• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AIYIMA A07 TPA3255 Review (Amplifier)

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This amp seems like the best budget option available. Does it make any sense to pair it with Aiyima DAC-A5 Pro as a DAC?
Do you need a DAC? For $100 I would probably look at one of the $100 ones reviewed here that does really well. Or I would look at the loxjie a30 which is an all in one for $150.

Bruce Morgen

Forum Donor
If you're doing that sort of measurement you should see how much is due to the A07 itself (how much it draws from the PSU in standby) and how much is due to the PSU alone. Test a few different PSUs and you'll probably see some significant differences.

Exactly -- especially if you choose an old-fashioned linear PSU. Moreover, 7W is not really "a lot" -- it's the same as one of those little incandescent night light bulbs that were pretty much standard before LEDs took over!

39ca09f0-024b-4a0b-ae48-cc36898b5eee_1000[1].jpg

vball_max

It has some potential -- the heat sink seems to be about the same size as the A07's, but at least the case is larger and better ventilated. On the minus side, the power supply's heat contribution might offset the case's thermal advantage, especially if you swap in a more powerful unit, and the DAC and/or Bluetooth features are, well, of no interest here -- but they may well be useful to others. Another minus: the shipping cost is enormous, whereas the A07 ships free, at least to the U.S.

This is interesting. I just received my A07, but havent had a chance to hook it up yet. I was considering picking up something similar with bluetooth capabilites for my basement/garage setup so I can keep my phone in my pocket instead of near the amp, so I may consider the A08 for that.

Do you know why the A08 unit has only 3 op-amps when the A07 has 4? From what I understand, the A07 runs each channel in a bridged mode, so each channel needs 2. I would think the A08 would use the same, but it appears to only have 3 total. Am I missing something here?

Also, there has been a lot of discussions about the various op-amps than can be used as replacements and it gets a little overwhelming for a DIY noob like myself. Is the LM4562NA typically the go to replacement? It would be very helpful if there was a list somewhere of the different op-amps that can be used (or at least the few main options) with the differences between them (i.e. direct fit or not, sonic characteristics, etc.). I know thats not a small task, but would be extremely useful if someone has extra time on their hands.

Last edited:

Moosi

The loxjie a30 is literally as rare as a diamond. I searched the whole web for it, even various second hand places. There is not a single unit to be found purchaseable. It is not even clear if there will be any more produced. As for now it is a dead product.

Moosi

Are those measurements "power versus distortion" regarding watts 4/8 ohm for the entire system or per speaker channel? If it does 61W at 8 Ohm with a 48V supply, It says "both channels driven" but does that mean 2x30.5W or 2x61W?

Synergy4

The loxjie a30 is literally as rare as a diamond. I searched the whole web for it, even various second hand places. There is not a single unit to be found purchaseable. It is not even clear if there will be any more produced. As for now it is a dead product.

LOXJIE A30 Desktop Stereo Audio DAC & Power Amplifier Support APTX NJW1194 Bluetooth 5.0 With Remote Control : https://www.aliexpress.com/i/1005001464642475.html

Loxie.JPG

DuncanTodd

They can't seem to keep up with the demand or make small production runs. The French audio site has it with an ETA for end of February.

Guddu

Do you know why the A08 unit has only 3 op-amps when the A07 has 4? From what I understand, the A07 runs each channel in a bridged mode, so each channel needs 2. I would think the A08 would use the same, but it appears to only have 3 total. Am I missing something here?

Where do you see 4 opamps in A07?

Moosi

I believe those are dual-OPs. 2x2 in the A07 and either 3x1 or 3x2 in the A08.

Steamrolly

Was able to pull the knob off and lubricate it. Works well enough.
I received mine today and found the volume knob was simply dragging in spots. If I pulled it out slightly it turned smoothly so I pulled off the knob and placed a couple small washers on the pot stem as a spacer and replaced the knob. Works great now.

Steamrolly

Congrats! So, what power supply did you end up getting? And what is your overall impression? :)
I ended up with the COOLM 48v 3a power supply from Amazon.ca, so combined with the amp $95 CDN total. I have had it running for about 2.5hrs and I am quite happy with it so far. The power supply is cool to the touch and silent; the amp is slightly warm but nothing unexpected (Actually cooler than I though it would be from what I had read in this forum). I have been running it with the volume at 10 o'clock is which definitely loud enough, 9 o'clock is probably a more reasonable listening level.

Steamrolly

So is A08 a beefed up version of A07 (e.g. not worse than A07)?
It appears that the A08 shares the same amp chip and opamp as the A07 however that doesn't guarantee the same performance. The A08 also includes a built in DAC, Bluetooth, and power supply so while the A07 is basic amplifier the A08 is an all in one unit. I would expect that A07 combined with a Topping D10s would perform better than the A08 but if having a combined unit is important the Loxjie A30, suggested above, would be a better bet (if you can find one). Similar, but not necessarily recommended, would be the Topping MX3. You can find reviews for all of these on this forum. I personally prefer the route of separate components.

dasherzx

I have the a07 paired with a pair of elac dfr52. it gets loud, my volume knob is at 12 more or less.
but im not certain if the power is enough. i dont have another system to do a comparison with so i can't tell if there are distortions. opinions?
i'm probably getting an all in one solution like the yamaha streamer reviewed here. we'll see how it sounds then. im just using an nx4 in the meantime.

Last edited:

Raindog123

Major Contributor
...but im not certain if the power is enough. i dont have another system to do a comparison with so i can't tell if there are distortions. opinions?.

Your speakers are 6Ohm, 87dB... So, A07 should handle it fine (eg, you would need 32W to output 102dB which is pretty loud for an average size room). But, to reliably output such relatively high - 30W+/chan sustained - power in a pair of 6-Ohm speakers (and handle even higher max-power spikes), you might want to make sure that you have a high-current power supply (ideally, 5A or higher) at at least 36V.

Top Bottom