• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AIYIMA A07 TPA3255 Review (Amplifier)

gnat_leader

Hi everyone. I have done most of the mods for the A07 i thought will give me most return.
I am currently using generic 24V 6 amp power supply and am very happy with the sound quality as of now. I hardly have to push the volume to 60% in windows before it gets too loud. A07 volume knob set at max.
Do you feel upgrading the power supply to Meanwell 36v 5 amp going to benefit me ? I mean strictly from a sound quality standpoint ? Bcoz i already have much headroom already on 24v SMPS. I don't want to upgrade if it's just for more headroom.
what was the total cost of all the mods?

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
Currently using the A07 with 32v/5a Aiyima power supply, newly mated with a restored NAD 1020 preamplifier. It's a nice pairing, they play very well together. I just have to be careful with the two volume knobs in play. Gets very satisfyingly loud in my smaller workroom with volume in about 10 o'clock spot on both units. I thought I might get some hiss from adding in the preamp but it's dead quiet. Nice to have the NAD's tone controls when I need them and the nice phono circuit. Currently using my KEF Q series 15.2 bookshelves and they sound great, plenty of power for them.

savoy13

Please tell me why my aiyima07 has one channel louder than the other? I swapped the speakers, their wires and the cable transmitting the signal from the sound card to the amplifier - nothing fixes this problem. I am a musician, I have 2 pairs of monitors. The second pair are active, everything is fine with them. I'm taking the audio out of Cubase 11. When the sound goes to aiyima, then I have to shift the panorama to the right by about a third, one channel of the second is so much louder.
What could be the matter?

Jacob8275

Please tell me why my aiyima07 has one channel louder than the other? I swapped the speakers, their wires and the cable transmitting the signal from the sound card to the amplifier - nothing fixes this problem. I am a musician, I have 2 pairs of monitors. The second pair are active, everything is fine with them. I'm taking the audio out of Cubase 11. When the sound goes to aiyima, then I have to shift the panorama to the right by about a third, one channel of the second is so much louder.
What could be the matter?
same issue as mine, I was told to open the amplifier case and to check the op amps, replug the op amps solved the issue, but after a month it happened again.

savoy13

same issue as mine, I was told to open the amplifier case and to check the op amps, replug the op amps solved the issue, but after a month it happened again.
Can change them for similar ones, but somehow pick them up according to the "matched pair" principle, but I don't understand this so much that it would make sense, clarify, who knows ...

Last edited:

pbc

Picked up one of these for an inexpensive 2.1 channel set up. Works great (tried the SMSL AO200 and Aa300 but no noticeable difference to my ears so stuck with the cheapest).

Amir’s review mentions leaving the power supply unplugged. But the one I came with has a 3 prong plug vs the 2 prong he mentions in his review.

Are folks fine leaving it plugged in (even on … assuming it doesn’t use much energy as it sits)?

diablo

Forum Donor
Amir’s review mentions leaving the power supply unplugged. But the one I came with has a 3 prong plug vs the 2 prong he mentions in his review.

Are folks fine leaving it plugged in (even on … assuming it doesn’t use much energy as it sits)?
Mine have three pin plugs but the actual power supply itself is the standard one and isn't earthed. The amps use 2 watts when off and 4 watts when turned on.

I have one in regular use and it is gets disconnected from the mains when not in use. It may damage the power supply eventually - but if it does I'll get another one. :)

pbc

Mine have three pin plugs but the actual power supply itself is the standard one and isn't earthed. The amps use 2 watts when off and 4 watts when turned on.

I have one in regular use and it is gets disconnected from the mains when not in use. It may damage the power supply eventually - but if it does I'll get another one. :)

How can you tell it isn’t earthed?

diablo

Forum Donor
How can you tell it isn’t earthed?
The wire itself has only two cores. If it was earthed it would need three. The PS isn't designed to be earthed.

trungdtmc

today i has measured with power supply 43V 12A, dummy load 4,2ohm, test tone 1khz, my amp can handle 25.8V RMS (158W) in about 4 mins befofe shutdown by OTE

Jacob8275

how do you tell appart the fosi tb10d new version fron the old version that had very poor reviews ? what changed inside to get better reviews ? thanks
The old version has been discontinued, you can no longer buy it in the market, they updated the circuit to reduce the noise.

jnorris

Has anyone noticed that the stereo separation on the A07 is significantly less than other amps? I just ran some tests and the A07 soundstage is far less wide than that of an old Hafler DH-120.

pbc

Has anyone noticed that the stereo separation on the A07 is significantly less than other amps? I just ran some tests and the A07 soundstage is far less wide than that of an old Hafler DH-120.
How did you go about measuring/testing that?

Roland68

Major Contributor
There seems to be a difference, but I couldn't tell with mine. See also:
Test stereo separation

jnorris

How did you go about measuring/testing that?
I realized my test procedure may be flawed. I ran the A07 outputs into a headphone jack adapter, then into a Tascam recorder running at 192KHz and recorded the RightMark test tones. I think the problem is the headphone adapter and cable use a common negative, which is apparently no good for Class D amps. In use, the separation on the A07 seems fine.

Roland68

Major Contributor
My new power supply for the AIYIMA A07 arrived today.
But I'm not sure, will it be powerful enough?
Don't the power rails look a little puny? :facepalm:

IMG_0061.jpeg
IMG_0060.jpeg

Severian

Forum Donor
I've been using one of these with the stock power supply to power my Stax L700 Mk2 headphones via an SRD-7 transformer box. It has been a great combo with plenty of power and headroom for an EQ profile. I soon plan to test it out with a pair of Hifiman HE6se v2s.

GNK

Does anyone know that this amp can be run as a bridge mode mono block or not?
I want to utilize its high power as a subwoofer amp, and I don't need stereo channel.

linuxfan

Does anyone know that this amp can be run as a bridge mode monoblock
The answer to your question is contained in the datasheet for the TPA3255 chip -
https://www.ti.com/lit/gpn/tpa3255
In stereo mode the chip is already configured as bridge-tied load. For mono the chip needs to be in parallelled BTL (PBTL).
Sure, you could follow the schematics and modify your AIYIMA A07 board to reconfigure it for PBTL - see page 28 of the datasheet.
But this is delicate work, and you risk damaging the board.
I suggest it's far more sensible to just buy the mono version of the A07, which AIYIMA already provides as model A3001 -
https://www.aiyima.com/products/subwoofer-amplifier-aiyima-a3001

Top Bottom