• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AIYIMA A07 TPA3255 Review (Amplifier)

Toku

Major Contributor
Hey, there is an upgraded version with bass and treble control: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MJBG53V

This product also uses the same TPA3255 amplifier chip as AIYIMA A07, but it is a completely different type of product.
There is a detailed review by amirm.

Jeromeof

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This product also uses the same TPA3255 amplifier chip as AIYIMA A07, but it is a completely different type of product.
There is a detailed review by amirm.
How is it totally different? Seems like it has tone controls but tests worse than the A07 for SINAD?

Toku

Major Contributor
How is it totally different? Seems like it has tone controls but tests worse than the A07 for SINAD?
AIYMA A07

Jeromeof

Forum Donor
AIYMA A07
Yes I know that review of the A07 (I bought 2 A07's because of it) - my point is I don't really think this Fosi Audio device is a "completely different type of product"? It uses the same amplifier chip - but it looks to me like they added tone control, a bit extra power but at the cost of worse SINAD scores. The A07 got 83 while the TB10D got 76?

Toku

Major Contributor
Yes I know that review of the A07 (I bought 2 A07's because of it) - my point is I don't really think this Fosi Audio device is a "completely different type of product"? It uses the same amplifier chip - but it looks to me like they added tone control, a bit extra power but at the cost of worse SINAD scores. The A07 got 83 while the TB10D got 76?
It is a comparison of both from the results of ASR.
The output power for each model is the maximum output power listed in the data sheet of the TPA3255 chip.
It is not the power that the product can produce.

Fosi Audio TB10D
88W (32V 4Ω)
46W (32V 8Ω)
THD+N 76dB

AIYIMA A07
77W (32V 4Ω)
48W (32V 8Ω)
THD+N 83dB

trungdtmc

i think problem with A07 is heat, with 4Ω it has work with larger current but heatsink could not handle, then OTE on, amp shut it down :D

Toku

Major Contributor
i think problem with A07 is heat, with 4Ω it has work with larger current but heatsink could not handle, then OTE on, amp shut it down :D
Yes, that's right.
I have tested various TPA3255 amplifiers. Not only AIYIMA A07, but also Chinese amplifiers using TPA3255 chip should be used with power supply voltage below 36V for safe use.
In order to use it with a voltage higher than that, some kind of cooling method must be considered.
The 32V power adapter that comes with the product is the correct voltage for safe use.

Bruce Morgen

Forum Donor
In order to use it with a voltage higher than that, some kind of cooling method must be considered.

..or you can simply run it at a sensible volume for this sort of product, with the extra voltage providing some headroom for momentary peaks.

Toku

Major Contributor
..or you can simply run it at a sensible volume for this sort of product, with the extra voltage providing some headroom for momentary peaks.
As you can see when you actually use the amplifier, regardless of the volume, the case temperature rises considerably even in the standby state, and you hesitate to use it.
In particular, AIYIMA A07 has a small heat sink and no consideration is given to heat dissipation.

Not that I would bother myself -- I strongly suspect the A07's performance limitations are designed in rather than the result of component selection -- but I'd be curious as to whether this sort of project results in any measurable improvement(s).

"Aiyima A07 class D amplifier tpa3255 modified" on U-Toob
I also have a long experience, but in the world of DIY, it is meaningful to freely remodel using parts that you like, and I don't really care about the result. It is a world of 100% self-satisfaction just by convincing yourself that things have improved. No measurements were taken of the results in this remodel example either.

wave

Ran my unit at high levels for several hours powering it with 48v and failed to make it get considerably hot

Bruce Morgen

Forum Donor
As you can see when you actually use the amplifier, regardless of the volume, the case temperature rises considerably even in the standby state, and you hesitate to use it.
In particular, AIYIMA A07 has a small heat sink and no consideration is given to heat dissipation.

I have literally years of experience with A07s -- I own four, with two of them in pretty much constant use -- and have been aware of their measurable "heat dissipation" issue all along. So far, not a single actual problem -- not even a benign heat-related chip shutdown -- has occurred from running those two for hours (and sometimes days) at a time on 46+VDC from a single 10A SMPS. IOW, "when you actually use the amplifier" in real world music reproduction, the A07's clear thermal management shortcoming amounts to a classic "nothingburger," unworthy of even a moment's worry.

Bruce Morgen

Forum Donor
I also have a long experience, but in the world of DIY, it is meaningful to freely remodel using parts that you like, and I don't really care about the result. It is a world of 100% self-satisfaction just by convincing yourself that things have improved. No measurements were taken of the results in this remodel example either.

I, on the other hand, am well and truly over DIY projects that have the sole result of "self-satisfaction." IOW, if there's no actual improvement available, there won't be any DIY effort expended here. :cool:

RHO

Major Contributor
No, doesn't heat up much at all. Certainly not at idle. When in use it gets barely lukewarm.

Toku

Major Contributor
No, doesn't heat up much at all. Certainly not at idle. When in use it gets barely lukewarm.
What is your A07's power supply voltage in volts?
In the summer season in Japan, where I live, using the A07 at 48V makes it hot enough to burn an egg. If it is 36V, you can hold it in your hand.

RHO

Major Contributor
In the summer season in Japan, where I live, using the A07 at 48V makes it hot enough to burn an egg. If it is 36V, you can hold it in your hand.
36V.

Bruce Morgen

Forum Donor
There is no problem if it is used in a cool environment at 36V.

..or, apparently, at 46v. I could leave my hand on top of the amp indefinitely, should I ever decide to do such a ridiculous thing. BTW, my other A07 is stacked directly underneath that one -- out of reach of my hand, but still presenting no operational issues whatsoever AFAICT in this air-conditioned space, where the temperature hovers around 24-25 C all year.

Last edited:

Midnight Audiophile

Do you need 48v with your system setup? I use a Drok 48v 10a adjustable ps and keep it set between 30-32 volts. Never had it get warm. If you run at 48v you may want to cut some vent holes to allow for better airflow over the heatsink. This is a template I created and pics of my A07 that I vented (even though I've never had a heat problem, just sort of a proof of concept).
Amp_Cut_Temp_4.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 3.08.02 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 3.08.32 AM.png

RHO

Major Contributor
There is no problem if it is used in a cool environment at 36V.
We had the hottest summer ever and I don't have airco in the house. ;)

Top Bottom