• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AIYIMA A07 TPA3255 Review (Amplifier)

Scrufboy

I've got it separate. I like the digital display and it's got a knob to adjust the voltage. It was pretty easy to wire up and I painted it black:

View attachment 140106

Also be aware that the 3.5" aux on the back of the A07 is both input and output so you can use it to connect a subwoofer. You just need a powered sub with both crossover and gain/volume adjustments. The volume control on the A07 does not control the level on the 3.5" output so one way to use it for a sub is to have a DAC with both fixed and variable volume control options (I have an ifi Zen Sig DAC with both). This way you can set your sub gain to the appropriate amp volume level and the overall system volume is controlled at the DAC. If you want to bump the sub up some just decrease the amp volume a little and vice versa. I have my amp set to about the 2:00 position.
Hey man, can you possibly help me with a parts list for those cables you made for powering that Drok? I definitely need to do that vs my current setup

winflex

I have an extra Aiyima A07 and am wondering if it can be used in bridge mono drive a passive subwoofer. The idea would be to connect the positive from the left channel and the negative from the right channel to the subwoofer input and let the low pass filter in the subwoofer attenuate any high frequency components.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have an extra Aiyima A07 and am wondering if it can be used in bridge mono drive a passive subwoofer. The idea would be to connect the positive from the left channel and the negative from the right channel to the subwoofer input and let the low pass filter in the subwoofer attenuate any high frequency components.
Unlikely or difficult. In the standard stereo implementation, the TPA3255 chip is already bridged (the chip has 4 single-ended channels). Theoretically the TPA3255 can be used in the parallel bridge tied load (PBTL) configuration to drive 1 channel with higher current, but not voltage, capacity than the stereo BTL configuration. The PBTL mode is intended to drive load low impedance loads. Below is a comparison of the 2 configurations from the TI datasheet. I only highlighted the differences in the input and mode selection pins (M1, M2). Obviously, the output sides are very different too.

TPA3255.png
[Edit] Corrected typo.

Last edited:

winflex

Unlikely or difficult. In the standard stereo implementation, the TPA3255 chip is already bridged (the chip has 4 single-ended channels). Theoretically the TPA3255 can be used in the parallel bridge tied load (PBTL) configuration to drive 1 channel with higher current, but not voltage, capacity than the stereo BTL configuration. The PBTL mode is intended to drive load low impedance loads. Below is a comparison of the 2 configurations from the TI datasheet. I only highlighted the differences in the input and mode selection pins (M1, M2). Obviously, the output sides are very different too.

View attachment 176837
[Edit] Corrected typo.
Thank you for the detailed explanation. It's so nice having such knowledgeable contributors such as yourself respond!
Yes, that sounds like significantly more work than I thought as a custom PCB would likely be necessary & I would have to find a low impedance (2 Ohm?) subwoofer?
Probably better off just finding a used powered subwoofer.

Scrufboy

I think it will be fine - on par with your Bluetooth. :)

My understanding, it’s nothing but a straight connector-to-connector [RCA to 3.5mm] wiring. (As I recall, at some point people complained that the 3.5mm jack was left-right chan flipped — but it hopefully got fixed since and is irrelevant for a subwoofer anyway.)
Actually, this seems to be a problem still... With an odd byproduct. I have the A3001 subwoofer Amp as well as the A07. When I plug a 3.5mm plug into the A07, with the plan to plug this into the A3001, left/right testing has sound bleading across both channels. When I unplug the 3.5 plug. The sound is fine. I can't return it because I opened it. What do I do now? Buy another? Attempt to fix it? Starting to hate this Amp and the path it put me on

Raindog123

Major Contributor
When I plug a 3.5mm plug into the A07, with the plan to plug this into the A3001, left/right testing has sound bleading across both channels. When I unplug the 3.5 plug. The sound is fine.

Sounds like your A07-to-A3001 cable (or the A3001 itself) is shorting Aiyima’s left-right inputs. Probably as you’re using a mono cable/3.5 jack. Can you try a stereo cable (and make sure only one channel is plugged into the A3001)? Or use this on the A07 side, and again only one channel…

Alternatively, you can use an RCA Y-splitter on one of your A07‘s RCA input channels (either left or right), and send it (this one channel) to the subwoofer amp.

EDIT: First googled “A3001 subwoofer amp”, got this and this. But after I checked your other posts, saw it was an Aiyima subwoofer amp… :)

Last edited:

Scrufboy

Do you mean a JBL GX-A3001 mono subwoofer amp?

Sounds like your A07-to-A3001 cable shorts Aiyima’s left-right inputs, probably as you’re using a mono cable/3.5 jack. Can you try a stereo cable (and make sure only one channel is used on the A3001 side)?

Alternatively, you can use an RCA Y-splitter on one of your A07 input channels (either left or right), and send it to the subwoofer amp.
Are you for real? Aiyima makes an A3001 subwoofer amp. So no on that JBL

So you think I don't know what a stereo 3.5mm TRR plug looks like? Damn... That presumes I'm stupid...

I'm feeding the A07's RCA inputs from a Schiit Hel2 DAC with a 3.5mm to RCA interconnect... DAC to amp, on this setup, everything is fine...

Plug STEREO 3.5mm in to the 3.5 socket of the A07 and there is high frequency crosstalk while doing L/R channel testing in some scenarios ...

I assumed it was the known issue with the A07 having the 3.5mm socket wired incorrectly as the person I am replying to on this thread has pointed out. I may have one of these units. But so far all testing of the rca and 3.5mm sockets have proven that it's wired correctly... At least we believe it is.

I think you are trying to help, but you need to understand the issue correctly first and stop approaching this like I'm an idiot and it's me b too stupid to know what a 3.5mm TRR plug is.
I'm not trying to be rude, But your presumption that I would be using a 3.5mm to Stereo RCA interconnect and somehow it's a mono cable? Is there such a cable? I don't think so.

This crosstalk phenomenon happens when I plug the Stereo 3.5mm plug in to run to the sub amp... ... I don't even need to plug the left and right RCA plugs into anything and I can just leave them separated on the table... And the error occurs

I've used several APPROPRIATE cables now and it's the same thing with each one.

Again, I'm sorry, but I'm already frustrated with the issue and the issue isn't me being as stupid as you imply .

I've been troubleshooting this for hours now with an audio engineer associate of mine and we are about to dive into schematics. That's for tomorrow though.

Something isn't right We have done test after test and the error makes no sense. It is also easily repeatable as we have discovered.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
I'm not trying to be rude, ....
But you are. My first thought also was mono TS connector, since Subs normally take a single channel. No-one here knows the capability of other people unless they've had ongoing interactions, and the first issues to eliminate are the obvious. No one doing this is "assuming you are stupid" that is in your own imagination. You made no mention of how you were connecting.

The "offended" way you reacted to this was rude - especially when directed at someone trying to help you. It is also very counter productive. Others are unlikely to want to help in case they provoke a similar reaction.

Last edited:

Scrufboy

But you are. My first thought also was mono TS connector, since Subs normally take a single channel. No-one here knows the capability of other people unless they've had ongoing interactions, and the first issues to eliminate are the obvious. No one doing this is "assuming you are stupid" that is in your own imagination. You made no mention of how you were connecting.

The "offended" way you reacted to this was rude - especially when directed at someone trying to help you. It is also very counter productive. Others are unlikely to want to help in case they provoke a similar reaction.
No, just because you think I'm being rude.. Doesn't make it so...

You said my problem is "Probably as you’re using a mono cable/3.5" This infers that you believe I do not know what I'm doing... An inference based on a assumption is never good. So, by your own standard, you then are being rude by presuming that it is OK to offend me because "No-one here knows the capability of other people". So let's just assume versus ask... Fact: You could have easily asked... "Are you using a stereo 3.5mm?" Or "Is it possible you are using a mono 3.5mm?" Asking is how you acquire info and achieve politeness. Simply by avoiding being rude within that absence of knowledge as to one's capabilities. Your ignorance in regards to treating people with respect is what is offensive... Not my reaction to your offense.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
No, just because you think I'm being rude.. Doesn't make it so...

You said my problem is "Probably as you’re using a mono cable/3.5" This infers that you believe I do not know what I'm doing... An inference based on a assumption is never good. So, by your own standard, you then are being rude by presuming that it is OK to offend me because "No-one here knows the capability of other people". So let's just assume versus ask... Fact: You could have easily asked... "Are you using a stereo 3.5mm?" Or "Is it possible you are using a mono 3.5mm?" Asking is how you acquire info and achieve politeness. Simply by avoiding being rude within that absence of knowledge as to one's capabilities. Your ignorance in regards to treating people with respect is what is offensive... Not my reaction to your offense.
I said no such thing - perhaps you also need to be clear who you are replying to - if for no other reason than to avoid being rude yet again.

Anyway - good luck with solving your issue, I for one am not interested in thinking about it further.

iLoveCats

Yesterday, on a prompt from a forum member, I swapped an a07 in place of a Rotel a12. Ive been using a Topping E30, a TV and chromecast audio to feed the Rotel. The speakers are Kef LS50, I've had them and the Rotel for several years, I know what they sound like. Its my bedroom system but is played 5 days a week. Without getting into specifics, the Rotel is for sale soon. I just need to pick up an optical switcher for the TV and chromecast output. Unfortunately, the a07 has been laboring in the garage as an afterthought to just power the garage speakers. Im very impressed.

Scrufboy

I said no such thing - perhaps you also need to be clear who you are replying to - if for no other reason than to avoid being rude yet again.

Anyway - good luck with solving your issue, I for one am not interested in thinking about it further.
You are absolutely correct... You didn't say these things... My apologies for that.

I have no idea why you are chiming in though... The same holds true regardless of who I'm responding too.

Ask questions, don't assume. Those who assume without regard for possibly being wrong are the ones who are rude... Not the person responding negatively to that assumption. Asking questions is never a bad thing... Responding to people based on assumptions usually is. I'm a perfect example of that... Right? I assumed you and the original person who I responded to were one in the same. But in this case I simply made a mistake... Making mistakes does not automatically qualify as intended rudeness. I surely could have paid better attention though.

So again. You have my apologies... I personally would never assume someone was making a stupid newbie mistake like the other person did. I would ask in the way I posted.

There are plenty of places, situations and scenarios where you can absolutely know if someone is a novice... An online forum is not one of those. Just because you don't know the capability of other people doesn't mean you should assume anything. Asking questions is the only way to go forward amicably and avoid offending others.

As far as being rude "yet again". I'll repeat myself... Just because you FEEL that someone is being rude... Doesn't automatically make it so... So, In regards to the person who assumed so much and didn't ask... He was rude to assume. Not I. So your "yet again" is not applicable. Assuming things about people without regard for possibly being wrong is offensive behavior. I'm sure you don't enjoy when it happens to you... I know I don't. Thanks for chiming in though.

May Kasahara

Yesterday, on a prompt from a forum member, I swapped an a07 in place of a Rotel a12. Ive been using a Topping E30, a TV and chromecast audio to feed the Rotel. The speakers are Kef LS50, I've had them and the Rotel for several years, I know what they sound like. Its my bedroom system but is played 5 days a week. Without getting into specifics, the Rotel is for sale soon. I just need to pick up an optical switcher for the TV and chromecast output. Unfortunately, the a07 has been laboring in the garage as an afterthought to just power the garage speakers. Im very impressed.
Dear iLoveCats,

I always find such reports very exciting. What would interest me is actually the "why"?

What is it that has moved you to your decision? I really can't imagine. The devices are quite different. Starting with the functions. You lose, for example, various analog and digital inputs, Bluetooth, USB, tone controls, remote control, etc.. And still you prefer the A07. I think the clinching argument was the sound, but what is it exactly?

How different does the a07 sound? Try to describe it please.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
You are absolutely correct... You didn't say these things... My apologies for that.

I have no idea why you are chiming in though... The same holds true regardless of who I'm responding too.

Ask questions, don't assume. Those who assume without regard for possibly being wrong are the ones who are rude... Not the person responding negatively to that assumption. Asking questions is never a bad thing... Responding to people based on assumptions usually is. I'm a perfect example of that... Right? I assumed you and the original person who I responded to were one in the same. But in this case I simply made a mistake... Making mistakes does not automatically qualify as intended rudeness. I surely could have paid better attention though.

So again. You have my apologies... I personally would never assume someone was making a stupid newbie mistake like the other person did. I would ask in the way I posted.

There are plenty of places, situations and scenarios where you can absolutely know if someone is a novice... An online forum is not one of those. Just because you don't know the capability of other people doesn't mean you should assume anything. Asking questions is the only way to go forward amicably and avoid offending others.

As far as being rude "yet again". I'll repeat myself... Just because you FEEL that someone is being rude... Doesn't automatically make it so... So, In regards to the person who assumed so much and didn't ask... He was rude to assume. Not I. So your "yet again" is not applicable. Assuming things about people without regard for possibly being wrong is offensive behavior. I'm sure you don't enjoy when it happens to you... I know I don't. Thanks for chiming in though.
At the end of the day - it doesn't matter whether or not you think you were rude. It matters what others feel about it. Because that is what will determine how they interact with you. Look at how many responded with thumbs up to my first reply to you. How many of them do you think will be wary about responding to you in future?

It is your choice how you deal with that.

iLoveCats

Dear iLoveCats,

I always find such reports very exciting. What would interest me is actually the "why"?

What is it that has moved you to your decision? I really can't imagine. The devices are quite different. Starting with the functions. You lose, for example, various analog and digital inputs, Bluetooth, USB, tone controls, remote control, etc.. And still you prefer the A07. I think the clinching argument was the sound, but what is it exactly?

How different does the a07 sound? Try to describe it please.
From a functionality standpoint I really only need 2 optical inputs and I can solve that with a standalone switch. The topping E30 I already use has a remote and a preamp mode. I don't do bass and treble but it can be done digitally with the Chromecast

Anyway, the LS50's are my longest tenured speakers, had them for years, I know they don't test well, I like them, they get to stay. They do reside in my bedroom now. I know them well, they have been powered by a few pieces of equipment over time. Bridged Dayton APA150's, Rotel A12, NAD M10, Rotel A12 again and now the a07.

The a07, from the moment the Chromecast played it's casting tone and connected, had authority like I've never heard from the LS50's. These things were loud like I've never heard out of my other stuff. So I went through the Tidal playlist of "Top 25 Hifi Artists of December" which is fairly diverse and got nothing but beautiful quality sound. The difference to previous amps is what I've been calling authority, loudness and I could maybe even call it thundering.

Ok I'm sure there's some sort of gain structure difference. I'm not afraid to crank stuff up. I do until the speaker loses its composure. The Dayton APA150's fall apart quickly, the speaker is flopping around and sounds bad, the Rotel A12 eventually runs out of volume and starts fallimg apart, the NAD M10 runs out of volume FAST but the speaker doesn't fall apart, there's no way I could even turn the a07 up to 3/4 volume and the speaker stays composed the whole time. The amp is also barely more than room temperature on the unit and power supply.

Klint

Hi guys, dont know if this has been discussed but.
The a07 from amirs measurement has a gain of 29.
The a07 fromtheir webpage says 21,5.
The a07 from Amazon has a gain of 10.
Has anybody got ny info on this.

Toku

Major Contributor
Hi guys, dont know if this has been discussed but.
The a07 from amirs measurement has a gain of 29.
The a07 fromtheir webpage says 21,5.
The a07 from Amazon has a gain of 10.
Has anybody got ny info on this.
The gain of the latest model of AIYIMA A07 is much lower than that of the previous model, probably because the circuit has been changed. Therefore, the measurement data of amirm may not be applicable to the latest model.

Joe Smith

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The gain of the latest model of AIYIMA A07 is much lower than that of the previous model, probably because the circuit has been changed. Therefore, the measurement data of amirm may not be applicable to the latest model.
That's interesting. I've started using the 32v power supply with the A04, it was almost too loud with the A07 I have. How is Aiyima indicating their model revisions, Toku? Is it on the main circuit board? I've been planning to try the A07 with my one 24v supply from SMSL where the plug fits their socket, but hadn't gotten around to that yet.

Top Bottom