• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AIYIMA A07 TPA3255 Review (Amplifier)

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
As I have shown many times in measurements, AIYIMA and all other class D with output LC filter outside feedback have flat frequency response only and only into resistive load that yields proper damping of the filter response. Namely it is almost always 4 ohm. With almost any speaker, as a complex load, they exhibit rise at the top end of audio band and thus they sound britle in a level matched A/B test with a good amplifier with flat FR into speaker load. The only advantage of AIYIMA and similar is a small dimension and low cost. In everything else they are rather toys than serious amplifiers.
I don't quite understand. Do you have any resources by which I can educate myself on complex loads and said class d amps with output LC filter?

phoenixsong

I tried the AIYIMA with B&W DM601 and Klipsch RS600m speakers....Both sounded very "grainy"....terrible sibilance in the highs...Tubby bass..I'm not even close to suggesting that JAMO 803 speakers are world class. But for $150, I'm blown away at how good they sound. And the Topping MX3 is a wonderful "sounding" amplifier......Poor "tests" not withstanding....Many folks will make Sound Quality comments about HiFi equipment without ever hearing it....just reading reviews and specifications. So sad as they might miss a good sounding product. Time and time again, having been in the business of selling, installing and listening to stereo equipment for near 50 years, I can tell you, in many cases, specs and testing means next to nothing.........Just my real world opinion (and experience)
True, admittedly I do not own the Aiyama myself, hence I do not have any credible subjective opinions to offer on this front ;)

RoyB

Forum Donor
We all have a wonderful opportunity to be able to TRY various, inexpensive, HiFi equipment and if dissatisfied, send it back at zero cost to us......It's called Amazon. Returns are crazy easy. You don't even have to package it any longer. Request a return, drop it off at a UPS store, no label, no shipping cost....I bought and returned four inexpensive amplifiers in the past year as they were simply poor sounding once in my room, connected to good speakers with Bluesound Node2i source. All were given great YouTube or Internet reviews........;)

phoenixsong

We all have a wonderful opportunity to be able to TRY various, inexpensive, HiFi equipment and if dissatisfied, send it back at zero cost to us......It's called Amazon. Returns are crazy easy. You don't even have to package it any longer. Request a return, drop it off at a UPS store, no label, no shipping cost....I bought and returned four inexpensive amplifiers in the past year as they were simply poor sounding once in my room, connected to good speakers with Bluesound Node2i source. All were given great YouTube or Internet reviews........;)
I do envy the availability of products and such drop off points where you live. I'm from Singapore but studying in Australia now- the range of products available on Amazon can be disappointing in these countries

RoyB

Forum Donor
Love Austrailia! Spent a few weeks down there a couple years ago. Hiking the Blue Mountains was amazing! But once you get back to Singapore I'm sure the availability of HiFi must be infinite!

WILL

I do not need a tone block, but I do need a BT. Is there such an A07?! ..

The BRZ hifi TPA3255 with BT5.0 amp. I
It has some interference sound when using its BT.
Not problem when using 3.5mm in.
I don't recommend this one.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I don't quite understand. Do you have any resources by which I can educate myself on complex loads and said class d amps with output LC filter?
What's your level of experience? It's mentioned in TI's datasheets for the amp chips, and their filter design application note that applies generally to their Class D amp chips. Their application note on post filter feedback (PFFB) covers it too, as one of its advantages is to lessen the change in frequency response with different loads.

phoenixsong

What's your level of experience? It's mentioned in TI's datasheets for the amp chips, and their filter design application note that applies generally to their Class D amp chips. Their application note on post filter feedback (PFFB) covers it too, as one of its advantages is to lessen the change in frequency response with different loads.
I only know the fundamental differences of how class D differs from A and A/B. Thanks for the reply, I'll look into those

RoyB

Forum Donor
A friend of mine that has a fantastic, multi tens of thousands of dollars system, just offered this quote.....

"If something sounds good and measures poorly you are measuring the wrong things!"

phoenixsong

A friend of mine that has a fantastic, multi tens of thousands of dollars system, just offered this quote.....

"If something sounds good and measures poorly you are measuring the wrong things!"
We need data measuring the "right things" from him ;)

phoenixsong

Oh, along with scientific explanations too, so the results can be replicated

somebodyelse

Major Contributor

The problem here is the lack of an agreed and fixed definition of "sounds good" which renders discussion pointless.

Lambda

Major Contributor
The problem here is the lack of an agreed and fixed definition of "sounds good" which renders discussion pointless.
fidelity
"the degree of exactness with which something is copied or reproduced."

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I tried the AIYIMA with B&W DM601 and Klipsch RS600m speakers....Both sounded very "grainy"....terrible sibilance in the highs...Tubby bass..I'm not even close to suggesting that JAMO 803 speakers are world class. But for $150, I'm blown away at how good they sound. And the Topping MX3 is a wonderful "sounding" amplifier......Poor "tests" not withstanding....Many folks will make Sound Quality comments about HiFi equipment without ever hearing it....just reading reviews and specifications. So sad as they might miss a good sounding product. Time and time again, having been in the business of selling, installing and listening to stereo equipment for near 50 years, I can tell you, in many cases, specs and testing means next to nothing.........Just my real world opinion (and experience)
Considering you are using 3 terrible speakers I don't know if your experiences count for something. Feels like you the distortion in the MX3 masks some of your loudspeakers' issues.

conuss

The BRZ hifi TPA3255 with BT5.0 amp. I
It has some interference sound when using its BT.
Not problem when using 3.5mm in.
I don't recommend this one.
Thank you, but you missed that I don't need the tone block that it has.

conuss

Maybe it's time to go to an otolaryngologist if something sounds good and you think it's bad.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
fidelity
"the degree of exactness with which something is copied or reproduced."
That's your definition, and close to what I'd argue for, but the friend who offered the quote probably has a different one, or even "I can't define it but I know it when I hear it". With some people the definition will shift in the course of the discussion.

mihvas

=
Roy can you say about MA12070P amp in this sense also?

hestejoe

A lot of people, myself included, have asked about power supplies. For what is worth, I ended with a 96W (24V, 4A) supply from amazon.de

For driving my relatively sensitive JAMO S406's (Sensitivity (90 dB/2,8V/1m)), it is absolutely my ears that are the limit. Basically, I have no reason to go above ~25% on the dial if I want to listen for longer times.

Plan9

Many times it's more about the combination of speakers and amp than it is about the specs or testing. The Aiyima had no warmth. Sounded harsh. Very similar sounding to cheap Pyle amplifiers I use in Marine and RV installations. The Topping MX3 sounds like my tube amplifier. Great bass, smooth treble and fantastic vocals. And plenty of power to even drive a set of KEF 103.2! Haven't tried it with my Magnapans MMGs, but I will.
Looking forward to your testing with MMG's as I also have a pair that are begging to be amplified

Top Bottom