• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AIYIMA A07 TPA3255 Review (Amplifier)

Toku

Major Contributor
That's interesting. I've started using the 32v power supply with the A04, it was almost too loud with the A07 I have. How is Aiyima indicating their model revisions, Toku? Is it on the main circuit board? I've been planning to try the A07 with my one 24v supply from SMSL where the plug fits their socket, but hadn't gotten around to that yet.
The A07/A04 I own is the earliest model and I haven't bought the latest one yet.
Some people who purchased additional A07 at the Japanese forum reported some complaints that the latest model had lower gain.

Klint

The A07/A04 I own is the earliest model and I haven't bought the latest one yet.
Some people who purchased additional A07 at the Japanese forum reported some complaints that the latest model had lower gain.
I was afraid of this, i need the higher gain.
I put the Q to Aiyima and they replied nothing is changed but very hard to get an answer from them when asking about gain.
I asked for input sensitivity, they answered 86dB.

Klint

Not very accurate, but compared to the Topping PA5 I needed to lower output from Denon receiver 14dB for A07 to get the same level.
So not very low gain, on the units received yesterday.
I cant say anything regarding sound but the "feel" is above Topping, better finishing, straight connectors, stiffer case, not so fragile, no wobbling volume control, dipswitches feel better.

Attachments

• ayii.jpg
    ayii.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 268

mightycicadalord

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just got one of these guys in to power some DIY Amiga's, fairly low sensitivity speakers at 83-84 db.

Man, this thing is absolutely killer. Plenty of juice, knob stays at about 11 o clock. Build is great, it is absolutely dead silent with my speakers. I cannot hear anything with my ear next to the tweeter. I've had quiet monitors that you can't hear from short distances but this is just another level of quiet, don't think I can go back to powered monitors now.

I ordered another to replace the SMSL sa36 in the living room.

Thanks for the review Amir, you make picking out gear pretty easy sometimes.

jmillar

Thank you for another great review and all the fantastic year (yes 2020 was fantastic at ASR :))

Some thoughs:
Amazon listing says recommended power adapter DC48V 5A, while manufacturer's product page recommends even higher (48V 7,5A). So question arises if we reached max. potential here..

I'd be curious about the thermal design as well. Maybe it wouldn't cost much time (with these cheap "easy to remove cover" bricks) to measure the heatsink temperature near max. output (with infrared thermometer). Say not every amp review, from time to time..;)
That said, I wonder if these passive chip-amp designs are more limited with overall hw design or with internal temperature. (and if it will go higher in output, had it be active cooled)

PS: listening tests shouldn't be omitted, mfg claims at product page "dual 300W shocking bass output" ;)
The way it's built it will *eventually* cook a couple of big electrolytics, among other things They have a passive radiator over the main chip, but no airflow. Pity they have not heat coupled the chip to the aluminum casing.

Raindog123

Major Contributor
I can't say mine is really generating any heat at the levels I'm using it at with the 36v psu, but I might drill some holes in the top and epoxy a mesh over them, modding stuff is fun :)
And while you're in your modding mood, why would not you conjure the speaker-cable raisers under your cables? :)

The way it's built it will *eventually* cook a couple of big electrolytics, among other things
As long as this "eventually" is comparable with the [remaining] lifespan of the Universe we should be ok, no?

Unadan

Total noob here but might buy this mini amp. Could you please give me some recommendations for a pair of budget (below $200 total) passive speakers to pair with this unit? Thanks.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Total noob here but might buy this mini amp. Could you please give me some recommendations for a pair of budget (below $200 total) passive speakers to pair with this unit? Thanks.
Without more details (room size, listening distance, how loud is loud enough, music or movies etc.) it's hard to do more than point you to the speaker review index in the header bar. Where you are in the world will affect availability too - some of the good ones just aren't available in my part of the world. Also do you have a specific need for a separate amp and passive speakers, since there are some good budget active speakers that might fit the budget.

Unadan

Without more details (room size, listening distance, how loud is loud enough, music or movies etc.) it's hard to do more than point you to the speaker review index in the header bar. Where you are in the world will affect availability too - some of the good ones just aren't available in my part of the world. Also do you have a specific need for a separate amp and passive speakers, since there are some good budget active speakers that might fit the budget.
Thanks. Might just skip the amp and go with a pair of active Neumi BS5Ps.

drfrink24

Hey guys, I got my Aiyima about a month ago, and its developed a distinct popping when a track starts/stops. It did not do this out of the box.

Setup: PI4 USB w/Moode Audio > Topping E50 (volume controlled here) > Aiyima with volume set to 3/4 or sometimes full.

When I switch to my DIY IcePower 200ASC amplifier (which has no gain settings), the problem goes away.

Normally I would have suspected an upstream source of the popping, but knowing that when I switch out the amplifier it goes away, leads me to the Aiyima.

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks. Might just skip the amp and go with a pair of active Neumi BS5Ps.
Not a bad idea at all. Under $300, your options are quite limited, and even more so under $200. It is difficult to even find good second hand deals in that price range, I think.

Top Bottom