• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AIYIMA A07 TPA3255 Review (Amplifier)

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have it using my loxjie PSU which is 24v 6.75A and it's loud as hell even when the knob's not even half. And when I say loud i mean as loud as my Denon X4700 at "0 db". It's probably putting out at least 80w per channel

Can you imagine what it could do given 48V @ 10A into a four ohm L+R speaker setup with sensitivity in the 92-93 dB ballpark? It's a good thing those speakers are rated for 250 watt peaks! :cool:

Last edited:

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The $23 TPA3255 clone amp I reference says: Power Supply Voltage: DC24-28V DC in the Amazon listing.

Is it a consensus that while the TPA3255 chip can handle 48v, that a AO7/clone chassis probably cannot without modification? Am I correct that the amp will run hotter with a 48v power supply even if it is always played at low volume?

For owners who prioritize maximum output as secondary to reliability, is 32v 5a the sweet spot?

Raindog123

Major Contributor
48v and 5a for 240w if true as claimed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274021785927

Maybe i try one

I've bought this one. Have not pushed it to the max, just plugged it in and it works the same as my 48V 3A one. The PS itself is quiet, and no any background hum/hiss out the speakers... Two warnings: (1) The power cord is two-prong (no ground pin) - some might like it, some not. (2) It's a 48V supply - and after personally comparing both 48V and 36V, the A07 runs significantly cooler (judged by the enclosure touch) with 36V.

So, I settled on this 36V 4A one from amazon. (There is also this 36V 5A one, but tad more expensive.)

Last edited:

Raindog123

Major Contributor
The $23 TPA3255 clone amp I reference says: Power Supply Voltage: DC24-28V DC...

Is it a consensus that while the TPA3255 chip can handle 48v, that a AO7/clone chassis probably cannot without modification? Am I correct that the amp will run hotter with a 48v power supply even if it is always played at low volume?

For owners who prioritize maximum output as secondary to reliability, is 32v 5a the sweet spot?

Well, it also still says "Total Power: 300W x 2, stereo" that no way anyone can get out of a 28V PS... :) My bet/hope they just cloned the original board layout and BOM, so hopefully it is identical to "A07 proper". A few of us have ordered a clone, so shall see in April - at least by visually inspecting capacitors and such.

As I've just posted, after personally trying two 48V and one 36V PS bricks (with Aiyima A07), I've settled on the 36V. While the amp run fine for multiple 5-hour listening sessions with a 48V-supply, it does run significantly hotter to the touch. With my 36V 4A amazon purchase, the amp enclosure stays pretty much at the room temperature all the time at the same listening volumes.

So, despite what I was personally saying here a month ago, I now believe that 36V and 4 or 5A is A07's sweet power-supply spot.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, it also still says "Total Power: 300W x 2, stereo" that no way anyone can get out of a 28V PS... :)

NO???? I wonder if I can still cancel my order? ;) In the very old days before power ratings were standardized we called these ratings "WLS" power....When Lightning Strikes. Power ratings are again not standardized.

It seems that the tiny Class D amp manufacturer's are consistent in quoting power based on the absolute maximum of the chip's spec sheet, while building boards, enclosures, and shipping or recommending power supplies that can never achieve it. I think your recommendations are good ones, and I like the fact that they are shipped Prime. So, I will have lots of time to search my bins for a suitable supply before having to order one for the $23 clone.

Steamrolly

So, despite what I was personally saying here a month ago, I now believe that 36V and 4 or 5A is A07's sweet power-supply spot.

What! :eek: Now I have to go buy another power supply to keep up with the changing times! :cool: And then I will have to buy another amp for my old power supply, and another DAC for that amp, and another RPi and....

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
If the listing says 28V I'd be checking the capacitor and regulator voltage ratings before running on anything higher.

Toku

Major Contributor
I think the description of 24V to 28V is a simple mistake and 24V to 48V is correct.

Raindog123

Major Contributor
What! :eek: Now I have to go buy another power supply to keep up with the changing times! :cool:

Sorry dude! An extra pitcher is on me. On the right occasion. :)

And, I might be just imagining... but it felt like 48V had more bass. Even like too much bass (for my room and with my Wharfedale’s). So, truly never ending quest (sometimes backed by Amazon prime with its returns ;))

boselover61

I've bough this one. Have not pushed it to the max, just plugged it in and it works the same as my 48V 3A one. The PS itself is quiet, and no any background hum/hiss out the speakers... Two warnings: (1) The power cord is two-prong (no ground pin) - some might like it, some not. (2) It's a 48V supply - and after personally comparing both 48V and 36V, the A07 runs significantly cooler (judged by the enclosure touch) with 36V.

So, I settled on this 36V 4A one from amazon. (There is also this 36V 5A one, but tad more expensive.)
So is the 48v 5a 240w link a real one? I might get it

Raindog123

Major Contributor
So is the 48v 5a 240w link a real one? I might get it

Its a real eBay shop, I believe, specializing in surveillance equipment. So should not be a relabeled lower-power scam, but something they actually use in their installations. But with those $17 bricks you never totally know what‘s under the hood... Shipping was fast, with tracking. We even exchanged a couple of ebay messages, the guy was responsive and professional.

IMG_1299.jpg

Last edited:

remlemasi

Its a real eBay shop, I believe, specializing in surveillance equipment. So should not be a relabeled lower-power scam, but something they actually use in their installations. But with those $17 bricks you never totally know what‘s under the hood... Shipping was fast, with tracking. We even exchanged a couple of ebay messages, the guy was responsive and professional.

Nice! It's one for $17.96, but four for $8.98 each (50% off). Shipping is still $7.99 each so no discount there.

Anyone in SoCal want to split a set of four (or more)? I'm happy to pay up front and we can meet up locally when/wherever works with our schedules. I am in Chino Hills but head down to South OC pretty regularly. Send me a PM so we don't muck up this thread.

Let me know soon as I don't want to wait too long to place an order!

Last edited:

Raindog123

Major Contributor
I am in Chino Hills but head down to South OC pretty regularly

Ha. We lived in Placentia (by Brea and Yorba Linda) only two years ago... now across the country. And I’ve already got mine! :)

(And not to be a broken record... But unless one really plans to draw all that power into a matching speaker load - and it’s a lot of acoustic power, even as a peak! - the 3255 chip does run hotter (ie less efficient and potentially with shorter life) on 48V compared to lower supply voltages. I did not realize it at first, even though was told by wise ones here... So, if you truly are after the max power out of a 3255 into 8+Ohm speaker, the 48V is the way to go; otherwise - a 36V [5A] power supply is da-bes.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom