• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AIYIMA A07 TPA3255 Review (Amplifier)

Astoneroad

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
By your logic, go schedule yourself a nice little lobotomy procedure. Will give you unconditional happiness, with drools. And no modding (or compulsive buying) will be required anymore!
You're right! I took your advice. I went to the 24 hr lobotomy shop (they're on every corner in Vegas) and got the $199 special. It worked! Suddenly, a veil was lifted... all the notes had more space around them.... the noise floor was lowered by miles... but I drooled into my amp... started a fire and now everything smells like Paul McGowan's breath. For $99, I'll walk you thru the "do it yourself at home" procedure at my new website... ModYourPod.com
1653306805673.jpeg

DSJR

Major Contributor
SIY, if your intentions were truly sincere and you really tried to help me, then I would appreciate it. But the truth is all your (all of you) comments came very strong, defensive, disrespectful and full of negativity.
The only message that felt authentic ( I'm not sure if it was you or someone else) was the one mentioning I should focus on speakers, room treatment, EQ, etc...
But that one came too late. Only after I called you all out.
I really don't know if you were having a bad day, and I will give you the benefit of doubt. But I cannot believe all of you were also having a bad day.
Now, I'll take my well deserved break.

Peace, out
Are you a newbie to all this? I swear I'm not being patronising, but I was inexperienced and utterly naive once, many many moons ago and went through this thing of everything making a difference and changing this or modding that is going to make the sound better (even went to directionalising fuses, cables, felt turntable mats, drive belts, you name it...) Huge fun at the time until I heard a cheaper turntable which bettered my Scottish wonder-box in all the 'tune dem' ways, which cost far less, lasts longer without the main bearing (1980's issue) failing and needing a several hundred quid 'upgrade' and which also didn't need re-setting up regularly. The ivory tower began to crash down... I then went to a few small 'pub jazz gigs' and, although this genre isn't my favourite, I re-discovered how brass, reed (sax) and drums can sound fairly close up and how absolutely bloody AWFUL the domestic stereo gear I sold actually was - how coloured all this 3-D air, space, 'musicality' and PR@T really is when taken in isolation as audiophiles often do (I also got to know master recordings again and this almost finished me with vinyl forever! and showed how bloody good digital was even then if a known master reference was there). 'Real Life' in music terms is often 'dry,' forceful (not 'nice' as high end domestic stereos can make it) and hall reverb doesn't always sound cathedral-like as many recordings can make it. It was something of an epiphany and took me on a changed direction with which I was supremely happy as the music took over and I wasn't listening to the stereo any more.- And then I got married, my beloved fridge size active monitors were sold as they were too heavy and large and twenty six years and less money later, I'm desperate to get this vibe back - my deteriorated hearing needs it now as well, as a processed 'domestic audiophile vibe' doesn't do it at all for me now. My dealings and chats with ATC showed me the electronics is as nothing compared to the speakers themselves (later versions of my 'fridges' are clearer at lower volumes and measure better too - other makers do similar or better at lower prices and it's this which keeps me going, not trying different op-amps in my digital sources, foo cables connecting it all together or 'posh caps' in my amplifier.

I'm not being disrespectful or patronising here I swear, but doing some sighted comparisons I was fooled and in a later A-B comparison I forgot which was which and was royally fooled (the slightly louder one always won and if I got the levels exact by chance, there was no difference). I've read many documented experiences of A-A or B-B 'comparisons' when it should have been A-B.

P.S. Another forum some years back went wild as per mods to the Technics SL1200mk2 turntable. Some made sense and a vendor of a better supply presented 'scope grabs showing the reduced 'jitter' in the regulator's performance. Another chap made a hideously close tolerance main bearing with such close clearance, the drag was very high and the deck had to be totally stripped out to fit them. He did a high mass platter too, taking a short while to make sure the magnet assembly could be safely transferred over (later reversing direction to a low mass type) and all the Techie owning forum disciples bought these mods. ABSOLUTELY NO proper research was done to check how the drive electronics reacted to all this but who cares, the followers bought and raved about it. No idea how many of these butchered decks survive ten years or so on.... A Matsushita engineer joined up to try to explain how and why the deck was designed and made the way it was (the supposedly ringy platter doesn't ring with mat fitted and is lightly dished by a mm or so towards the centre and so on) but he was shouted down by the forum owner (the 'leader' in all this tweakery and who thought he 'knew it all') and simply walked away...

Some of us here have been round the block so many times, seeing fads and fashions come and go (slit foil supply caps and thin gauge solid core speaker cables anyone - and what about the Peter Belt phenomena which was totally bonkers in UK-audio reality but the main proponent deeply believed in it and 'proved' many things to me at his place (polarised water in and out of his fuse box cupboard anyone?) - which I 'heard there' at his place but could never ever replicate at home...). The ability of our minds to be bamboozled and totally fooled knows no bounds. One day, you may experience one or two of these situations and the 'wall of certainty' will no doubt gradually crumble. If our minds appear closed it's almost certainly because we've been there in the past and learned from it! I don't need to keep putting my hand in the fire now I know how easily burned it can be and how painful a (accidental) burn is and how long it takes to heal (in my case it was a fully heated soldering iron and I still bear the finger-scars...)

I am sorry, this is nowt to do with a cheeky little desktop amp. One thing I've learned from all the above tales I've recited is that if you want 'better sounds' you buy a bigger one - larger speakers, amp-power and so on... Works for me :D

Last edited:

Loathecliff

Scottish wonder-box
Wot's this DSJR???
No mention of:-
1) The 'Valhalla PS'?
2) Moving the Condek on/off switch to the other side? - (A court case winner was that one, wasn't it? ).
3) Green felt tip around the CD edge?

How did we survive? :rolleyes:

DSJR

Major Contributor
Wot's this DSJR???
No mention of:-
1) The 'Valhalla PS'?
2) Moving the Condek on/off switch to the other side? - (A court case winner was that one, wasn't it? ).
3) Green felt tip around the CD edge?

How did we survive? :rolleyes:
Don't get me started - it was Lingo vs, Armageddon really, the Valhalla was gospel right from launch and I lost count of the Nirvana kits I retro-fitted (any who don't know what the hell I'm going on about, please don't bust a gut to find out :D)

No idea about moving mains switches around (I thought I knew most of the crap about this deck since I first used one in 1975, bought my first of several in 1976 and then sold and set them up from 1977, the last one done eighteen months or so ago with a Karousel bearing - nice bit of plumbing that, but it does up nice and tight to the new sub chassis one really needs for it :) ).

Around the time of my 'epiphany' in the very late 80's, another thing that finished it was a friend putting the green pen around an LP record and we both 'heard' a difference - FFS!!!!! The only 'difference really is playing a track twice in a matter of minutes or less before the vinyl has recovered (it was suggested to me the vinyl in an LP takes ten minutes to fully 'recover' after the stylus has played it - no evidence though but it made me more careful in dems). As for green penning a CD - yep, I stil bear the scars and at least it doesn't seem to have harmed the discs afflicted with it. I put the 'difference' down to some laser units being marginal in their disc reading being 'helped' by the green pen spiel but it's probably a load of bollix frankly and not sure if anyone actually analysed the reading of a given disc before and after. What WAS an issue though were discs not made to full red book standard back then, but I'm digressing really badly here - with apologies.

Last edited:

375HP2482

...doing some sighted comparisons I was fooled and in a later A-B comparison I forgot which was which and was royally fooled (the slightly louder one always won and if I got the levels exact by chance, there was no difference). I
This now-obvious fact, often ascribed to AES gurus, was established back in the Thirties by Harry Olson at Bell Labs.

Loathecliff

No idea about moving mains switches around
Ariston RD 11s. Designer Hamish Robertson also moved the switch, so my remark was not accurate. Sometimes there were separate on & off switches. (However my view of Thiefenbrun remains unprintable).
proxy-image.jpeg

Talisman

Forum Donor
The main difference between you guys and I . It's that I don't disrespect what other people believe. I accept other people might think different than me. But not your case.

Peace, out. I wish you all a life full of happiness
It's not about respect or not, don't take something personal that isn't personal.

The discussion started when you stated that "every dac will sound different, every amp will sound different etc", this is your belief and there is nothing wrong with believing it, but we are not asking you to "have faith" in that we believe, we are asking you to try with your ears (ONLY with your ears) if what you say is real or suggestion. Just remove from the game all the variables that could insert a bias, do not see what you are listening to, do not induce changes in volume etc. etc.

If you can claim to feel a scientifically significant difference between two dacs that measure very well then we too will stop and wonder what we are doing wrong in the measurements.

You asked about "Soundstage, instrument separation, depth" etc etc, well, if you can hear a difference in these elements I expect you think you can also hear it blind and with matching volume levels right? It is not a question of faith, here on ASR no one will ever ask you to have faith but only to test your beliefs.

Personally I do not understand people who resist blind tests conducted well, I have always been enthusiastic about them because they have allowed me to understand, for example, that I do not feel the difference between a 30 euro dac and a 500 one, and this for me is it was great because I was able to direct my money where it would really make a difference.

And if you want to make all your changes just for the pleasure of doing it, then go ahead, no one will criticize you for it, but don't ask people here to change something on the basis of faith, if we are here on ASR it is because we are bored. of all those audiophile paranoia that are served up on so many other sites.

Last edited:

DSJR

Major Contributor
Ariston RD 11s. Designer Hamish Robertson also moved the switch, so my remark was not accurate. Sometimes there were separate on & off switches. (However my view of Thiefenbrun remains unprintable).
View attachment 208519
The RD11S was a bit divorced underneath from the original beefed up TD150 clone (Hamish basically 'appropriated' the exact layout of the Td150 for the original RD11 and this was 'further adapted' into the fruitbox we UK oldies became conditioned to for a while) by this time to be fair and suffered for it ultimately. Best I say no more but lots to add :D

Last edited:

Palladium

This little amp just arrived. I'm amazed by how ungodly loud (and clear) it can make my Wharfedale 210s of 86dB/W with a full 2Vrms lineout and the volume knob at 2.5 points above zero.

RHO

Major Contributor
This little amp just arrived. I'm amazed by how ungodly loud (and clear) it can make my Wharfedale 210s of 86dB/W with a full 2Vrms lineout and the volume knob at 2.5 points above zero.
Yep, it's surprisingly powerful for such a little box.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Crap volume log law then if it's ungodly loud with control just over 'zero.' They 'do that' to make you think it's more powerful than it is and you'll probably be in heavy distortion much above ten o'clock on the pointer... Long gone are the days when you'd adjust the gain to have high volumes with the control around three o'clock for legacy low output tuners and so on and maybe twelve to one o'clock for 2V 'digital' sources...

NewbieAudiophileExpert

Has anybody used both the A07 and the Fosi BT20A-S and noticed a SIGNIFICANT improvement in audio quality with one over the other? I'm aware that the Aiyima goes louder, but that's not really what i'm after anyway.

Talisman

Forum Donor
Has anybody used both the A07 and the Fosi BT20A-S and noticed a SIGNIFICANT improvement in audio quality with one over the other? I'm aware that the Aiyima goes louder, but that's not really what i'm after anyway.
I gave the fosi to my father, for a desktop setup together with some small speakers, the Ayiyma a07 instead I use it in a home theater configuration so as not to burden everything on the 7.1 amp
if you want to change change, but do not think of getting any "veil lifted" or "hearing things you had never heard in songs you know very well" etc .... the Fosi does his job very well and also with a good second power myself. if you want to feel a net improvement you have to go higher in my opinion

NewbieAudiophileExpert

I gave the fosi to my father, for a desktop setup together with some small speakers, the Ayiyma a07 instead I use it in a home theater configuration so as not to burden everything on the 7.1 amp
if you want to change change, but do not think of getting any "veil lifted" or "hearing things you had never heard in songs you know very well" etc .... the Fosi does his job very well and also with a good second power myself. if you want to feel a net improvement you have to go higher in my opinion

So are you saying that the Fosi and Aiyima essentially sound the same?

Also, what do you mean by 'have to go higher'? Do you mean a class AB amp?

Talisman

Forum Donor
So are you saying that the Fosi and Aiyima essentially sound the same?

Also, what do you mean by 'have to go higher'? Do you mean a class AB amp?
They may not sound exactly the same, but you may not notice a difference for the same power output. The difference is simply not such (for me) as to justify the change if the power of the fosi is enough for you.
Going higher means going to something definitely more performing, I would also have told you the Topping pa5 but many users are having problems so I don't recommend it at the moment. Let's say by staying on the class D a module like the hypex, the price goes up but you have a definitive power amplifier

NewbieAudiophileExpert

They may not sound exactly the same, but you may not notice a difference for the same power output. The difference is simply not such (for me) as to justify the change if the power of the fosi is enough for you.
Going higher means going to something definitely more performing, I would also have told you the Topping pa5 but many users are having problems so I don't recommend it at the moment. Let's say by staying on the class D a module like the hypex, the price goes up but you have a definitive power amplifier
Yeah at this point in time it's a Loxjie A30 vs Yamaha A-S301 thing for me.

Loathecliff

Why not Smsl da-9 or Sabaj A20a? Cheapaudioman said loxjie doesn't sound any better than aiyima.
& the A07 doesn't sound much different to a Breeze Tpa3116.
(which will probably induce the 'You don't know how to listen', 'Your stuff doesn't resolve well enough', 'Your ears are old' (true) response(s).
But they are the closest I can get to my all-time favourite valve amp.).

robot34

& the A07 doesn't sound much different to a Breeze Tpa3116.
(which will probably induce the 'You don't know how to listen', 'Your stuff doesn't resolve well enough', 'Your ears are old' (true) response(s).
But they are the closest I can get to my all-time favourite valve amp.).
I really don't mind "it sounds the same" or "it sounds different/better" responses, I like those actually. I only mind when people say "they all sound the same" whilst only hearing a couple of same tier amps. As far as I'm aware there are $300 amps that don't sound any better than $30 amps. I'm sure something well implemented with high quality components sounds better than something more expensive with badly implemented low quality components.

Top Bottom