• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AIYIMA A300 Review (Stereo Amplifier)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 33 17.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 120 61.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 38 19.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 3 1.5%

• Total voters

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the AIYIMA A300 stereo amplifier with balanced and Bluetooth inputs. It was sent to me by the company and costs US $177.
AIYIMA A300 Review Stereo Balanced Bluetooth Amplifier TPA3255.jpg

I like that you can easily defeat the tone controls now and select one of three inputs, allowing the amp to replace a pre-amplifier as well.

Especially nice is inclusion of power supply which is a rarity in budget/small amps:

AIYIMA A300 Review Back Panel  Stereo Balanced Bluetooth Amplifier TPA3255.jpg

The speaker terminals are small but typical for the price class.

I could see an aluminum heatsink in the box for the power device/IC. In use though, it never warmed up above room temp. Neither the top, or the bottom registered a temperature rise which is nice.

AIYIMA A300 Measurements
Let's start with unbalanced RCA input first, setting the gain to 29 dB as with other amps I test with adjustable gain:

AIYIMA A300 Measurements Stereo RCA Bluetooth Amplifier TPA3255.png

Switching to balanced we essentially get the same performance:

AIYIMA A300 Measurements Stereo Balanced Amplifier TPA3255.png

That distortion spike at nearly -72 dB limits SINAD to below average:

Best budget amplifier review 2022.png

In fairness and comparison to a few amplifiers with much lower gain, I also tested the amp at 12 dB gain:

AIYIMA A300 Measurements Low Gain Stereo Balanced Amplifier TPA3255.png

A bit better but still not enough to cross the average line. For the rest of the tests, I stuck with XLR input and 29 dB gain.

Here is our SNR:

AIYIMA A300 Measurements SNR Stereo Balanced Amplifier TPA3255.png

These are disappointing numbers relative to what AIYIMA has shown it can do.

Multitone test result is not too bad:

AIYIMA A300 Measurements Multitone Stereo Balanced Amplifier TPA3255.png

Crosstalk is good:
AIYIMA A300 Measurements Crosstalk Stereo Balanced Amplifier TPA3255.png

Frequency response unfortunately shows load dependency:
AIYIMA A300 Measurements Frequency Response  Stereo Balanced Amplifier TPA3255.png

Key here is to see if we can get more power out of this small package and we do:

AIYIMA A300 Measurements Power into 4 ohm Stereo Balanced Amplifier TPA3255.png

Interestingly, we get almost as much with 8 ohm load!
AIYIMA A300 Measurements Power into 8 ohm Stereo Balanced Amplifier TPA3255.png

Back to 4 ohm load, with short bursts we get a lot more power:

AIYIMA A300 Measurements Peak and Max Power into 4 ohm Stereo Balanced Amplifier TPA3255.png

Finally, there is little frequency/power dependency which is very good for a class D amplifier:

AIYIMA A300 Measurements Power into 4 ohm vs frequency vs distortion Stereo Balanced Amplifier...png

Warm Up Time Measurement
Amplifier stabilizes quickly:

AIYIMA A300 Measurements Warm up Stereo Balanced Amplifier TPA3255.png

Conclusions
It would have been great if the A300 had followed the footsteps of previous AIYIMA amps but with more power. Alas, it delivers on more power at the expense of noise and distortion. Assuming you don't hear the noise, it may be the right trade off in a budget amplifier. On packaging, I really like the integrated box with XLR inputs. Amplifier power supplies can be huge and that is avoided here.

I am personally snobbish and want my power with low noise and distortion so can't recommend the AIYIMA A300. But your priorities may be different.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

PeteL

Major Contributor
You used to do ultrasonic performance for class D amps, as it been forgotten or just not of matter in this case?

respice finem

Major Contributor
This is a review and detailed measurements of the AIYIMA A300 stereo amplifier with balanced and Bluetooth inputs. It was sent to me by the company and costs US $177.
View attachment 186955
I like that you can easily defeat the tone controls now and select one of three inputs, allowing the amp to replace a pre-amplifier as well.

Especially nice is inclusion of power supply which is a rarity in budget/small amps:

View attachment 186956

I could see an aluminum heatsink in the box for the power device/IC. In use though, it never warmed up above room temp. Neither the top, or the bottom registered a temperature rise which is nice.

AIYIMA A300 Measurements
Let's start with unbalanced RCA input first, setting the gain to 29 dB as with other amps I test with adjustable gain:

View attachment 186957

View attachment 186958

View attachment 186959

In fairness and comparison to a few amplifiers with much lower gain, I also tested the amp at 12 dB gain:

View attachment 186960

A bit better but still not enough to cross the average line. For the rest of the tests, I stuck with XLR input and 29 dB gain.

Here is our SNR:

View attachment 186961

View attachment 186962

Crosstalk is good:
View attachment 186963

View attachment 186964

Key here is to see if we can get more power out of this small package and we do:

View attachment 186965

View attachment 186966

View attachment 186967

Finally, there is little frequency/power dependency which is very good for a class D amplifier:

View attachment 186968

Warm Up Time Measurement

View attachment 186969

Conclusions
It would have been great if the A300 had followed the footsteps of previous AIYIMA amps but with more power. Alas, it delivers on more power at the expense of noise and distortion. Assuming you don't hear the noise, it may be the right trade off in a budget amplifier. On packaging, I really like the integrated box with XLR inputs. Amplifier power supplies can be huge and that is avoided here.

I am personally snobbish and want my power with low noise and distortion so can't recommend the AIYIMA A300. But your priorities may be different.

-----------

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
Way too expensive for how it performs and its features.
If I needed an amp like this, I would forsake the XLR and get the Loxjie https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/loxjie-a30-amplifier-review.17547/

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the review.

Kind of meh results. Literally no headroom between 8 and 4Ω... I guess this will work terrible under lower impedances.
I would forsake the XLR and get the Loxjie
And get some integrated DAC this way... There is effectively no point for XLR inputs at this price and performance.

Last edited:

whazzup

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Can the treble and bass controls be plotted as well? Will be good to know how extensive the influence is.

Tangband

Major Contributor
View attachment 186955

View attachment 186956

AIYIMA A300 Measurements

View attachment 186957

View attachment 186958

View attachment 186959

View attachment 186960

Here is our SNR:

View attachment 186961

View attachment 186962

Crosstalk is good:
View attachment 186963

View attachment 186964

View attachment 186965

View attachment 186966

View attachment 186967

View attachment 186968

Warm Up Time Measurement

View attachment 186969

Conclusions

-----------

This seems to be an amplifier with tpa 3255 chip inside. This chip can be driven in true balanced mode. The performance probably suffers because of the inbuilt powersupply in a very small box.
If one ignores the switched powersupply spike at 2 kHz (?) it would be a SINAD of 98 or maybe better ? What do you think about this ?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
You used to do ultrasonic performance for class D amps, as it been forgotten or just not of matter in this case?
I used to run the FFT to see the switching frequency. Not sure how useful it is so I don't always run it.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If one ignores the powersupply spike it would be a SINAD of 95 or maybe better ? What do you think about this ?
There is a second harmonic in the 70s so you can't get better than that.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Can the treble and bass controls be plotted as well? Will be good to know how extensive the influence is.
They are analog controls without much precision. I have tested them in other variations.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Tangband

Major Contributor
No. The Noise floor is also too high. Not to mention 2nd harmonic.

How do you dissociate an amp performance from its PSU anyway?
It might not be a very good idea with inbuilt powersupply in a very small box ? The Aiyima a07 measures better regarding sinad, uses the same tpa3255 and it dont have an inbuilt power supply.

whazzup

They are analog controls without much precision. I have tested them in other variations.
Thanks.
I did a quick search but couldn't find the review in which you tested the tone controls. If you remember which amplifier it was will be great. If not it's fine.

*If anyone else can recall the amplifier that had their tone controls tested, do let me know, thanks!

Last edited:

respice finem

Major Contributor
That has half the power though.
Which really matters in typical applications of such a mini-amp? I doubt it, honestly.
At the desktop, or in a TV or a small room stereo setup, probably 10 watts per channel will be more than "loud enough" - and if not, there's a subwoofer output.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Why do some people jump into almost every review thread and harass Amir about whether this was tested or that was tested? Just be happy that someone has taken the time to test anything for you, for free and show some gratitude.

JSmith

whazzup

Why do some people jump into almost every review thread and harass Amir about whether this was tested or that was tested? Just be happy that someone has taken the time to test anything for you, for free and show some gratitude.

JSmith
If you are talking about my asking about the tone controls a few posts up, I'm sorry you feel so triggered.
But equating my question with me not having gratitude for the reviews is way off base.

Amir didn't test them, so I asked. He replied, and that's about it. No one is taking things for granted here, nor am I demanding anything from him.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Me I find this a nice set of features and decent power at a very cheap price. Probably sound OK for most. What surprises me tough is that the company would send that in for testing. They should really know by now the high standards expected here and that they would have got a poor review? Unless they are so small that they can’t afford measurment equipment but it would surprise me even more, they must be selling tons of these things.

JSmith

Master Contributor
If you are talking about my asking about the tone controls a few posts up, I'm sorry you feel so triggered.
Sorry mate, not specifically you... it seems to be a trend in almost every review thread and it does become rather irksome as the claims are then often used to attempt to negate part of the results. Maybe I have chosen the wrong time and place to raise this, I was also reading some other review threads, it's been a long day. :)

JSmith

respice finem

Major Contributor
...What surprises me tough is that the company would send that in for testing...
Maybe it's more for testing our response than the unit itself?
You can't have market research more cost effective than this way, even if it will be limited to our "bubble".

Top Bottom