• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AIYIMA DAC-A6 Review (Stereo DAC)

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 41 20.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 140 68.3%
  • Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 21 10.2%

• Total voters

JSmith

Master Contributor
In this price range, you might as well throw it away when screen deteriorates.
True, but then that just creates more e-waste and pollution... would prefer something to last longer than the screen part.
Don’t most of these DACs have oled displays? Topping has oled, right?
I wouldn't say most, but some do yes.

JSmith

laudio

Inflation is rough. The Loxjie D30 on here from last year had better specs, a headphone amp, a remote, and looked better (to me). For $150. Plus internal power supply.

GWolfman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks. Wonder how much more it'd cost for balanced out (even if in 1/4" variety like some Topping products).

Paolo

Showing a static image they will not last very long.
With daily usage for example on the PC maybe 1-2 years before significant "burn in"
True, but with a DAC, if the display has a dimmer feature which turn it off after a few seconds, you may run it for months before adding up to “hours of use”.

Walter

Out of curiosity, how do you go for SPDIF from your tower computer to your DAC? I'm not particularly familiar with the gamers market. You are right tough, Noisy USB ports is not uncommon and it does show up post conversion more often than we think.
I don't, at least at the moment, as I currently have the world's weakest graphics card due to prices skyrocketing just as I was putting my new system together. Since I am not a gamer, it was not worth paying the price. However, I made sure that the motherboard I bought had an S/PDIF optical output, which is not particularly hard to find on mid-level or better boards. So when I do step up to a better graphics card, as I will have to when I upgrade my main monitor, I'll be prepared if there is interference over USB.

polmuaddib

Forum Donor
True, but then that just creates more e-waste and pollution... would prefer something to last longer than the screen part.
I agree completely. I would rather buy more reliable, sturdy, repairable device with worse measurements.
Hope we get better in recycling, though.

Reactions: EJ3

Lambda

Major Contributor
Out of curiosity, how do you go for SPDIF from your tower computer to your DAC? I'm not particularly familiar with the gamers market. You are right tough, Noisy USB ports is not uncommon and it does show up post conversion more often than we think.
Many Mainboards have SPDIF or Toslink out.
And if not HDMI/USB to SPDIF/Toslink converter exist and are cheap.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is a motherboard termination panel with SPDIF and optical out.
Screenshot 2021-11-12 030659.png

Last edited:

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Since you're looking for isolation (it's usually the ground that's the issue, not USB as such), if using coax make sure the motherboard or connector breakout has a transformer. Some do, but the one linked earlier doesn't.

Lambda

Major Contributor
Since you're looking for isolation (it's usually the ground that's the issue, not USB as such), if using coax make sure the motherboard or connector breakout has a transformer. Some do, but the one linked earlier doesn't.
It is sufficient if the resiver(DAC) has the transformer.
if both sides isolate its better but i don't think thats common.
(do SPDIF transmitter ever have isolation?)

Ideal is of cause Optical and a converter is only 5-15$ in case you have problems.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
It is sufficient if the resiver(DAC) has the transformer.
if both sides isolate its better but i don't think thats common.
(do SPDIF transmitter ever have isolation?)

Ideal is of cause Optical and a converter is only 5-15$ in case you have problems.
I've seen many more transmitters with isolation than receivers. I think the AES spec says the transmitters have to have it, while the EBU version says both ends. M-Audio Audiophile 2496 and 192, and FastTrack Ultra 8R all have it on transmit but not receive. You can see it in the photos of the various Topping D10(s,b) models, the Pro versions of HifiBerry's DIGI hats, and even the €19 Fun Generation UA-202.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Sure but Toslink won't have ground issues.

bravomail

I am going to recommend the AIYIMA DAC-A6.
Thx for review, Amir! if we lived in vacuum, DAC-A6 would have been fine choice. But for the same money or less there r similar devices, with remote, more SINAD, ....

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I gave it a 3 because it is (similar to as some companies used to say) "adequate".
My concerns are (as already expressed by others whom I have copied): the display burn in/longevity, the fast rise of distortion with frequency, which Bluetooth codecs it supports (or doesn't) and that the performance starts to worsen near max volume.
I would be willing to pay $20 to $50 more for something with similar looks & ergonomics that had these items rectified (and had overall great possibility of great longevity).

ranrt

I would rate it 3 stars , for the reason bellows.
1. No remote.
2. No tubes, like my Fosi audio tube P1 have.
3. Wish it had an IEC power inlet.

milosz

Forum Donor
There are so many very good DACs these days at very reasonable prices.... I wonder who is buying the expensive DACs from the high-end companies that (mostly) measure worse but cost ten times or more as much...?

Top Bottom