• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AIYIMA A07 TPA3255 Review (Amplifier)

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Sorry I'm a noob in this but wouldn't a 48 volt/3 amp PSU give lesser power than a 32 volt/5 amp PSU?
In the review it's pretty clear that 48V/3A does better with 8ohm load and 32V/5A does better with 4ohm load.

googoogaga

Hi,
I am considering following options on power supplies. Could someone kindly offer advice on which one would make sense for me.
I am looking to drive either a jbl120 or jbl130 from a desktop. So volume output will not be much.
(1) Stock 32v 5a - considerably cheaper. But I hear there will be noise and can be bettered with a Meanwell smps.
(2) Meanwell lrs 350 24v 14.6A - I gather that it will have less noise but will require some diy and possibly troublesome to keep on desk with open chassis.
(3) Meanwell power brick gs220 24v 9.25A - Safe to use but expensive.

I would like to understand if the Meanwell power brick will enjoy the same low noise characteristics of the Meanwell lrs models. From comparing the spec sheet between these two I gather that the ripple & noise is very similar at 180m vp-p. Load regulation and line regulation are worse in the power brick. Will this make a difference to using Manwell power brick vs Meanwell Lrs?

Lastly at low volume levels for desktop usage does it really make a difference to go with the more expensive Meanwell power brick vs the stock power brick?

Thank you for your responses

googoogaga

I am leaning more towards the stock 32v 5a adapter now due to ease of use ( meanwell power bricks would require a din to 5.5*2.5mm connectors) and guessing that mains hum at 60hz may not be audible at normal listening levels?

Theodore8

Forum Donor
FWIW, regarding the power supply discussion: the Audiophonics 100-240V to 48V 7.3A power supply that I purchased has been working fine with my A07. With the A07 volume button turned one half turn, it does not get warm. Solidly built with metal enclosure, and quality G12 output cable. From the pictures, it appears to be the same product as the Aiyima-branded one sold on AliExpress. Of course, it costs double the plastic one used in the review.

googoogaga

Thank you @Raindog123 @Theodore8 for your insights.
I will go with the stock 32v5a for now and take it from there.

The 48v 7.5A power supply sold by Aiyima is similar to the Meanwell smps power supplies in that they are both not enclosed. I think the difference is the Aiyima ones have a plastic flip cover for the live pins. But I think they are probably still better suited to be in enclosed cases. I am not comfortable having those at or near my desk with a baby running around. I searched for a few cheap enclosures but couldnt find any. So figured it would probably cost the same to just get the power brick meanwell instead.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,
I am considering following options on power supplies. Could someone kindly offer advice on which one would make sense for me.
I am looking to drive either a jbl120 or jbl130 from a desktop. So volume output will not be much.
(1) Stock 32v 5a - considerably cheaper. But I hear there will be noise and can be bettered with a Meanwell smps.
(2) Meanwell lrs 350 24v 14.6A - I gather that it will have less noise but will require some diy and possibly troublesome to keep on desk with open chassis.
(3) Meanwell power brick gs220 24v 9.25A - Safe to use but expensive.

I would like to understand if the Meanwell power brick will enjoy the same low noise characteristics of the Meanwell lrs models. From comparing the spec sheet between these two I gather that the ripple & noise is very similar at 180m vp-p. Load regulation and line regulation are worse in the power brick. Will this make a difference to using Manwell power brick vs Meanwell Lrs?

Lastly at low volume levels for desktop usage does it really make a difference to go with the more expensive Meanwell power brick vs the stock power brick?

Thank you for your responses

24V is pathetic, I use GSM220 but 48V output, works great.

Geezerman

Is there a bookshelf speaker recommendation for this amp in the 600.00 range? Maybe the ELAC DBR62

thanks

Last edited:

BB Dogz

yes i have the same type of tube pre amp that i love. its the suca audio T1 tube buffer. ive seen some measurements from it and they actually dont mess with the signal in any bad way and do add some sound differences without ruining it. highly recommended and i will never unplug it unless i have super sensitive IEMs where the hum is slightly noticeable at high volume . would love an ASR review of those as well they all have the same board. it really does in an AB test change the sound even with different tubes, the tubes are run at close to 240 volts so its not just "fake" i hate to use the word "creamy" but its what comes to mind and its 100% A/B able no questions, whether its chinese magic or not its repeatable. To keep this on topic i cant wait to try it with these class D amps to see if i can create a little more fun even if its just an EQ.
@guddu
View attachment 105265
Mine has a nasty mains hum which I put down to the crappy PSU that comes with it. I plugged my MP3 player into the input & it blew the MP3 player annoyingly. There is no DC standing on the input. I have yet to check it with an oscilloscope for AC.

reverbel

Forum Donor
Is there a bookshelf speaker recommendation for this amp in the 600.00 range? Maybe the ELAC DBR62

The ELAC DBR62 is likely the best possible choice. The Polk Reserve R200 and R100 are serious contenders. See https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...nd-measurements-a-really-nice-surprise.23502/, https://thenextweb.com/news/polk-reserve-r200-is-budget-hifi-greatness, and https://www.i-fidelity.net/testberichte/hifi/polk-reserve-r100/seite-5.html.

I am using the A07 with a pair of JBL Stage A130 speakers (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/jbl-stage-a130-review-speaker.18260/), which are great and cost half as much as the DBR62s (or even less, if you buy them at a discount).

beebleebeebs

I just retrofitted a pair of event opals with the aiyima a07. Imagine dispensing of a very nice class AB amp design and moving to class D. But when the manufacturer will not supply schematics for repair your left with little choice.

First things first. As suggested by the manufacture, I replaced the 32 V five amp power supply with a 48 V 8 amp supply. I couldn’t be happier. Granted I had to pad the left channel input because it was being used for the Tweeter, but beyond that I’m very happy with my decision to throw out the old Power amp circuit board and stick the A07 in its place.
In the review on this website for this stereo power anp, Tests were done using a 48 V three amp power supply… A silly idea if you ask me. It would’ve been nice to of seen the test results with a 48 V eight amp supply as recommended.

Geezerman

The ELAC DBR62 is likely the best possible choice. The Polk Reserve R200 and R100 are serious contenders. See https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...nd-measurements-a-really-nice-surprise.23502/, https://thenextweb.com/news/polk-reserve-r200-is-budget-hifi-greatness, and https://www.i-fidelity.net/testberichte/hifi/polk-reserve-r100/seite-5.html.

I am using the A07 with a pair of JBL Stage A130 speakers (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/jbl-stage-a130-review-speaker.18260/), which are great and cost half as much as the DBR62s (or even less, if you buy them at a discount).

Too bad I just missed a sale on the A130 for 180.00 a pair straight from JBL. It's odd how often I "just missed a sale" on things.

googoogaga

In my Country A120 is on sale now at a good price. Will it be able to perform atleast 80% of an a130?

hoverdonkey

A question for those of you with the Mean Well LRS-350-48 - how is the fan noise?

I bought a "similar form" 48V 12.5A (off Amazon). It drives the amp nicely (or, if we are to be scientific about it, it gives "plenty of welly"!) but the fan noise is unacceptably loud. It's always on and gets louder under load. I may replace if with a bigger quiter fan or just get out for the Mean Well if I can be sure it is okay.

Last edited:

hoverdonkey

A question for those of you with the Mean Well LRS-350-48 - how is the fan noise?

I bought a "similar form" 48V 12.5A (off Amazon). It drives the amp nicely (or, if we are to be scientific about it, it gives "plenty of welly"!) but the fan noise is unacceptably loud. It's always on and gets louder under load. I may replace if with a bigger quiter fan or just go for the Mean Well if I can be sure it is okay.

Responding to myself...

I just found this 48V 7.3A PSU on AliExpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000011472614.html?

One review says it works well with the A07. It's passively cooled, so no fan noise. And it comes in a nice case - the Mean Well is cheaper, but there is probably not much in it by the time the enclosure + fittings are acquired. Less fuss too... if it lasts!

It looks very much like an Aiyima branded PSU that is also sold on AliExpress, but is a few quid cheaper and seems to have one or two more components than Ayima one.

Naastradamus

I'm driving Elac UniFi 2.0 bookshelves with the A07. Initially, using the default PSU (32V 5A) I was hearing surprisingly harsh sound. No matter what settings I tried, I was getting terrible fatigue after even short listening periods. After seeing so much praise for this little amp I was pretty disappointed. Then I swapped the PSU for a Meanwell 48V 7.3A and all of the problems disappeared. Honestly I was shocked at the change. It sounded wonderful, non-fatiguing and balanced to my ears. My conclusion is that the ELACs were underpowered and distorting until I upgraded the PSU on the A07. I have no measurements. Just my ears and experience. So take it for what it is. Not Audio Science. My question for the Audio Scientists here is: Has anyone has actually measured the Wattage Output this amplifier is sending to speakers when it's PSU is 48V 7.3A? Cheers

Ralferator

I'm driving Elac UniFi 2.0 bookshelves with the A07. Initially, using the default PSU (32V 5A) I was hearing surprisingly harsh sound. No matter what settings I tried, I was getting terrible fatigue after even short listening periods. After seeing so much praise for this little amp I was pretty disappointed. Then I swapped the PSU for a Meanwell 48V 7.3A and all of the problems disappeared. Honestly I was shocked at the change. It sounded wonderful, non-fatiguing and balanced to my ears. My conclusion is that the ELACs were underpowered and distorting until I upgraded the PSU on the A07. I have no measurements. Just my ears and experience. So take it for what it is. Not Audio Science. My question for the Audio Scientists here is: Has anyone has actually measured the Wattage Output this amplifier is sending to speakers when it's PSU is 48V 7.3A? Cheers

That the sound turns from harsh and terrible fatiguing to wonderful and non-fatiguing with this change is seriously strange. How loud are you listening that the 77 Watts/4Ohms with the 32V 5A power supply of the A07 are not enough? What if you listen to lower volumes. Still the same difference?

Top Bottom