• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AIYIMA A07 TPA3255 Review (Amplifier)

D

Deleted member 9685

Which power supply should I pair with AIYIMA A07? I want to increase SNR by pairing AIYIMA A07 with a better power supply.

Last edited by a moderator:

jaatre

I'd rather have a pure power amp. I have a preamp that's 3x the price of this amp that I'd rather use.
The Sabaj that's mentioned is a pure power amp.. unless your definition of a pure power amp is something else! :)

AllenW

The Sabaj that's mentioned is a pure power amp.. unless your definition of a pure power amp is something else! :)
Maybe I was looking at the wrong thing. The one I looked at had a volume knob.

jaatre

Maybe I was looking at the wrong thing. The one I looked at had a volume knob.
I get your point. The Sabaj indeed has a volume knob as does the aiyima a07..

If you want to control volume only at the source/dac/preamp, you can look at hypex nc252 based amps from Buckeye or VTV

AllenW

Aren't the hypex based amps very expensive? I was thinking if the switching power supply was the limiting factor with the amp in question would the one I referenced be a good choice? Being it has a linear power supply. Really what I'm asking is, is the chip good enough to justify spending the money on the unit I posted.

conuss

If you are not embarrassed that when you turn it on, the torus will hum and vibrate a little. Yes, when listening to it you will not hear it, but I use devices where transformers are not heard AT ALL. Here, however, such a probability is high, and the torus is not covered with an anti-noise cap. I agree that a torus of proper quality is more expensive, but I would prefer to have a decent one.

AllenW

If you are not embarrassed that when you turn it on, the torus will hum and vibrate a little. Yes, when listening to it you will not hear it, but I use devices where transformers are not heard AT ALL. Here, however, such a probability is high, and the torus is not covered with an anti-noise cap. I agree that a torus of proper quality is more expensive, but I would prefer to have a decent one.
i have had many budget amps and preamps with the same power supply as this has and none of them have vibrated or made any noise. The only amp I've ever heard hum was an H/K citation 12 amp and after replacing all the electrolytics and rectifiers it stopped. In fact I'm running a pair of these: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001658953990.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.39644c4d1jvnkk on my desktop. They are excellent sounding and dead quiet.

Last edited:

googoogaga

Aren't the hypex based amps very expensive? I was thinking if the switching power supply was the limiting factor with the amp in question would the one I referenced be a good choice? Being it has a linear power supply. Really what I'm asking is, is the chip good enough to justify spending the money on the unit I posted.
I think the hypex 252mp from buckeye aren't that much more expensive than some of the options you are considering. Especially considering you have already dropped a $300 on the preamp.
IMHO, (based only on specs and reading up), tpa3255 provides diminishing returns as you go above the $100 to $150 price range. If your budget is there, then better to spend a little extra for the next significant step up - ie Hypex.

AllenW

I think the hypex 252mp from buckeye aren't that much more expensive than some of the options you are considering. Especially considering you have already dropped a $300 on the preamp.
IMHO, (based only on specs and reading up), tpa3255 provides diminishing returns as you go above the $100 to $150 price range. If your budget is there, then better to spend a little extra for the next significant step up - ie Hypex.
I may have spent a little more on the preamp. It's a gustard P26 with 2 burson v6 vivid opamps. I also have a topping pre90 but it doesn't hold a Candle to the gustard.

jaatre

I think Buckeye amps are good value for money and the nc252 will give you decent power of about 150wpc into 8ohms.. while it is more money that what the Aiyima is sold for, but you'll be worrying less :)

sefril

II swapped the cable on the speaker and yes, the unbalanced sound still exists. This time the lower volume on the right goes to the left.
I have to check in my storage for my old amp though, still haven’t check with other amp.
Here’s the update.. it turns out that my A07 potentiometer is defect. When i took it to the repairman and he test it, the potentiometer is 50K on one channel and 70K on the other channel. No wonder it sounds unbalance. I change it with Alps potentiometer (the cheap one but have the same size, RK097) and it’s working fine. Only the knob is slightly different, i have to search for the same size as RK097.

now that i finally test the sound of A07, compared to my custom order class AB gainclone LM3886 amplifier with toroidal transformer, well it performs great. Considered the size (only 1/10 lol) and of course the price. I think A07 only lack the detail when it played the “complex” songs with many instruments and sounds. There’s no lack of power though, listening at near speaker with 1,5 meter distance, i only need the volume at roughly 9-10 o’clock (can’t be precise, still doesn’t have the volume knob lol).

*subjective comparation, i don’t have tools nor golden ears to compare it.. ;)

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Which power supply should I pair with AIYIMA A07? I want to increase SNR by pairing AIYIMA A07 with a better power supply.

Judging from 32V and 48V test results - lower voltage, higher ampreage will produce least noise. You can mod cheap power supply by adding large electrolyte capacitor between + and - wires of DC. It will greatly reduce any 60 Hz modulation. I'm using caged power supply 24V 10A (akin to Meanwell) and 2.5mm-5.5mm ps plug. It is very loud with it.

bravomail

Quick subjective review of A07.
Bought one from Amazon without power supply, as I had one laying around from Alientek D8 days. I'm using caged power supply 24V 10A (akin to Meanwell) and 2.5mm-5.5mm ps plug. It is very loud with it. And runs very cool. Close to room temperature.
Sound is loud and punchy as opposed to my Yamaha 683 AVR (where it is soft and muddy). My speakers are Elac Debut B6 (very first gen), which I got on Zeus advice. I thinking about replacing them with JBL A130 or A170. I also have a Monoprice 12" subwoofer.
I drive A07 from Topping L30 DAC in DAC mode. I tried Topping E30 in Pre mode as well - but didn't like the sound immediately, some coloring or distortion was added (not ground loop), not sure why.
Some note on room correction or lack thereof in A07 - when sitting far away to the side from home theater the sound became boomy. Not so with Yamaha 683 AVR with it single point YPAO settting - I have cheaper AVR which only measures single point.
Time to learn REW? :)
The issues I have now - separate volume settings in amp and subwoofer, both without remote control, need a lot of running. Room correction and speaker EQ - will be solved in PC, but not on Wii or Amazon Fire TV. You cannot have everything at this price point I guess.

bravomail

If distortion is audible in usual listening conditions, something is wrong.

Could be combination of input-output impedance mismatch, over/under-voltage of audio signal, but the highs disappeared, sound became "rolled off".
straight DAC to AMP - no issues.
DAC -> E30 in Pre -> AMP - issues.

AudioArchitech

Has anyone tried the new Aiyima A08 and Aiyima T6 Pro (w/ GE or other tubes) combo ? Thinking on going this route.

AudioArchitech

Picked up Aiyima A08, not bad at all, pretty impressive for the price. Would like to try some different Op amps. A08 needs 3 op amps so ruled out the Burson V6 vivid due to cost. Any recommendations for the next bests? The stock op amps are NE5532P (x3)

Top Bottom