• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AIYIMA D03 class D amplifier "Subjective review"

Midnight Audiophile

Here is Aiyima response on facebook !!!

View attachment 233500
Knowing English is not their native tongue, they're not incorrect. The 36v 6a ps will work. You'll have a max of 216 watts vs 160 watts with the 32v 5a power supply so you will have more power for your speakers. As long as the power supply doesn't get hot or add any noise it should be fine.

godsmack50

Knowing English is not their native tongue, they're not incorrect. The 36v 6a ps will work. You'll have a max of 216 watts vs 160 watts with the 32v 5a power supply so you will have more power for your speakers. As long as the power supply doesn't get hot or add any noise it should be fine.
216 watts ... Explain it to me, are you sure about it ?

godsmack50

I just found this review of the Aiyima D03 on Amazon !!!

Attachments

• FireShot Capture 106 - AIYIMA D03 Bluetooth 5.0 150W x 2 Stereo HiFi 2.1 CH Digital Sound Am_ ...jpg
    FireShot Capture 106 - AIYIMA D03 Bluetooth 5.0 150W x 2 Stereo HiFi 2.1 CH Digital Sound Am_ ...jpg
    142 KB · Views: 683
  • FireShot Capture 103 - AIYIMA D03 Bluetooth 5.0 150W x 2 Stereo HiFi 2.1 CH Digital Sound Am_ ...jpg
    FireShot Capture 103 - AIYIMA D03 Bluetooth 5.0 150W x 2 Stereo HiFi 2.1 CH Digital Sound Am_ ...jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 662
  • FireShot Capture 104 - AIYIMA D03 Bluetooth 5.0 150W x 2 Stereo HiFi 2.1 CH Digital Sound Am_ ...jpg
    FireShot Capture 104 - AIYIMA D03 Bluetooth 5.0 150W x 2 Stereo HiFi 2.1 CH Digital Sound Am_ ...jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 546
  • FireShot Capture 105 - AIYIMA D03 Bluetooth 5.0 150W x 2 Stereo HiFi 2.1 CH Digital Sound Am_ ...jpg
    FireShot Capture 105 - AIYIMA D03 Bluetooth 5.0 150W x 2 Stereo HiFi 2.1 CH Digital Sound Am_ ...jpg
    108 KB · Views: 656

godsmack50

Amps x Volts = Watts. (36 x 6 = 216, 32 x 5 = 160)
Are you sure about this ? But when you say 216 watts with power supply 36v 6a , you divide it by 2 , 108 watts per channel ? And it is also necessary to take into account the impendance of the speakers also, because the watts will not be the same with speakers 8 ohms, 6 ohms or 4 ohms !!!

Jeromeof

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Are you sure about this ? But when you say 216 watts with power supply 36v 6a , you divide it by 2 , 108 watts per channel ? And it is also necessary to take into account the impendance of the speakers also, because the watts will not be the same with speakers 8 ohms, 6 ohms or 4 ohms !!!
If you go by Aiyima own chart - 36v will provide 170w https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51sPAYPd9HL._SL500_.jpg - I seem to remember devices will just pull what they require so it won't pull 6a it will pull 5a (from a 6a power supply).

But in my experience this is mostly total BS - this is probably with 10% distortion - useable watts will be considerably less - but mostly unless you want to use this in a large venue you will never need that much power - 25w / 30w per channel is much more realistic from devices like this and that would probably be enough to annoy your neighbours and ultimately make you deaf if you listen long enough :p

godsmack50

If you go by Aiyima own chart - 36v will provide 170w https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51sPAYPd9HL._SL500_.jpg - I seem to remember devices will just pull what they require so it won't pull 6a it will pull 5a (from a 6a power supply).

But in my experience this is mostly total BS - this is probably with 10% distortion - useable watts will be considerably less - but mostly unless you want to use this in a large venue you will never need that much power - 25w / 30w per channel is much more realistic from devices like this and that would probably be enough to annoy your neighbours and ultimately make you deaf if you listen long enough :p
That's not what it says here !!!

FireShot Capture 106 - AIYIMA D03 Bluetooth 5.0 150W x 2 Stereo HiFi 2.1 CH Digital Sound Am_ ...jpg

Jeromeof

Forum Donor
That's not what it says here !!!

View attachment 233606
ok - fair enough - I haven't pushed it that much but its a nice device - though I would prefer the Aiyima A07 + external DAC - but for a small standalone device its great (and the Subwoofer output does work)!

Actually, I was thinking of using it as part of a replacement for a soundbar tomorrow in my 'kids' TV room (with some Polk Speakers) - it's small enough they wouldn't notice and when they are in school I can use it while working - its warmer there than my garage for the WFH Winter ;)

Funny, the major complaint I spotted on Youtube (by CheapAudioMan) was that it looked terrible!

Midnight Audiophile

Looking at the chip specs for the TAS5624, you should be good on THD+N with 8 ohms up to 60 watts, and up to 100 at 4 ohms:

TAS5624.png

Here's how the Aiyima A07's TPA3255 chip compares:
Untitled-6.jpg

godsmack50

Looking at the chip specs for the TAS5624, you should be good on THD+N with 8 ohms up to 60 watts, and up to 100 at 4 ohms:

Here's how the Aiyima A07's TPA3255 chip compares:
Yes but using which power supply, the 32 volts 5a or the 36 volts 6a ?

kaopad999

the RCA analogue inputs really let the A03 down. Shame really, otherwise i might buy it.
Perosnally i think it's worth spending an extra 90 USD and buying the SMSL DA9, or A300

Jeromeof

Forum Donor
Yes I agree the RCA is a shame, but I do think the reason to get an A03 is mostly to have a full digital workflow for music - I like the idea of taking a digital source (e.g. Wiim Mini optical output) and processing that signal with a FDA like the A03. As for power I also like that the A03 has a subwoofer output and Aiyima did confirm when I asked them, that there is a DSP crossover for the subwoofer so that in theory (again I would love this device to be tested) would offload a significant amount of the power for lower frequencies to the subwoofer.

bathroomskank

I have frequent cracks when I play music through this amp with USB connection. Has anyone experienced the same issue ?

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have frequent cracks when I play music through this amp with USB connection. Has anyone experienced the same issue ?
Not with this amp - but with other devices.

It sounds like you are getting data errors on the USB - how long is the USB connection?

If you can, try a shorter usb cable, and/or a lower sample rate. This can also be a result of ground loop noise on the USB connection. If this is the case then USB isolation might help.

Toku

Major Contributor
I purchased the D03 and thoroughly tested the product in action.
I've never had a problem like yours with a USB input.
I don't know the details of the playback system including the PC, so I can't comment.
What kind of music files are you playing?

mentamums

Hey,

I've had the D03 for about 1.5 years now. It's hooked into a TV where I'm streaming from an Apple TV. And I've had thus issue with Optical port making a terrible noice (see linked video om vimeo). It comes on after a while. Usually when I change apps on the Apple TV. Like from Netflix to HBO or other. I never get this from the AUX port, nor Bluetooth. However, the Bluetooth sounds terrible from time to time - like the sound is cracking.

I've checked the Opt ports for dirt, restarted everything, disconnected Aux + Bluetooth (connections+antenna). No difference.

The Opt port is way better sounding than the Aux - hence why I'd like to get rid off this issue. Any ideas what this might be? Broken amp, broken dac?

Thanks in advance.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey,

I've had the D03 for about 1.5 years now. It's hooked into a TV where I'm streaming from an Apple TV. And I've had thus issue with Optical port making a terrible noice (see linked video om vimeo). It comes on after a while. Usually when I change apps on the Apple TV. Like from Netflix to HBO or other. I never get this from the AUX port, nor Bluetooth. However, the Bluetooth sounds terrible from time to time - like the sound is cracking.

I've checked the Opt ports for dirt, restarted everything, disconnected Aux + Bluetooth (connections+antenna). No difference.

The Opt port is way better sounding than the Aux - hence why I'd like to get rid off this issue. Any ideas what this might be? Broken amp, broken dac?

Thanks in advance.
Can you try a lower sample rate - if your TV or apple TV have settings for that.

I have problems with an optical output if I set it to more than 24/48.

Zek

Major Contributor
This shouldn't be a problem as AIYIMA claims in the description that all digital inputs support 24bit/192kHz.
”PC-USB/optical/coaxial sampling rate: 24bit/192khz”

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This shouldn't be a problem as AIYIMA claims in the description that all digital inputs support 24bit/192kHz.
RIght - but it can be a cable quality vs length vs sensitivity of the reciever vs power of the driver. type thing

Basically he might have marginal error rate at a higher speed.

mentamums

Can you try a lower sample rate - if your TV or apple TV have settings for that.

I have problems with an optical output if I set it to more than 24/48.
Thanks for the swift feedback. I have no advanced settings like this in the TV unfortunately (Grundig 40" 10+ years old). I'll try a different cable/buy a new tv. :D Pretty much just looking for reasons throwing this old garbage out. Now I might have one.

BT issue is just sometimes, specially from my Mac laptop.

Cheers

Top Bottom