• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AIYIMA A07 TPA3255 Tear Down

Honu

Well, I'm happy because the sound is even more pleasant now, it will have been useful to replace all these components. I saw a video on Youtube of "trungdtmc" and therefore changed like him: nichicon FW 10uf 50v x9 --- wima mks4 1uf 100v x4 --- coilcraft OEM inductor 10uH x4 --- I still have the two capacitors of 50V 1200uF to be replaced with nichicon 1000UF 63V FW series but I haven't received them yet. By the way, the power supply used is a MEAN WELL LRS-350-36 Switching Power Supply Module SMPS 36V 9.7A, no background noise, no hiss, and the whole thing does not heat up at all. Long hours of listening to music are coming..... I also have a very good Dual AK4499 DAC with SparkosLabs SS2590 PRO AOP, so a very clean audio signal to enter the Aiyima A07. Goodbye. Next step: put the whole thing in a nice diy box (wood / metal).

View attachment 257153

No thanks ... :oops:, for maybe no differences at all ... it more look like what people do to their car to get 1 more horsepower and destroy the whole equilibrium of the system.
If it suit you it's perfect, but i know it would not suit me and since all this is very subjective ... till you got the proper tools to get real scientific number out of the changes, it looks like a no go.

John4949

Hello, it's true that I had no choice but to solder the Inductors from the bottom of the board, because this was just too big to be soldered next to the other components on top. In any case, this is hardly important because the whole will be put in a larger box with the power supply. I tried another AOP yesterday but I'm not very convinced (TLE2142CP), for the moment I prefer the one that is in place: "OPA1612A". I will try "OPA1656IDR" soon too. I listened several times before/after modifying the Aiyima A07 and I can tell you that it's really better. Here, see you later.

Gaspar74

Well my A07 board is toast, Does anyone know what the part is labeled SS310? Diode maybe? Its detached from PCb ad attempt to fix it mader it worse. This boards seen better days for mayn reasons. Waitning on a different TPA3255 board ebay cheapo. I do like some of those dual chip models however no one ins the US carries them thatI can see.

Roland68

Major Contributor
aliexpress.com
If you want to do serious tuning, you should at least buy the parts that can be counterfeited (ICs, transistors, all kinds of capacitors, etc.) only from official sources. Otherwise you're wasting your time and the circuit board won't get any better if you repeatedly solder and unsolder parts.
I once measured all the capacitors that came with kits from Aliexpress etc and the capacitors I ordered there for fun and curiosity and less than 10% of the readings were true or just within specification.
From the official distributors, the measured values exceed the specifications, often even significantly.

It could be that the capacitors installed by AIYIMA were better than the ones you soldered in now.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Well my A07 board is toast, Does anyone know what the part is labeled SS310? Diode maybe? Its detached from PCb ad attempt to fix it mader it worse. This boards seen better days for mayn reasons. Waitning on a different TPA3255 board ebay cheapo. I do like some of those dual chip models however no one ins the US carries them thatI can see.
Probably a Schottky diode, 100V, 1 or 3A, SMA

Honu

If you want to do serious tuning, you should at least buy the parts that can be counterfeited (ICs, transistors, all kinds of capacitors, etc.) only from official sources. Otherwise you're wasting your time and the circuit board won't get any better if you repeatedly solder and unsolder parts.
I once measured all the capacitors that came with kits from Aliexpress etc and the capacitors I ordered there for fun and curiosity and less than 10% of the readings were true or just within specification.
From the official distributors, the measured values exceed the specifications, often even significantly.

It could be that the capacitors installed by AIYIMA were better than the ones you soldered in now.
There is officials sellers on Ali and recognised good sellers.

Roland68

Major Contributor
There is officials sellers on Ali and recognised good sellers.
How does the buyer on Aliexpress know which seller is reliable and reputable?

Alexander_MX

Hello, long time lurker here.

I am planning on "upgrading" my system. What I want to do is get a 4 way setup with my subwoofers. My main speakers are 3-way passives (Braun L710). I want to tri-amp these. My music source is a PC, and USB input DAC's that support 8+ channels (Motu Ultralite MK5, Topping DM7 for example) seem to only come in a balanced fashion.

From skimming over the Aiyima A07 general schematics, and the TPA3255 chip itself, it seems it does support balanced input? I just have to skip the whole Opamp section which seems to be just there to convert unbalanced to balanced for the TPA3255? And therefore wire the outputs of the DAC to the TPA3255 with a minimum amount of components in between? Is this assessment correct?

Honu

How does the buyer on Aliexpress know which seller is reliable and reputable?
Experience, like on eBay... after a certain amount of time you spot bad sellers.... bad stats, bad comments, price far too low vs average price are some examples on what to look at.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Experience, like on eBay... after a certain amount of time you spot bad sellers.... bad stats, bad comments, price far too low vs average price are some examples on what to look at.
That's exactly the problem, on Aliexpress such reviews are often deleted or not even activated (this has happened to me several times, so no hearsay).
But in the last 2 years I have received fakes even from previously reliable dealers. This may be due to the increased prices and the shortage of components, but it does not make the situation any better for the buyer.
If components on Aliexpress are (significantly) cheaper than the prices for 100 or 1000 pieces from the official distributors, these buyers should turn their heads. Nobody gives their stuff away and someone would have to pay the difference...

If you are not able to identify components as genuine yourself (measurement technology), you should only buy from official sources. You not only waste your money, but above all your time, for example when rolling op amps. And what's the point if you don't even know what you're testing?

trungdtmc

Well, I'm happy because the sound is even more pleasant now, it will have been useful to replace all these components. I saw a video on Youtube of "trungdtmc" and therefore changed like him: nichicon FW 10uf 50v x9 --- wima mks4 1uf 100v x4 --- coilcraft OEM inductor 10uH x4 --- I still have the two capacitors of 50V 1200uF to be replaced with nichicon 1000UF 63V FW series but I haven't received them yet. By the way, the power supply used is a MEAN WELL LRS-350-36 Switching Power Supply Module SMPS 36V 9.7A, no background noise, no hiss, and the whole thing does not heat up at all. Long hours of listening to music are coming..... I also have a very good Dual AK4499 DAC with SparkosLabs SS2590 PRO AOP, so a very clean audio signal to enter the Aiyima A07. Goodbye. Next step: put the whole thing in a nice diy box (wood / metal).

View attachment 257151
View attachment 257152
View attachment 257153
View attachment 257154
View attachment 257155
I am going to add pffb to a07, there will be a slight change in the value of the component because a07 works at 600khz, not 450khz like in TI's documentation
unnamed.jpg

Beng

No thanks ... :oops:, for maybe no differences at all ... it more look like what people do to their car to get 1 more horsepower and destroy the whole equilibrium of the system.
If it suit you it's perfect, but i know it would not suit me and since all this is very subjective ... till you got the proper tools to get real scientific number out of the changes, it looks like a no go.
to fix the capacitor problem, DA distortion in coupling caps, you can do two things. The problem of capacitors with memory, they don't fully discharge quickly. You can go with polypro or other low DA dielectric or you can make the capacitor much larger, shift the cutoff lower so the voltage across the cap remains nearly constant. This does not work for filters. Doug Self documented this. I misread your comment. You were talking about the caps on the output which matter, not sure how much. The input caps still need attention.

Last edited:

Beng

Key spec for the 1uf caps on the output. The 1uf resonance is ~600khz. if the switching freq is 600khz this help give a deep null at the switching freq. Ten years ago I designed a 10mhz switcher and we stumbled on this.

Attachments

• cap_inpeadance.JPG
    cap_inpeadance.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 54

carlmart

He suggested to use this with 32v 5a, but guess I'll have to take the risk coz 48v 5A sounds more powerful and aiyima page recommends even 48v 7.5a. I'll keep an eye for 44v 7.5A though.

Damn, using 48v5a, 10 oclock volume and the heat went up to 40.0 °C. Guess I'll have to stick to 32v5a
Yes, I think the main problem with 48v PS is the small sized heatsink. Not much space left, just a few cm, to replace with a longer one. Is there one with same width and more fins?

Joe Smith

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I put a narrow thermal pad into my A07 to connect the heatsink with the case top. Seems to work well to dissipate a bit more heat via the case. Worth doing perhaps if you are pushing the amp with the beefier power supplies.

carlmart

I put a narrow thermal pad into my A07 to connect the heatsink with the case top. Seems to work well to dissipate a bit more heat via the case. Worth doing perhaps if you are pushing the amp with the beefier power supplies.
Why not put a thermal pad the whole size of the heatsink? Or try to squeeze in a side little fan? Though those might be noisy at high speed.

Top Bottom