• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AIYIMA A07 TPA3255 Review (Amplifier)

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Yea it is Indo. I'm also curious myself what kind of speakers are those, probably for outdoor/stage, most outdoor sound systems connectors are different using XLR for interconnects, so I guess they use different connectors too for the speakers.

Anyway, I found Sony speakers from an old Compo (vcd era) in my storage and pair it with Aiyima A07, and wow it sounds more powerful than my 6.5 inch bookshelf speakers. I kinda miss big speakers, using bookshelf speakers for so long, even with subwoofer, it's different from big speakers.

Here's how the speakers look like.
sony_lbt_lv100av_1615990973_eb929e5f_progressive.jpg

I guess so, everything is different, even the interconnect is using XLR, and there's CH like car audio.

Ah I see, must be it.

jst

Lol that's overkill. 2 18" sub. And the total watt is like thousands.

Aiyima A07 with only 32v 5A is kinda loud enough and from Amir measurement, that's only 50-77watt. I guess 100 watt is sufficient for normal room, won't bother family members much less neighbors.

=====

How about something like this ? This is probably vintage speakers, can't find any info and sound demo on youtube
The watt is quite powerful at 190, probably have to use 48v 10A for this ? The speaker is quite heavy at 25kg each

Speaker Tamon LX 200 Digital
3 way speaker system
190 watt @8ohm

4306289_2a73021d-3b10-47a9-9cf6-eba4a323f4a3_1440_1440

jst

I use more or less generic industrial PSUs from AliExpress or eBay sellers and shunt an extra 1000uF filter capacitor across the V+/V- terminals. If a PSU's fan isn't thermostatically controlled, I just remove the fan entirely -- in normal use, the A07's current demand isn't steady enough for the PSU to require fan-assisted cooling, even at high volumes.
Could you post a picture of your PSU ? with that part you modded.
Is it safe to use ? I mean no worrying heat coming out from either the psu or the amp, and do you use it heavily ?

(I use 32v 5a black brick psu and everything is fine, I leave it on from the moment I wake up till the time I sleep, been like that a few days now and the amp and psu is not even hot only warm. Sometimes give it a rest and use Promedia 2.1 for one or two hours.)

And what speakers do you use ?

Last edited:

jst

Why not get something where you know what you get?
I am. Using it with Sony compo speakers as of now. I'm just curious how powerful this Aiyima can be pushed further, maybe upgrading the adapter and using higher watt speakers. 48v*7A is like 300 watt more or less (per ch or left+right?)

Amirm's measurement 50-77 watt, is it per channel or both left/right ?

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Dont think the aiyima would do this long before it would go into thermal protection

jst

Better try to find higher sensitivity speakers instead.

Per channel.

Total, max power it can deliver.
So using 32v with 5A theoretically = 160watt, divided by 2 = 80 watt, Amirm measurement 50-77 watt, so that's more or less close enough

Total from 48x7 more orless 300 watt, so 150 per ch.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Speakon is the usual speaker connector for pro audio, and from a technical performance point of view it should be more common in hifi. Benchmark claim measurably lower distortion than is common with spade lugs, bare wire or non-locking banana plugs

The connector is fine for pro-audio where security of connection is paramount. As a domestic and universally compatible connector, it is truly horrible.

You could always go one step further and order your amplifier from Benchmark with ultrasonically welded speaker cable of a perfect length already attached...

Yasser 06

I tested it against my Boxem arthur and this little budget amp did very well, it is only on baroque music with a lot of continuous bass, very fast violins + harpsichord and flute oboe that it got into problems, but even then the Boxem has issues. I returned it since 4 amps is too much but i will probably but one back later, or one of its successor.

For 80 euros (VTA included) it seems hard to beat.

Only issues are : super tiny terminal, power supply that is warm even when the amp is off, static electricity on the case.

Otherwise the build is really good, and it is very very small, smaller than a FX audi x6 mk2.

MarkWinston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There is a saying here all good amps will sound the same when volume matched under clipping levels. How does this A07 rate in that sense? How neutral and truthful is this amp? Bluntly put, would it sound exactly like a good 120000 dollar amp under clipping levels when volume matched?

Raindog123

Major Contributor
Bluntly put, would it sound exactly like a good 120000 dollar amp under clipping levels when volume matched?

It would... with most speakers.

Some folks here like to point out that some "complex load" (2- or 3-way) speakers might/would lead to a non-linear FR (frequency response) -- usually to a slight higher-frequencies increase. However (a) again, the effect is not audible on most speakers and (b) it can be easily compensated by a simple equalizer.

MarkWinston

It would... with most speakers.

Some folks here like to point out that some "complex load" (2- or 3-way) speakers might/would lead to a non-linear FR (frequency response) -- usually to a slight higher-frequencies increase. However (a) again, the effect is not audible on most speakers and (b) it can be easily compensated by a simple equalizer.
So what you are saying here is the A07 is uncoloured, neutral and doesnt have its own sound signature that is intentionally embedded in by the manufacturer?

Raindog123

Major Contributor
So what you are saying here is the A07 is uncoloured, neutral and doesnt have its own sound signature that is intentionally embedded in by the manufacturer?

Yes. Moreover, I do believe that (maybe with an exception of a few tube amplifiers) no manufacturer intentionally embeds audible “signature” in their products. Some designs just happen to have such signature, usually due to design flaws (or cost-saving) — non-linearities, distortions, inadequate power, and such.

An A07 has one one of those — the lack of post-output-filter feedback. But — based on a great highly integrated [TI] chip and good reference design — it is pretty flawless otherwise, assuming a decent power supply. And for the [rare-case] speakers that might need it, the non-linear FR is correctable by an EQ.

MarkWinston

Yes. Moreover, I do believe that (maybe with an exception of a few tube amplifiers) no manufacturer intentionally embeds audible “signature” in their products. Some designs just happen to have such signature, usually due to design flaws (or cost-saving) — non-linearities, distortions, inadequate power, and such.

An A07 has one one of those — the lack of post-output-filter feedback. But — based on a great highly integrated [TI] chip and good reference design — it is pretty flawless otherwise, assuming a decent power supply. And for the [rare-case] speakers that might need it, the non-linear FR is correctable by an EQ.

I cant say that for many budget amps, as they all have their own embedded in sound signature. Take NAD C316BEE V2 and Cambridge AXA35 for instance, they both clearly have their own sound signatures and I dont know which one is coloured (or both). As I go higher, the differences bstween amps become less to none, but not in the budget category. Manufacturers seem to leave their signature sound on their products, especially the lower end ones, as they do with speakers, which is screwed up.

I own the A07 and SMSL DA-9 and I can tell you that both sound different, no matter I try to match them volume wise (not professionally though, it isnt easy to do a proper abx test at home when you havent got the right equipment). I cant see how in this blue world, no matter how hard I try, do the DA-9 and A07 sound the same. One or both are coloured. The question now burning in me is which one is isnt accurate (or again, both). I also have a TPA3116 amp (A03) and that sounds near identical to the A07. What graphs would show an amp sounding different or deviates from being neutral?

Last edited:

Yasser 06

The best class D amp under the 100.

Be careful with youtube professionals, cheapaudioman is certainly nice and funny, he probably started genuinely willing to share some of his experiences, and his way of mocking people with sponsor his entertaining. But since he started he became a pro and release his daily video about a "new" , "fantastic" product. Anyway at least he can try stuff even if what he reports is quite straightforward, his opinion is not really better than the one of a random joe. Of course it has a merit, it exists. Like for most youtuber his videos could be compressed to 30 second ones if we were to keep the informative and objective part but of course they would then be boring.

Anyway in this case he is quite right, this amp does a single thing at quite a low price and it does it well. The A07, it is not as good as a 1000 dollar amp but it does pretty well, and it is much much better than a 40-60 dollar class D.

I cannot be more precise, since i could not do A/B testing since i m missing a switch and even less blind testing with equalized volume. And by the way note that almost none of the youtube professional advertisers do this. I actually found one channel in which the author used a switch but he was not really mainstream and had few videod and many were negative.Cheapaudio man is certainly on the good side of the avertising industry, I believe he actually test listen and compare somewhat serioulsy (may be i m naive). In french we have horrible and popular people who "test" 100 products per month, simply read the PR release from the company and just test the device 5mn before the video. Cheapaudioman and some other are much better, but they should not be taken as oracles,

bramsat

Thanks Yasser,i wil test the aiyima A07 next week against my audio cambridge cxa61....the A07 cost 50 euro+20 euro 32v 5A poweradapter also

from aiyima...within 2 or 3 weeks i send here my review.......sorry for me bad english;)

Top Bottom