• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AIYIMA A07 TPA3255 Review (Amplifier)

Nomad

I'm really in doubt about buying this amp. Currently I'm using an Onkyo NR676E all-in-one streamer/receiver/amplifier but this will be sold tomorrow. My objective: to get more fun out of listening and acquire a hobby with new amps, dacs and speakers.

I'll try to get a raspberry pi as a streamer, connect it to a dac and use a/this ampflier. I only have some KEF Q1 speakers but will upgrade these too.
Would appreciate some advice as to if adding a 100 more euro would be benificial (in terms of choice of connectors etc.).

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In reality, you'd need to jump up pretty significantly in price (About 400+ euros total) to something like a hypex ncore design or purifi to even have a chance of noticing differences. So 100 euros more won't change what you get and might actually (probably will) result in worse.

This would be the next jump for me (but I would want more power)
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...wer-amplifier-ncore-2x125w-4-ohm-p-12756.html

250w x 2 @ 4ohms
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...reo-amplifier-ncore-2x250w-4-ohm-p-14278.html

500w x2 @ 4 ohms
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...tereo-class-d-ncore-2x500w-4-ohm-p-15016.html

Premonition

In reality, you'd need to jump up pretty significantly in price (About 400+ euros total) to something like a hypex ncore design or purifi to even have a chance of noticing differences. So 100 euros more won't change what you get and might actually (probably will) result in worse.
Disagree, the aiyima is good for what it is and its price point, it is a good honest Class-D chip amp. But the SA300 for around 50USD more runs rings around it in terms of sound quality, and even has a sub-out. I let the SMSL take over my older rotel's space after hearing it.

The aiyima does one thing really well though, playing at extremely low volumes. I'm using it right now, and it plays everything articulately, no matter how soft i play, which is something that cant be said for all desktop amps.

But once i crank up the volume, it makes me feel like i'm listening to the radio, it's not that there's any distortion, just the sound quality feels kind of bland, narrow, flat. Strangely, depending on the music it sometimes sounded harsh or grainy to me,. Another thing i noticed with it is it sounds pretty much the same regardless of whether i use a ESS Sabre or AKM DAC, which could be both good and bad. This is truly a budget product for one on a tight budget, hook these up with a $50 dac and it will make any fledging audiophile happy.. until they hear something better.

Jdunk54nl

Disagree, the aiyima is good for what it is and its price point, it is a good honest Class-D chip amp. But the SA300 for around 50USD more runs rings around it in terms of sound quality, and even has a sub-out. I let the SMSL take over my older rotel's space after hearing it.

The aiyima does one thing really well though, playing at extremely low volumes. I'm using it right now, and it plays everything articulately, no matter how soft i play, which is something that cant be said for all desktop amps.

But once i crank up the volume, it makes me feel like i'm listening to the radio, it's not that there's any distortion, just the sound quality feels kind of bland, narrow, flat. Strangely, depending on the music it sometimes sounded harsh or grainy to me,. Another thing i noticed with it is it sounds pretty much the same regardless of whether i use a ESS Sabre or AKM DAC, which could be both good and bad. This is truly a budget product for one on a tight budget, hook these up with a $50 dac and it will make any fledging audiophile happy.. until they hear something better.

We can agree that you subjectively like the SMSL better. But I don't see any measurements for it but do see from SMSL's other amp choices, they aren't super in any way. Maybe something changed in the SA300, but I am cautious.

From what else you described though, seems like the Aiyima is sending through pretty much whatever was sent to it. That would easily explain what you are hearing different.

Premonition

We can agree that you subjectively like the SMSL better. But I don't see any measurements for it but do see from SMSL's other amp choices, they aren't super in any way. Maybe something changed in the SA300, but I am cautious.

From what else you described though, seems like the Aiyima is sending through pretty much whatever was sent to it. That would easily explain what you are hearing different.
I own an SMSL AD18, and it's quite literally the worst sounding amplifier i've ever heard, even gets outdone by a cheapass $25 amp. It is to the point that any youtuber that recommends it is pretty much on the blacklist in my head.

The aiyima is sending through whatever it receives indeed, which i think can be perceived as both good and bad. Overall I think it is a great product, but imo it has the kind of flat sound that audiophiles "think" they like, yet constantly keeps them thinking about upgrades.

Jdunk54nl

pma

Major Contributor
I did find Archimago did review the SA300
Here are his results:
http://archimago.blogspot.com/2020/11/measurements-smsl-sa300-infineon-merus.html

My PERSONAL take away from that, I'd buy the Aiyima in a heart beat before that one unless I need its extra functions. The Aiyima has more power and less distortion. Most of the rest of the tests, the Aiyima fairs better at too.

The measurements of SA300 by Archimago are really ugly. It is difficult to say if it is only the amplifier issue or measurement system inadequacy as well (signal ground loop or something similar).

Guddu

The measurements of SA300 by Archimago are really ugly. It is difficult to say if it is only the amplifier issue or measurement system inadequacy as well (signal ground loop or something similar).

I have both - SA300 and A07, and will prefer A07 everytime. I know it's really subjective - SA300 has better looks/features but it sounds so weak as compared to A07.

Toku

Major Contributor
I have both - SA300 and A07, and will prefer A07 everytime. I know it's really subjective - SA300 has better looks/features but it sounds so weak as compared to A07.
Evaluate the SA300 by connecting an external DAC to the RCA input. The sound quality of USB & BT input is not good.
Also, the attached adapter power supply is not good. Please connect a good quality power supply separately.
I use 3 SA300s, 2 A07s, and 2 A04s and compare them, but I don't feel any clear superiority or inferiority.

conuss

Evaluate the SA300 by connecting an external DAC to the RCA input. The sound quality of USB & BT input is not good.
Also, the attached adapter power supply is not good. Please connect a good quality power supply separately.
I use 3 SA300s, 2 A07s, and 2 A04s and compare them, but I don't feel any clear superiority or inferiority.
And the SA300 immediately loses here, since it includes a DAC )).

sefril

i already bought Aiyima A07 based on recommendation on this thread. I also bought adaptor power supply rated at 24v 6a. The problem is, my amplifier doesnt on at all. I already switch the power multiple times and also plug-unplug the adaptor multiple times. Still doesnt turn on.

when i use the power supply on my DAC, Topping D3, it works. I wonder how that happens? Did i have the DOA (dead on arrival) amplifier or simply my power supply sucks (its 10$ adaptor power supply). Please help so i can consider bring my amplifier to the service center (not official one of course) or i buy another power supply with higher voltage (48v 3a).

thanks for any help or input.

Toku

Major Contributor
i already bought Aiyima A07 based on recommendation on this thread. I also bought adaptor power supply rated at 24v 6a. The problem is, my amplifier doesnt on at all. I already switch the power multiple times and also plug-unplug the adaptor multiple times. Still doesnt turn on.

when i use the power supply on my DAC, Topping D3, it works. I wonder how that happens? Did i have the DOA (dead on arrival) amplifier or simply my power supply sucks (its 10$ adaptor power supply). Please help so i can consider bring my amplifier to the service center (not official one of course) or i buy another power supply with higher voltage (48v 3a).

thanks for any help or input.
I think the cause is probably a defective power adapter. The proper power supply voltage for A07 is 24V to 48V, but it can operate at about 19V.
If you have a voltmeter, you can measure the voltage at the DC plug of the AC adapter and you will know whether it is good or bad.

sefril

I think the cause is probably a defective power adapter. The proper power supply voltage for A07 is 24V to 48V, but it can operate at about 19V.
If you have a voltmeter, you can measure the voltage at the DC plug of the AC adapter and you will know whether it is good or bad.
Thanks, Toku. Greetings from Indonesia. I’ve been to your contry a couple years ago. It really is a beautiful country with clean and organized environment. And the people also helpful to foreigner.

for voltmeter, unfortunately i dont have that tool. Would it be better for me to bring this to service center or test with another power supply (48v 3a like amirm in this thread).

.... and check polarity on DC plug, (+) is inside, (-) is outside.

thanks, Zek. Sorry that I dont understand the polarity, i use the adaptor power supply like in amirm use in the test, the one with the ac cord-black brick-dc cord (only with different voltage).

phoenixsong

Thanks, Toku. Greetings from Indonesia. I’ve been to your contry a couple years ago. It really is a beautiful country with clean and organized environment. And the people also helpful to foreigner.

for voltmeter, unfortunately i dont have that tool. Would it be better for me to bring this to service center or test with another power supply (48v 3a like amirm in this thread).

thanks, Zek. Sorry that I dont understand the polarity, i use the adaptor power supply like in amirm use in the test, the one with the ac cord-black brick-dc cord (only with different voltage).
If you look at the plug head, you'll see a central metal pin of sorts within the tube-like portion. Each of these parts carries a charge, and different devices require different charge configurations to function. On some power brick supplies they provide a plug head with inverted polarity to enable compatibility across devices

sefril

If you look at the plug head, you'll see a central metal pin of sorts within the tube-like portion. Each of these parts carries a charge, and different devices require different charge configurations to function. On some power brick supplies they provide a plug head with inverted polarity to enable compatibility across devices
Thanks Phoenix, after googling to know what the polarity in my power supply, its positive polarity. Just like Aiyima power supply 32v on their website. https://www.aiyima.com/products/aiy...255-tda7498e-amplifier?variant=31623791378507

Toku

Major Contributor
Thanks Phoenix, after googling to know what the polarity in my power supply, its positive polarity. Just like Aiyima power supply 32v on their website. https://www.aiyima.com/products/aiy...255-tda7498e-amplifier?variant=31623791378507
I was already in bed when I found your post.
As I read the text again today, did you connect a 24V power supply to the Topping D3 with a 15V power supply voltage? Did D3 break? That's too dangerous.

Most DC plugs have a positive electrode at the center pin. Polarity is usually shown on the power supply body.

The problem is your A07, but I've had the same symptom of not turning on with other TPA3255 amplifiers. The cause was poor quality of the power switch. From that experience I suggest to you.
Repeat ON-OFF of the power switch about 100 times quickly. That may improve it.

Top Bottom