• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AIYIMA A07 TPA3255 Review (Amplifier)

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
but how can it be an input and output at the same time? How do you switch from input to output?
It is just a pass through for the one not connected.

Joe Smith

Just got one of these, the function of the 3.5 socket on the back is absolutely not clear to me. Is it an input or an output? The manual refers to it as an "output interface" but that makes no sense to me, why you'd want to output from an amp to something else. Versus an auxiliary input which seems like it would be handy from time to time. Sound quality is good with the supplied 32v/5a supply, sounds considerably louder than the a04 amp.

Jdunk54nl

Just got one of these, the function of the 3.5 socket on the back is absolutely not clear to me. Is it an input or an output? The manual refers to it as an "output interface" but that makes no sense to me, why you'd want to output from an amp to something else. Versus an auxiliary input which seems like it would be handy from time to time. Sound quality is good with the supplied 32v/5a supply, sounds considerably louder than the a04 amp.

you can plug in a 3.5mm, then send the signal via rca to a sub. Or plug in rca’s and send the signal to something via the 3.5mm.

They are the same input and/or output. It’s just like a rca y-splitter in a sense.

Ralferator

it's actually pretty nice to have to ad an active subwoofer

Joe Smith

Oh, so you could use that to send signal out to a subwoofer? That is handy i so. The manual sure does NOT make that clear.

I was also amused to see that the a07 also has socketed op-amps. They make a big deal about that in the a04 promo copy, but don't in copy for the a07. I thought the op-amps would be soldered in.

I bought some OPA2134PA op-amp's directly from TI, but they made my power supply noisier with the a04. Going to try again with a different power supply and see if I get same result. Aiyima had told me the 2134 amps would be a good match to replace the stock ones...

sefril

If you swap speaker outputs, does it switch sides for lower speaker?

Other troubleshooting steps;
change amp, see if problem exists. Change source see if problem exists.
Check speaker (buy dats v3, well worth it).
II swapped the cable on the speaker and yes, the unbalanced sound still exists. This time the lower volume on the right goes to the left.
I have to check in my storage for my old amp though, still haven’t check with other amp.

Premonition

Oh, so you could use that to send signal out to a subwoofer? That is handy i so. The manual sure does NOT make that clear.

I was also amused to see that the a07 also has socketed op-amps. They make a big deal about that in the a04 promo copy, but don't in copy for the a07. I thought the op-amps would be soldered in.

I bought some OPA2134PA op-amp's directly from TI, but they made my power supply noisier with the a04. Going to try again with a different power supply and see if I get same result. Aiyima had told me the 2134 amps would be a good match to replace the stock ones...
What do u mean by power supply noisier? Buzzing or coil whine from the external power brick, seems pretty strange

I've the A07 and swapped several opamps in there to try for fun, never had any problems, and like the sound of the OPA2134PA the most tbh. It sounds quite a lot warmer than the NE5532 or LM4562NA.

Ralferator

What do u mean by power supply noisier? Buzzing or coil whine from the external power brick, seems pretty strange

I've the A07 and swapped several opamps in there to try for fun, never had any problems, and like the sound of the OPA2134PA the most tbh. It sounds quite a lot warmer than the NE5532 or LM4562NA.

That's really strange - measurements don't seem to show that so i wonder how that works. Quite a bit warmer would mean that the frequency response must be different or there must be distortion added.

Joe Smith

The 2134PAs are the ones I swapped into the a04 amp, and I liked the sound, once I used the a04 with the 32v/5a power brick that came with the a07. It did seem a little "warmer", more like a Marantz kind of tonality, but I need to listen more. Overall I do like the a07 more so far, still using the stock op-amps in there for now.

I need to test with that other power brick again, but I was hearing more of a high pitched sound once the new op-amps were in. That is a power brick that came with one of my SMSL SA-50s, and it's good, as far as I know. I had upgraded power supplies for the SA-50s, all 24v/5a supplies, but none of the other ones fit the power jack on the a04, as the center positive pin seems to be just a bit fatter than the SA-50s.

Hello! Could someone link me a power brick that won't burn down house for this amp? Aliexpress if possible but european stores or amazons work too!
Also, should I get A07 with NE5532? Is that good?

Last edited:

Kalessin

Forum Donor
Hello! Could someone link me a power brick that won't burn down house for this amp? Aliexpress if possible but european stores or amazons work too!

The Aiyima 32vdc 5000 milliamp power supply that came with the A07 that I bought from Amazon has been in my house for a few months, works like a charm, and exhibits no bad behaviors like overheating or catching fire.

US$30 from the Aiyima website, available with US or EU plug, and as far as I know, they will ship to the EU.

https://www.aiyima.com/products/aiy...255-tda7498e-amplifier?variant=31623791378507

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

I bought a MeanWell GSM220A-48 and it works great. I ordered it using my partner's VAT number lol.

On that note my amplifier is working pretty well for a passive sub. fairly low noise and thermals are good.

I bought a MeanWell GSM220A-48 and it works great. I ordered it using my partner's VAT number lol.

On that note my amplifier is working pretty well for a passive sub. fairly low noise and thermals are good.
70 bucks on aliexpress, bit much for me. Would something like this work? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32773452243.html? And what else would I have to order with it to work with a07? some cables?

violetwhisper

I don't have a direct measurement but the spec sheet for the chip indicates idle is about 2.5w. I have several class AB amps as well and the difference in heat is HUGE. Even my Crown XLS1500 uses approx 35w at idle, even though it is class D (probably the reason is the DSP which would always draw power, even at idle). The Crown used to be my "summer" amplifier because it was so cool and the Aiyima a07 now makes it look hot!
Here are my measurements:
3.3W idle with a laptop-style 24V 3A power supply (1.3W when the amp is turned off)
6.0W idle with a laptop-style 48V 3A power supply (3.0W when the amp is turned off)

I will be using the 24V power supply. I couldn't get the power draw to go up by playing loud music, that's what I get for living in a flat with neighbours. Neat little unit overall.

JeffGB

The power supply included with the amplifier does not turn off. If the same amp were installed in a bigger case and the power switch was positioned to turn power off to the power supply there would be the expected 0 current draw when turned off.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The power supply included with the amplifier does not turn off. If the same amp were installed in a bigger case and the power switch was positioned to turn power off to the power supply there would be the expected 0 current draw when turned off.

thank god my meanwell consumes less than 0.15W, power isn't free.

Joe Smith

I just routinely unplug my power supplies for the class D amps when not in use, or turn off the power strip. Peace of mind, no current draw.

robertospeed

2 Aiyima A07 and 2 Power Supplies 48v 7.3a :p

Attachments

• aiyima a07.jpg
    aiyima a07.jpg
    713 KB · Views: 389
Top Bottom