• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AIYIMA A07 TPA3255 Review (Amplifier)

robertospeed

Attachments

• cable.jpg
    cable.jpg
    420.3 KB · Views: 197
Anyone know if this power supply would work with Aiyima A07? I'm waiting on the 36v one but would like to test it out in the meantime. I don't understand this ac/dc stuff, amp says DC only.
psu.png

Zek

Major Contributor
That power supply has only 19.5V DC and max 3.33A, which it is not enough to drive A07.

But regarding AC/DC matter. Would it work? Because on amplifier it says DC only and the power supply says its AC power supply.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
and the power supply says its AC power supply.

Someone didn't attend physics classes in high school there is no such thing as an AC power supply, it's definitely a DC power supply.

the voltage control for the A07 triggers below 19V so you might just get it to work. don't expect amazing dynamics and great performance.

Someone didn't attend physics classes in high school there is no such thing as an AC power supply, it's definitely a DC power supply.

the voltage control for the A07 triggers below 19V so you might just get it to work. don't expect amazing dynamics and great performance.

Oh right sorry, it says AC adapter on the picture. I'm not sure what's the difference between an adapter and a power supply though.

tomtoo

Major Contributor

Shurly there exists AC power supplys. Not this its a DC power supply. Not always you need DC but often AC in different Voltages. I have one on a headphone amp. Output 12v AC. So saying that there are no AC powersupplys is not only wrong its also dangerous at least for connected devices. So who was not attending physics class is highly in question. ;)

And then there are guys that like/need to play with this.
https://www.kikusui.co.jp/en/product/detail.php?IdFamily=0117

AC powersupplis.

Last edited:
So there is AC/DC that converts AC into DC and does other stuff, then there is DC-DC that just does other stuff? Sorry for the dumb questions, I was just confused by the note that came with Aiyima amplifier. Picrel. "Only DC power supply can be used."
aiyimanote.jpg

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So there is AC/DC that converts AC into DC and does other stuff, then there is DC-DC that just does other stuff? Sorry for the dumb questions, I was just confued by the note that came with Aiyima amplifier. Picrel.View attachment 138078

Okay, the power you get from your wall sockets is AC, most devices require DC and have a power supply inside the device. or for the case of laptops and the Aiyima they would use an external power supply.

in some cases people convert AC to AC or DC to DC. you should not be concerned about this.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
these are called transformers because they adjust the voltage from 220/110V to whatever the device requires.
No couse a transformer is something like this.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformer

Can be much smaller, but they have all in common inputcoil/outputcoil thats it. To call something a supply it needs at least some protection.

I mean you can read a complete section on wikipedi on this "non existing device" thats a lot.

AC power supplies Edit
Main article: AC power supply
An AC power supply typically takes the voltage from a wall outlet (mains supply) and uses a transformer to step up or step down the voltage to the desired voltage. Some filtering may take place as well. In some cases, the source voltage is the same as the output voltage; this is called an isolation transformer. Other AC power supply transformers do not provide mains isolation; these are called autotransformers; a variable output autotransformer is known as a variac. Other kinds of AC power supplies are designed to provide a nearly constant current, and output voltage may vary depending on impedance of the load. In cases when the power source is direct current, (like an automobile storage battery), an inverter and step-up transformer may be used to convert it to AC power. Portable AC power may be provided by an alternator powered by a diesel or gasoline engine (for example, at a construction site, in an automobile or boat, or backup power generation for emergency services) whose current is passed to a regulator circuit to provide a constant voltage at the output. Some kinds of AC power conversion do not use a transformer. If the output voltage and input voltage are the same, and primary purpose of the device is to filter AC power, it may be called a line conditioner. If the device is designed to provide backup power, it may be called an uninterruptable power supply. A circuit may be designed with a voltage multiplier topology to directly step-up AC power; formerly, such an application was a vacuum tube AC/DC receiver.

Last edited:

maxxevv

Major Contributor

AC power supplies exist.

Just ask the users of the JDS Atom headphone amps. Mine readss "Power Adaptor" and states 16V AC output, 1000mA.

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
AC power supplies exist.

Just ask the users of the JDS Atom headphone amps. Mine readss "Power Adaptor" and states 16V AC output, 1000mA.
Yeah in the past I did not know and bought a regular dc power supply for my o2 amp. It obviously did not work

HorizonsEdge

Surely?

It made me laugh bc of the famous line from the movie Airplane . . .

Surely you jest!
I never jest and stop calling me Shirley.

Joe Smith

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The power supply that Aiyima sells, 32v/5a, sounds good for both the a07 and the a04 amps. The sound and volume is definitely better with the a07, though. For softer/background playing, a 24v/4.5a supply is OK.

Top Bottom