• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Aiyima A07 upgrade to Schiit Vidar

astraone

Hi Currently I have a Aiyima A07, will I be noticing a significant improvement by upgrading to Schiit Vidar?
I am new in this and A07 is my first Amp.
My current setup is Gold planar GL1200 ribbon headphone with its interface box that recommend to use with 100w speaker amps
Dac is Ifi Zen Dac V2.

Currently it is already quite loud for my listening already at close with volume knob at 10-11am, not too sure if by upgrading to Vidar will it improve the bass quality as well.

Thank you so much
IMG_20210615_151102_edit_13063469020922.jpg

IMG_20210626_091004.jpg

Last edited:

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi Currently I have a Aiyima A07, will I be noticing a significant improvement by upgrading to Schiit Vidar?
I am new in this and A07 is my first Amp.
My current setup is Gold planar GL1200 ribbon headphone with its interface box that recommend to use with 100w speaker amps
Dac is Ifi Zen Dac V2.

Currently it is already quite loud for my listening already at close with volume knob at 10-11am, not too sure if by upgrading to Vidar will it improve the bass quality as well.

Thank you so much

from 77w A07 to 20watt Vidar - it's a downgrade.

OP
A

astraone

Thanks guys!
The GL1200 comes with a interface box and was advice to use 100w and above amp.
So the weird thing is this the A7 sounded much more open and defined compared to Vidar. I felt the vidar sounded congested many times. And the difference is quite obvious..

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Will a Jotunheim R work with an adapter?

Seems that might be better than the amp and resistor network box.

archerious

I own a Vidar and after comparing to AO200, I'm selling the Vidar. There is no advantage, only disadvantages.

For starts no volume control on Vidar, you have to use a preamp. Whether that's your DAC or a dedicated preamp.....

Then there is the heat, the Vidar is Class AB and makes serious heat. Literally increased my listening rooms ambient room temperature by 4-5 degrees fahrenheit just having it on for an hour. 24C to 26.67C for those of you in EU. Enough for me to find it noticeable.

Lastly the unit isn't balanced unless you buy two of them, so keep that in mind.

Only reason to buy a Vidar is if you really like it's appearance, have a fetish for Class AB, or want something made in the US (but VTV assembles Hypex amps in the US....)
IMG_7240.jpg

Krz123

I own a Vidar and after comparing to AO200, I'm selling the Vidar. There is no advantage, only disadvantages.

For starts no volume control on Vidar, you have to use a preamp. Whether that's your DAC or a dedicated preamp.....

Then there is the heat, the Vidar is Class AB and makes serious heat. Literally increased my listening rooms ambient room temperature by 4-5 degrees fahrenheit just having it on for an hour. 24C to 26.67C for those of you in EU. Enough for me to find it noticeable.

Lastly the unit isn't balanced unless you buy two of them, so keep that in mind.

Only reason to buy a Vidar is if you really like it's appearance, have a fetish for Class AB, or want something made in the US (but VTV assembles Hypex amps in the US....)View attachment 150855
I’ve been looking for pre-owned Vidars. You’re selling?

desperado915

No, l but I am. It is a nice amp, but just doesn't quite have enough gusto to drive my new Magnepan 1.7i's. I am getting an amp with a lot more power and current and will need to sell. It is lightly used, less than 6 months old. I have all of the original packaging as well.

Top Bottom