• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AIYIMA D03 class D amplifier "Subjective review"

Raindog123

Major Contributor
I'm looking for a high quality SMPS for AIYIMA A07 because generic SMPS units decrease SNR by leaking mains hum into amplifiers.

A noble goal... On your quest, I would humbly suggest you try to understand what "the SNR of an amplifier" really is (its relation to “noise figure” and definition for audio amplifiers ["@ 1W"]), vs what Amir measured for A07, vs your typical listening levels, vs what the Redbook [96dB] dynamic range/SNR is...

And at the end, what you have might be totally adequate. :)

Last edited:

Ralferator

RoA

I intensely dislike the new trend of cheap colour displays. They remind me of early phones with color screens. If its small make it monochrome!

D

Deleted member 9685

A noble goal... On your quest, I would humbly suggest you try to understand what "the SNR of an amplifier" really is (its relation to “noise figure” and definition for audio amplifiers ["@ 1W"]), vs what Amir measured for A07, vs your typical listening levels, vs what the Redbook [96dB] dynamic range/SNR is...

And at the end, what you have might be totally adequate. :)

Amir's measurement concluded that AIYIMA A07's SNR was limited to 14.5 bits of dynamic range due to the power supply that is usually sold with A07. I want at least 16bits of dynamic range.

I have the power supply that would limit AIYIMA A07's SNR to 14.5 bits of dynamic range.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir's measurement concluded that AIYIMA A07's SNR was limited to 14.5 bits of dynamic range due to the power supply that is usually sold with A07. I want at least 16bits of dynamic range.

I have the power supply that would limit AIYIMA A07's SNR to 14.5 bits of dynamic range.
You misunderstood Amir's reported dynamic range numbers. The 84.3 dB (ch2, the less performant channel) figure is for 5 W output. The 96 dB is for max output with the 48 V power supply.

Noise floor is the same with either power supply. Therefore, unless you listen louder, SNR (at the same listening level) is the same regardless of which PS you use. The benefit from using the 48 V one is higher output.

OP
robertospeed

robertospeed

Interesting amp although I find it hard to believe it has the balls to drive high current 4 ohm speakers.
he managed to pilot the wharfedale evo 4.4, but still he sounds better with the q acoustic 3050i who are easier to pilot, but from a very small amplifier and so low cost mica you can expect who knows that, indeed for what he can do It's really great.
excuse my English, I use the translator

Toku

Major Contributor
Interesting amp although I find it hard to believe it has the balls to drive high current 4 ohm speakers.
Currently, I am using a D03 with a 4Ω speaker connected. From time to time, I am conducting a loud playback test while preparing for complaints from the neighborhood. The D03 can easily drive low impedance speakers and has excellent damping capability. This point has the same or better ability as A07.

David Harper

So you think it can drive magnepan speakers? I'm currently driving them with a 200 (into 4 ohm) wpc Schiit Vidar class AB amp. It sometimes shuts down due to thermal or current overload. Your little lightweight class D amp could do this?

Toku

Major Contributor
So you think it can drive magnepan speakers? I'm currently driving them with a 200 (into 4 ohm) wpc Schiit Vidar class AB amp. It sometimes shuts down due to thermal or current overload. Your little lightweight class D amp could do this?
I checked the specifications of Magnepan speakers.
Since it is 4Ω/86dB, it should be usable without problems unless it is played back at a particularly loud volume. I can't say for sure because the detailed impedance characteristic graph is unknown, but there should be no problem as long as there is no large impedance dip in the frequency band.
If you want more stable operation, I think the SMSL AO200, which operates at 2Ω, is better.
Speakers that are generally said to be difficult to drive have dips that cause the impedance to rise or fall significantly or drop extremely.
The only thing that is true is to actually combine them and check the operation.

David Harper

The impedance of my maggies drops to 2.6 ohms at certain frequencies and they require lots of current as well.

Toku

Major Contributor
The impedance of my maggies drops to 2.6 ohms at certain frequencies and they require lots of current as well.
Thank you for the information that the impedance of magnepan drops to 2.6Ω at the dip point.
The amplifier chip TAS5624a used in the D03 guarantees operation of at least 2.5Ω in BTL mode in the data sheet.
So, in my judgment, I think you can drive magneg pan speakers with DO3. However, this is a story if the amplifier manufacturer does not limit anything in the design. The excellent speaker drive capability of the D03 is due to the performance of the TAS5624a chip.

Last edited:

rwanek

Hey there. Thank you for your review/impressions.

Do you think this D03 would drive well with Boston acoustic A360?

Toku

Major Contributor
Hey there. Thank you for your review/impressions.

Do you think this D03 would drive well with Boston acoustic A360?
I researched the SPECIFICATIONS of BOSTON ACOUSTICS A360.
Sensitivity is as high as 90 dB (SPL / 2.8V / m) (1W @ 1M), so you can drive with D03 without any problem.

dr0ss

How well-behaved is the D03 switched from a master switch? In other words, if you unplug it then plug it back in, does it retain settings and start from where it left off?

This amp sounds like the TI TAS5624 evaluation module together with their USB input board 3, at a fraction of the price. It isn't exactly latest and greatest technology (the IC is from 8 years ago), but could be good enough for most human ears.

Top Bottom