• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AIYIMA A07 TPA3255 Review (Amplifier)

Naastradamus

That the sound turns from harsh and terrible fatiguing to wonderful and non-fatiguing with this change is seriously strange. How loud are you listening that the 77 Watts/4Ohms with the 32V 5A power supply of the A07 are not enough? What if you listen to lower volumes. Still the same difference?
I agree entirely that it was strange and unexpected. The harsh/fatiguing sound was present regardless of listening level. Ultimately, I'm now quite satisfied the A07 (with the beefier PSU). I'm running it as external power amplifier for the ELACs using my AVR pre-outs, along with a small tube amplifier in between (tube buffer). Each component is low cost, but working together they are achieving great things.

googoogaga

I agree entirely that it was strange and unexpected. The harsh/fatiguing sound was present regardless of listening level. Ultimately, I'm now quite satisfied the A07 (with the beefier PSU). I'm running it as external power amplifier for the ELACs using my AVR pre-outs, along with a small tube amplifier in between (tube buffer). Each component is low cost, but working together they are achieving great things.
Did you test the stock power adapter without the tube buffer in-between. The tube buffers have very low output impedance

Naastradamus

Did you test the stock power adapter without the tube buffer in-between. The tube buffers decrease the output impedance
Yes, all of my listening/testing was done without the tube buffer in place. The buffer was only added after the new PSU was added and I'd already heard the sound improve dramatically. One consideration I can't wrap my head around is whether this was all the result of "weak" output from my AVR pre-outs. Based on how my AVR adjusts speaker levels after calibration seems to indicate those pre-outs are not very strong/loud. Perhaps this is a key component to my experience, but I truly have no idea how to test that theory.

Geezerman

Kinda reminds of some years ago that I was just sure I preferred a certain amp over another. So, I used a Woods speaker selector box that can switch between speakers and amps and had someone switch back and forth. I was not able to accurately say which was which.

robertospeed

Aiyima has created another good amplifier, for me better than aiyima a07 that I have previously owned with a power supply at 48v 7.3a, this is the new Aiyima d03, made it play with my q acoustic 3050i and sounds really very well, I don't scream like A07, the D03 has a clean and full-bodied sound, full of low and medium sharp and clean. The strange thing I noticed is that it has a 32V 5A power supply and sounds with more power of Aiyima A07 with feeder 48V 7.3A, the features you can see them on the Aliexpress site: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002841621855.html
IMG_20210807_171018.jpg
IMG_20210807_171720.jpg

Ralferator

Since it seems to happen at all listening levels, it can't be the amount of power. There must be something else wrong.

datrumole

ok, since i cannot find a single actual measurement after searching this thread

does anyone know if the 48V 3A adapter that is commonly found ACTUALLY power limits the A07? or are we hitting the internal limiter of the unit at 61W, meaning that even going to a 7.3A module that you'd actually get any additional power out of the A07

all i've seen is speculative posts on the topic

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
ok, since i cannot find a single actual measurement after searching this thread

does anyone know if the 48V 3A adapter that is commonly found ACTUALLY power limits the A07? or are we hitting the internal limiter of the unit at 61W, meaning that even going to a 7.3A module that you'd actually get any additional power out of the A07

all i've seen is speculative posts on the topic
This is a thread by @pma (I think this is the correct one) where he measured with much better power supplies. There are limits, but 61w was not it.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s-and-review-lm4562-and-opa2134-option.19155/

datrumole

This is a thread by @pma (I think this is the correct one) where he measured with much better power supplies. There are limits, but 61w was not it.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s-and-review-lm4562-and-opa2134-option.19155/

thanks, unfortunately all 4ohm measurements, and i should have specified above about wanting to know if the 3A used in Amirs 48V test was 'current' limited for the 8ohm measurements (as i have 8ohm speakers)

meaning if going to a 48V 7.3A PSU, that you'd exceed the 61W@8ohm measured by Amir with the 48V 3A

however, after reviewing that thread, a lot of folks have said to avoid 48V entirely, something like 42-45V would be more appropriate to keep heat down. i know jlesterp recommends 45V for his tpa3255 boards likely for the same reason

MarkWinston

Screenshot_20210811-204519_YouTube.jpg
This is supposedly the upgraded version of the A07. Anyone know anything about this? Screenshot taken from Aiyima Audio on Youtube. Looks great, has bluetooth and tone controls too!

0siris

Hello guys. I'm starting my first stereo system with some national 8 Ohm and 89 dB SPL speakers. I initially consider using them in my small room of 9.5 m². Would A07 powered with standard PS of 32V 5A be adequate? Should I worry about something?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company

Joe Smith

Hello guys. I'm starting my first stereo system with some national 8 Ohm and 89 dB SPL speakers. I initially consider using them in my small room of 9.5 m². Would A07 powered with standard PS of 32V 5A be adequate? Should I worry about something?
I think you'll be fine, I have experienced no problems with their standard 32v/5a switching supply. In my small room it's currently in, I rarely have the volume knob past the 10 o'clock position, currently using with a pair of pretty efficient KEF Coda 7 speakers (those are 6 ohms, I believe). I think these amps do sound their best at low to medium volume levels. If you want to use normally at very loud volumes, you might want to get something more robust.

The current production Aiyima A04 amp though does not get very loud, even with the 32v/5a supply. I'm using that one in my dining room with a 24v/4.5a supply and it's a good match for that use.

thetrystero

Will there be any audible difference between this and the nc252mp (Hypex) module from audiophonics? I'm looking for something to drive the elac dbr 62

datrumole

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
thanks, unfortunately all 4ohm measurements, and i should have specified above about wanting to know if the 3A used in Amirs 48V test was 'current' limited for the 8ohm measurements (as i have 8ohm speakers)

meaning if going to a 48V 7.3A PSU, that you'd exceed the 61W@8ohm measured by Amir with the 48V 3A

however, after reviewing that thread, a lot of folks have said to avoid 48V entirely, something like 42-45V would be more appropriate to keep heat down. i know jlesterp recommends 45V for his tpa3255 boards likely for the same reason

I'm runing 48V with barely any heat.

Top Bottom