• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AIYIMA A07 TPA3255 Review (Amplifier)

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If you don’t mind spending a little extra and attaching the connectors yourself
Good quality brand more power and adjustable voltage.
https://www.amazon.com/HLG-240H-42A...1&keywords=meanwell+42V&qid=1615833885&sr=8-6

If you can safely DIY, Mean Well has more economical options that can source more current. Be careful of the open barrier strip, though -- this model seems to lack the snap-down plastic cover that most of the generics have.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mean-Well-...e-Output-Switchable-Power-Supply/112267102376

Lambda

Major Contributor
If you can safely DIY, Mean Well has more economical options that can source more current. Be careful of the open barrier strip, though -- this model seems to lack the snap-down plastic cover that most of the generics have.
Yes but it also has a fan and is not fully enclosed.

1615855454350.png

3d printers use this style of power supply with a printed cover

Raindog123

Major Contributor
I bought 07 from AiyimaTechnology Store and it doesn't work - no light, no sound. PSU 28V 10A, + inside. Seller keeps silent. Open a dispute.
Can be a DC resistor burned?

Try a different power supply? Check your supply polarity?
I would like to believe the units pass some QA test before being shipped.

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yes but it also has a fan and is not fully enclosed.

View attachment 118437

3d printers use this style of power supply with a printed cover

So do scores of other DC devices. Most Mean Well products in this form factor have thermostatically-controlled fans which will never turn on in this application. Aside from the naked barrier strip I mentioned, IMO this type of SMPS passes muster as "fully enclosed" for all intents and purposes -- the only other openings are for ventilation, which is a common thermal measure for all sorts of audio gear.

mihvas

So do scores of other DC devices. Most Mean Well products in this form factor have thermostatically-controlled fans which will never turn on in this application. Aside from the naked barrier strip I mentioned, IMO this type of SMPS passes muster as "fully enclosed" for all intents and purposes -- the only other openings are for ventilation, which is a common thermal measure for all sorts of audio gear.
I spent quite a lot of time for research and know that important is - Output Ripple (DC Load Current) = should be < 50 mV. So I bought Mean Well SDR series. Best one, clean output. SDR-240-24 with 28V max. About 65$ in Russia.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Plugged the Aiyima again yesterday to be sure: this thing produces a little more hiss in the speakers than SMSL AD18 (audible at 1m+ against 60cm when the ear is oriented towards the tweeter [not while looking at it]).
To compare; Genelec 8030C and, of course, JBL 305p MKII produce a lot more hiss (2m+).

mihvas

Let me share this.
I bought new a04. Instead of DOA a07.
1. Capacitors 2200mF and not 3000 as stated advertising. Bad.
2. Power consumption of amp at 3 o'clock about 15wt. At maximum about 20wt. Of course stereo... Monitor audio Silver.
PSU at 28v.
3. Comparing to my fx D802 direct digital amplifier i lost deep bass and energy and a bit speed. Dangerous of Michael Jackson lost attractiveness.
But maybe some more clarity and softness.
So overall dissatisfied. Give some time more for assessment.

mihvas

Proof pictures.
And a question... Can i input to thr amplifier a signal 4v instead of 2v of RCA?
Say if i buy new Board2 recently discussed here with balanced RCA.

Attachments

• CUAmk0h8xjA.jpg
    CUAmk0h8xjA.jpg
    362 KB · Views: 228
  • qXdQljJCnxY.jpg
    qXdQljJCnxY.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 182
  • 2q3fT8w_m6o.jpg
    2q3fT8w_m6o.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 176

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
And a question... Can i input to thr amplifier a signal 4v instead of 2v of RCA?
Say if i buy new Board2 recently discussed here with balanced RCA.
The amps only have single ended inputs so you'd be using ordinary RCA to RCA interconnects and only getting 2V output from the Tone Board 2 (between hot and ground). The 4V is the balanced signal between hot and cold.

mihvas

The amps only have single ended inputs so you'd be using ordinary RCA to RCA interconnects and only getting 2V output from the Tone Board 2 (between hot and ground). The 4V is the balanced signal between hot and cold.
What will be if do anyway 4v to A04 amp?
Will Ak4493 be better and punchier in low/bass than Es9038q2m?

mihvas

I swapped to LM4562 now and hear a bit better sound, more @intellegent@. Still like fx audio D802 as very brutal.
Funny that I have Van den Hul RCA cables cost $100 vs $35 amp... So after playing with A04 I would better bring my old Rotel 02 back. Just wanted smaller and cooler.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
What will be if do anyway 4v to A04 amp?
Based on the pictures in the teardown the inputs go to the volume pot before any active components, so you'd just turn the volume down a bit to get the same output.
Will Ak4493 be better and punchier in low/bass than Es9038q2m?
Probably no different in a level matched blind test, and any difference will be down to implementation not chip.

Reactions: pma

pma

Major Contributor
Based on the pictures in the teardown the inputs go to the volume pot before any active components, so you'd just turn the volume down a bit to get the same output.

That's absolutely correct. 1st is input pot and then cap + resistor network of the opamp.

Top Bottom