturers? I've seen it from finished DAC manufacturers, but was not aware it also happened at the chip level.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Don't believe on specs too much. Over the decades I saw a lot manufactures lies on numbers published there.
Where I am coming from, one single erroneous parameter on a spec can have huge financial consequences. So component specs don't lie. It's not a question of believing, it's a question of having proper work baselines for product development. How do you develop a product if you start questioning each single component parameter?

Gradius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Where I am coming from, one single erroneous parameter on a spec can have huge financial consequences. So component specs don't lie. It's not a question of believing, it's a question of having proper work baselines for product development. How do you develop a product if you start questioning each single component parameter?

Check all those measures available here. You will see only the best ones come close to the specs. But they never match.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Check all those measures available here. You will see only the best ones come close to the specs. But they never match.
A component and it's implementation are two different animals.
One also needs to distinguish the notions of typical, min, max. Only min and max are commitments, typical is more of an information.

Top Bottom