• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AIYIMA A07 TPA3255 Review (Amplifier)

Lambda

Major Contributor
These two look slightly different including the internals hmm
1617792169809.png

Looks like they just made the PCB a little bit smaller to fit a different enclosure

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Can I use a 20V 6A laptop power supply I have for this?

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Can I use a 20V 6A laptop power supply I have for this?

If the barrel on the plug fits, but you will be heavily voltage limited with only 20v. As in, you won't get the power Amir got when he tested it.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
If the barrel on the plug fits, but you will be heavily voltage limited with only 20v. As in, you won't get the power Amir got when he tested it.
I noticed the speakers I'm planning to use are 8 ohm (86dB), so that isn't going to be a great match.

edit: now I also see the 24-48V markings on the amplifier. So nevermind :D

Jdunk54nl

I noticed the speakers I'm planning to use are 8 ohm (86dB), so that isn't going to be a great match.

edit: now I also see the 24-48V markings on the amplifier. So nevermind :D

Where will you be sitting and using the amp? WIthin a few feet it would probably work. Beyond that might get a little volume limited.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Where will you be sitting and using the amp? WIthin a few feet it would probably work. Beyond that might get a little volume limited.
I was looking for something cheap to power the rears for surround (listening distance 3m max). Just going to be small surround speakers like those Kef eggs or HKTS11/16 (whatever I can find for cheap). Considering its just for surround I really want to keep it cheap and I also don't have much room for an amp. The other option I'm looking at is a 2 or 4 channel PA amplifier. Much more power, more expensive and I'm worried about the fan. Advantages are the balanced connections and build in power.

Jdunk54nl

conuss

I do not need a tone block, but I do need a BT. Is there such an A07?! ..

RoyB

Forum Donor
I bought this amplifier to be used in my "Sun Room" for a small Summer System. Connected to a set of JAMO S- 803 speakers and sourced from a Bluesound Node2i.........HORRIBLE! Unlistenable!......I thought the speakers were defective. I connected them to my main system (Schiit Saga / VTA St120 Dynaco) and they sounded great. I returned the amp to Amazon and bought a Topping MX3...MAGNIFIOCIENT! Amazing sound quality and MUCH more versatility. I'm so glad the Aiyima was so terrible as I wouldn't have experienced the Topping MX3!

boselover61

I bought this amplifier to be used in my "Sun Room" for a small Summer System. Connected to a set of JAMO S- 803 speakers and sourced from a Bluesound Node2i.........HORRIBLE! Unlistenable!......I thought the speakers were defective. I connected them to my main system (Schiit Saga / VTA St120 Dynaco) and they sounded great. I returned the amp to Amazon and bought a Topping MX3...MAGNIFIOCIENT! Amazing sound quality and MUCH more versatility. I'm so glad the Aiyima was so terrible as I wouldn't have experienced the Topping MX3!
:rolleyes:

Synergy4

My Aiyima 07 amplifier works well with my 6 ohm Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers for my computer desktop setup with a cheap 48V 5A $22 brick PS. Since the TPA3255 generally does not use Feedback around the output LC filter, some speakers with a complex load impedance can exhibit an odd frequency response. The Topping MX3 uses a different class D IC (TDA7498E) and has a lower output impedance, so difficult speaker impedances may work better with that amplifier.

The review by Amir on the Aiyima A07 was positive. The Topping MX3 did not fare as well in the review. Other Topping models did well in the reviews.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...and-measurements-of-topping-mx3-dac-amp.7312/

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...r-find-aiyima-a07-tpa3255-video-review.21059/

RoyB

Forum Donor
Many times it's more about the combination of speakers and amp than it is about the specs or testing. The Aiyima had no warmth. Sounded harsh. Very similar sounding to cheap Pyle amplifiers I use in Marine and RV installations. The Topping MX3 sounds like my tube amplifier. Great bass, smooth treble and fantastic vocals. And plenty of power to even drive a set of KEF 103.2! Haven't tried it with my Magnapans MMGs, but I will.

phoenixsong

Reviews mentioned the Jamo S-803 being bright. Honest gear like the Aiyama will honestly let that brightness show :p

mihvas

Many times it's more about the combination of speakers and amp than it is about the specs or testing. The Aiyima had no warmth. Sounded harsh. Very similar sounding to cheap Pyle amplifiers I use in Marine and RV installations. The Topping MX3 sounds like my tube amplifier. Great bass, smooth treble and fantastic vocals. And plenty of power to even drive a set of KEF 103.2! Haven't tried it with my Magnapans MMGs, but I will.
Looked for mx3 but the measurements are bad

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Those Jamo speakers are terrible, wouldn't put any stock in that.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Reviews mentioned the Jamo S-803 being bright. Honest gear like the Aiyama will honestly let that brightness show :p
Its often the case.
Like how I never understood why a friend liked to be bathed in a shower of fuzzy bass for his system when listening to my pick of music.
But when he picked what he liked from his music collection, it sounded really engaging and 'emotive' as he would put...

Until I tried the same music recordings on my KTB sourced JBL 306P's....

Those were rpretty poorly done studio recordings with plenty of glare or distortions whatever you call them. The distortions and woolly bass on my friend's system was really masking and smoothing over those defects. Which all came to the fore on a modestly performing setup.

phoenixsong

Its often the case.
Like how I never understood why a friend liked to be bathed in a shower of fuzzy bass for his system when listening to my pick of music.
But when he picked what he liked from his music collection, it sounded really engaging and 'emotive' as he would put...

Until I tried the same music recordings on my KTB sourced JBL 306P's....

Those were rpretty poorly done studio recordings with plenty of glare or distortions whatever you call them. The distortions and woolly bass on my friend's system was really masking and smoothing over those defects. Which all came to the fore on a modestly performing setup.
I used to be like that too, until my listening gear collection grew, giving me more points of reference. After that, I worked part time at a headphone shop and trained to align my subjective impressions with those of measurements- made a world of difference

pma

Major Contributor

As I have shown many times in measurements, AIYIMA and all other class D with output LC filter outside feedback have flat frequency response only and only into resistive load that yields proper damping of the filter response. Namely it is almost always 4 ohm. With almost any speaker, as a complex load, they exhibit rise at the top end of audio band and thus they sound britle in a level matched A/B test with a good amplifier with flat FR into speaker load. The only advantage of AIYIMA and similar is a small dimension and low cost. In everything else they are rather toys than serious amplifiers.

RoyB

Forum Donor
Reviews mentioned the Jamo S-803 being bright. Honest gear like the Aiyama will honestly let that brightness show

I tried the AIYIMA with B&W DM601 and Klipsch RS600m speakers....Both sounded very "grainy"....terrible sibilance in the highs...Tubby bass..I'm not even close to suggesting that JAMO 803 speakers are world class. But for $150, I'm blown away at how good they sound. And the Topping MX3 is a wonderful "sounding" amplifier......Poor "tests" not withstanding....Many folks will make Sound Quality comments about HiFi equipment without ever hearing it....just reading reviews and specifications. So sad as they might miss a good sounding product. Time and time again, having been in the business of selling, installing and listening to stereo equipment for near 50 years, I can tell you, in many cases, specs and testing means next to nothing.........Just my real world opinion (and experience)

Top Bottom