• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AIYIMA A09 for 3 way open baffle

Nwickliff

Hello everyone I am still embarking on this open baffle journey. I currently have a passible analog crossover for the Kef Q100 coaxial woofer and tweeter driver in the baffle.

My goal is to actively blend two woofers coming that will arrive Wednesday and be placed on the same baffle.

Eventually I know I will want to pass the lowest octaves to a sub so a sub out would be necessary.

Originally I intended to get a couple of A07’s but I would end up needing line level into subwoofer as opposed to RCA since there is no sub out for that amplifier. Plus I would have two external power supplies that would look messy.

Would be A09 fit the bill? I have not seen any measurements yet.

I am trying to keep cost down as I have already spent more than I probably should have or tinkering around.

I’ll post photos when I get home.

iMickey503

Forum Donor
Secretly? The best part about open baffle is that it's cheap, easy, and not much cabinet work.

OP
N

Nwickliff

UPDATE
https://vimeo.com/700509058/ba147c1f9c

Upgrade the dental floss or no?
Parts were pulled from old builds so had almost no leads left on the xo parts to solder. Going to buy replacement parts but might measure and model in xsim one more time before doing so.

Thinking about single piece of stained wood on the edge of each speaker to help with rigidity as I show they are quite wobbly. Don't see them move when playing the music.

Kef Coax q100 Driver up top and GRS 15" drivers in parallel on the bottom.

Active XO from coaxial to GRS and passive XO from Coaxial Midrage to Coaxial Tweeter.

Pigtail Speaker terminals for the win??? thoughts on that?

I do feel like the top end is missing the detail that my GR Research upgraded Klipsch RP600M's have. AND BOTH HAVE BEEN ACTIVELY EQ'D WITH STEEP ROOM TILT about 1.5 db per octave, so it's not that the treble energy is louder in the Klipsch. Something else is going on.

I'll most measurements in the comments when I head up and measure again today.
https://vimeo.com/700509058/ba147c1...XpgY_grlqZXsVL_zgU163z9QdI8Bc4ZaVl27YgbJXpe0A

SequimJim

Hello everyone I am still embarking on this open baffle journey. I currently have a passible analog crossover for the Kef Q100 coaxial woofer and tweeter driver in the baffle.

My goal is to actively blend two woofers coming that will arrive Wednesday and be placed on the same baffle.

Eventually I know I will want to pass the lowest octaves to a sub so a sub out would be necessary.

Originally I intended to get a couple of A07’s but I would end up needing line level into subwoofer as opposed to RCA since there is no sub out for that amplifier. Plus I would have two external power supplies that would look messy.

Would be A09 fit the bill? I have not seen any measurements yet.

I am trying to keep cost down as I have already spent more than I probably should have or tinkering around.

I’ll post photos when I get home.
I was thinking of getting one (A09). It seems like it would work well if you take the output from a 5.1 sound card to the inputs of the amp. Right now I'm using two A07's and a small BRZHIFI 100 watt mono amp for the center. No sub. Just big speakers. It works great and sounds better than the Denon AV I had that cost $500+ new. The computer does the decoding so if it's not broadcast in surround it's stereo. you can set the levels using the software for the sound card. The A09 would probably sound great. I have a bunch of Aiyima stuff and they are all a good bang for the buck. Jim

Top Bottom