• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Aiyima A07 volume issue

boski

Hi everyone,
I've recently bought an Aiyima A07 amplifier. As a source I'm using a Desktop PC with an on-board soundcard from Realtek. Amplifier is connected to the Wharfedale 220 speakers. I don't have to much experience with a variety of different audio equipment but for me it sounds really great. The only issue I've got is that it is not possible to use the volume knob of the amplifier. Even a little bit rotate has really big impact on the loudness. It's not possible (at least for me listening in the near-field) to reach 9 o'clock set. I was trying two different power supplies (48V, 3A and 24V, 5A) - no difference. I have my volume settings on a PC set to 100% (I've read that's it's better to control the volume on the hardware to not degrade the dynamics of the signal). Does anyone who owns mentioned amplifier encountered such an issue? Thanks for your help.

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi everyone,
I've recently bought an Aiyima A07 amplifier. As a source I'm using a Desktop PC with an on-board soundcard from Realtek. Amplifier is connected to the Wharfedale 220 speakers. I don't have to much experience with a variety of different audio equipment but for me it sounds really great. The only issue I've got is that it is not possible to use the volume knob of the amplifier. Even a little bit rotate has really big impact on the loudness. It's not possible (at least for me listening in the near-field) to reach 9 o'clock set. I was trying two different power supplies (48V, 3A and 24V, 5A) - no difference. I have my volume settings on a PC set to 100% (I've read that's it's better to control the volume on the hardware to not degrade the dynamics of the signal). Does anyone who owns mentioned amplifier encountered such an issue? Thanks for your help.
I have the A04 and yeah, while I don't listen near-field I have never had the vol knob above ~11 o'clock. Not a huge problem, unless you've noticed channel imbalance in the range you're forced to use?

Also I wouldn't worry about digital volume too much, just don't have it at 50% or lower. Turn it down to ~80% and if the amp's vol control is more usable then, great.

One option would be to add a pre/headphone amp in between but surely not the most cost-effective solution. Roon has a 64-bit floating point volume control that should have a minimal impact on SQ. Maybe some other music players have something similar. But again a pricy solution if you're not a user to begin with.

OP
B

boski

Thanks for the quick response. I lowered down the volume on a Windows and player ( which is a SqueezePlay connected to LMS server) to 80% but it didn't really help too much. So I've added a preamplification gain with -20dB on EqualizerAPO software and that change a lot. Now I'm able to controlthe volume from 9 to 12 o'clock set.

Toku

Major Contributor
The fundamental problem with the volume change rate of A07 you point out is the adoption of the wrong volume pot.
The volume pot for adjusting the volume of audio equipment must use a taper A logarithmic curve, but most Chinese amplifiers use a taper B linear curve.
Due to this, turning the volume knob a little will make it louder. I've pointed out this mistake many times in the forums, but none of the members question the issue. Audiophiles who can't understand this issue are pathetic.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So I've added a preamplification gain with -20dB on EqualizerAPO software and that change a lot. Now I'm able to controlthe volume from 9 to 12 o'clock set.
That's exactly what I would have suggested. But you could also decrease the Windows volume to 10/100 without hearing any difference in sound quality IMHO. For instance, I listen to AKG K361 with an Audioengine D3 DAC/preamp and Windows volume is between 2 and 6 out of 100 !!

pma

Major Contributor
The fundamental problem with the volume change rate of A07 you point out is the adoption of the wrong volume pot.

No, the main problem is that the amp has too high gain, which is useless. I measured 32.35dB, much more than manufacturer specs. Their specs cannot be trusted, the same for rated power. This thing is rather a toy for beginners.

Toku

Major Contributor
'Pathetic', you say... What about those who understand your point but do not find it worthy 75-page MQA-esque discussion? :)
The reaction of some audiophiles to MQA is very similar to what happened when CDs were born long ago.
I am an engineer who was previously in charge of designing at a Japanese manufacturer. So I don't agree or disagree with the new technology. I think the final judge of whether it is good or bad is made by the user. If it's not good, it will disappear naturally.
I myself am playing MQA files purchased with SMSL M500. In my opinion so far, I don't really feel the need for MQA.

No, the main problem is that the amp has too high gain, which is useless. I measured 32.35dB, much more than manufacturer specs. Their specs cannot be trusted, the same for rated power. This thing is rather a toy for beginners.
I can understand what you say.
The gain problem was really high gain with an amp using the TDA7498E chip, and I had a hard time handling it.
Did Chinese engineers notice it? Recently, it has been gradually improved. Until now, it was just a copy of the chip maker's reference circuit.
The display of output power is due to Chinese business customs and society.
The displayed power simply shows the maximum value stated in the chip data sheet. It doesn't matter if it doesn't actually appear. Such a display is not a problem. All deceived are responsible and bad guys. This is their society.
We have to check the products on that assumption. You need the technical ability to detect those lies. I have paid a high tuition fee so far.

HorizonsEdge

I actually lowered my PC volume to 50% and am pretty happy with the results. Even then I rarely get past 10 on the dial.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
I run at digital out 100% for the most part and am just careful with my amp volume settings. I know that with 24 bit playback, the digital volume control issues are not a big thing... but still tend to set at 100% output for the most part.

gasolin75

I actually lowered my PC volume to 50% and am pretty happy with the results. Even then I rarely get past 10 on the dial.

It changes the bit rate from the pc use attenuators or a a one little bear audio switcher

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
For lower listening levels, the Aiyima A04 amp with a 24v/5a power supply is very good - gives you a lot more low level control.

gasolin75

I have heard the Aiyima A07 sounds better

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
Alternatively, use the A07 amp with a good 24v/4.5a supply. It does give you more range on the volume control. Or, if you have a good passive pre, you can throw that in the chain.

I don't hear a huge amount of SQ difference between the A04 and the A07, but I think overall the A07 is the better value.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
I personally hate putting a tube buffer into a good clean solid state chain, but to each one's own.

D

Deleted member 9685

The volume pot for adjusting the volume of audio equipment must use a taper A logarithmic curve, but most Chinese amplifiers use a taper B linear curve.
Due to this, turning the volume knob a little will make it louder. I've pointed out this mistake many times in the forums, but none of the members question the issue. Audiophiles who can't understand this issue are pathetic.

Which affordable class-d amp do you recommend? I want low noise and low distortion at low output levels, and I want a logarithmic volume pot.

I also want low gain by the amp because I don't want the amp to amplify noise.

bravomail

Thanks for the quick response. I lowered down the volume on a Windows and player ( which is a SqueezePlay connected to LMS server) to 80% but it didn't really help too much. So I've added a preamplification gain with -20dB on EqualizerAPO software and that change a lot. Now I'm able to controlthe volume from 9 to 12 o'clock set.

I'm facing the same issue with volume. But it's not bothering me. I still can set desired level.

Top Bottom