• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AIYIMA A08 Pro Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 3.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 34 14.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 169 71.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 24 10.2%

• Total voters

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
so. We can calculate the power supply voltage when clipping occurs. That way we can see the droop. Use this calc for ease of use and to concentrate on the ideas and not operating a manual calculator.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
now... with the 36VDC 6A power supply.
@ 8 ohm speakers the actual rail voltage from the power supply will be ~29.1VDC @ 3.6Apeak
@ 4 Ohms speakers the rail voltage will be ~24.7VDC @ 6.2A peak.

Kip

FYI, I haven't been able to see the VU meter function when using the Right channel. I can only see it respond to the left.
I do like how it is very responsive.
Please confirm my findings. I have seen this on 2 units.
It might be good to spread the word in case it's a deal breaker for anyone.
It's not a deal breaker for me.

NoxMorbis

FYI, I haven't been able to see the VU meter function when using the Right channel. I can only see it respond to the left.
Can you have one VU connected to two channels? I just contact Aiyima. We'll see what they say. If you have two models that do the same thing, it's probably true.

Kip

Can you have one VU connected to two channels? I just contact Aiyima. We'll see what they say. If you have two models that do the same thing, it's probably true.
I also have the Douk Audio H7 which has a single VU meter. I used the strange separate L and R knobs and verified the VU gauge responds to both sides.
The needle is slow and lethargic compared to the A08 pro which makes me wonder if it is a factor of a trade off somehow.
I am not expecting any of these to be accurate.

NoxMorbis

From Aiyima: "The access of this VU table is only connected to the left channel, because we use the two-channel link, so don't worry, this is not a machine problem, it is the design is like this."

I asked for clarification what he meant by: "because we use the two-channel link." I have no idea what that could mean. However, yes, it is only using the left channel.

NoxMorbis

Aiyima replied: "Only one VU table connection signal can be connected. Therefore, you cannot connect only one VU table connection signal,pls understand it,thanks"

So much for clarification. lol

Zek

Major Contributor
Obviously, the VU-meter serves no purpose and is only there as a decoration.

NoxMorbis

Obviously, the VU-meter serves no purpose and is only there as a decoration.
If I remember correctly, Amir said in the review above that the amp clips right at the VU meter's 0 point.

grogi.giant

If I remember correctly, Amir said in the review above that the amp clips right at the VU meter's 0 point.

The amp will clip at different output levels depending on the power supply used and different speakers impedances...

john11

Have you tried the bluetooth on this amp, there are complaints that bluetooth can be noisy, how does the bluetooth on this amp stand up to your scrutiny, or are cables the only way to go

NoxMorbis

Have you tried the bluetooth on this amp, there are complaints that bluetooth can be noisy, how does the bluetooth on this amp stand up to your scrutiny, or are cables the only way to go
I use it exclusively and my ears don't hear any difference, but that's not what you mean, right? You mean how does it test?

john11

I use it exclusively and my ears don't hear any difference, but that's not what you mean, right? You mean how does it test?
Well...either will do. A subjective opinion would be great. I thought cables were better with more bandwidth, as far as search engine results are concerned, have never compared the two directly myself.
So as far as you are concerned there is no difference between the two, is your audio system sensitive enough to detect
With the cables method i use the hidizs s8 dac which has a good review on this site, with the bluetooth method the sound will be more reliant on the dac within the A08. Is there a chance the cables method may perform better as the dac can be upgraded and with the bluetooth method the dac cannot be upgraded

Last edited:

NoxMorbis

Well...either will do. A subjective opinion would be great. I thought cables were better with more bandwidth, as far as search engine results are concerned, have never compared the two directly myself.
So as far as you are concerned there is no difference between the two, is your audio system sensitive enough to detect
With the cables method i use the hidizs s8 dac which has a good review on this site, with the bluetooth method the sound will be more reliant on the dac within the A08. Is there a chance the cables method may perform better as the dac can be upgraded and with the bluetooth method the dac cannot be upgraded
That's different. Of course a cable will give you a higher bandwidth and no possible BT transmission signal loss. If you want the best the 08 can do, stay wired. If you want the convenience of BT and your own ears cannot hear a difference, go BT. The closer the source is to the sink the better. The longer the distance between the two, the more degraded the signal becomes. Mine is about 10' between the source, which is my computer's Intel AX200 card (which supports aptXHD) and the 08.

All things being equal, you won't hear any difference between wired and BT HD or even simple aptX. From what I have read and what I can hear myself, if you have a really good SBC implementation, and you start with a CD or better quality audio file, you won't hear the difference either. Getting a nice SBC implementation may or may not obtain, though.

john11

May i ask which dac you used when listening to the A08 using cables
Thanks

NoxMorbis

May i ask which dac you used when listening to the A08 using cables
Thanks
I don't. If I did, it would be through my computer's DAC or my Phone's becasue currently I don't have a need for an external DAC.

yoster

Apologies if this has A) already been asked already or B) a stupid question, but does anyone know what DAC is in the A08 Pro? I'm referring to the DAC that would be coupled with the A08's bluetooth receiver (that part might be obvious but trying to get ahead of the 'there's no digital inputs on the A08' comments lol)

yoster

I sure hope this isn't true, as my A08 Pro can hit 0db on that VU meter well before my volume knob even gets to noon. I'm of the belief that it's just a 'fun dancing needle' - if the 0 point comment is true I'm in trouble lol

Top Bottom